NOW WATCHING

Just watched this

Looking at the plot I was thinking "lol, total B movie" but it's well done with decent effects and acting, so it doesn't feel right to call it one... I enjoyed it, and would say it's a good film. Although something feels odd because like, it's so ... ridiculous (?) that it doesn't feel right to think of it as a serious one >.<

Certainly worth a watch though imo :)

Tomorrow night I intend to watch the mockbuster version

Hitchcock. Quite a funny film, not sure how realistic it is (at home we have a book on the making of Psycho but I didn't read it yet) but I thought it was quite entertaining. Don't expect a serious "making of" kind of film. We also get to see Hitch's (control-freak-behaviour), his dependency on his wife Alma (strong role by Helen Mirren!), who did so much, but never got any credits. This film is about as much as her as about Hitch.
220px-Hitchcock_film_poster.jpg

I'd say, everyone who's into Psycho and interested in Hitchcock should see this.

Hitchcock. Quite a funny film, not sure how realistic it is (at home we have a book on the making of Psycho but I didn't read it yet) but I thought it was quite entertaining. Don't expect a serious "making of" kind of film. We also get to see Hitch's (control-freak-behaviour), his dependency on his wife Alma (strong role by Helen Mirren!), who did so much, but never got any credits. This film is about as much as her as about Hitch.
220px-Hitchcock_film_poster.jpg

I'd say, everyone who's into Psycho and interested in Hitchcock should see this.

I saw this last week (on a plane, so not the ideal viewing experience), but I thought it was quite good. I do think they took a few liberties with artistic license, but it was still a really solid movie

Not watching it yet, but I'll probably be watching Letters from Iwo Jima when I get home. It's the companion film to Flags of our Fathers, but looking at the Battle of Iwo Jima from the point of view of Japanese soldiers. First time around I preferred Letters from Iwo Jima of the two.

Not watching it yet, but I'll probably be watching Letters from Iwo Jima when I get home. It's the companion film to Flags of our Fathers, but looking at the Battle of Iwo Jima from the point of view of Japanese soldiers. First time around I preferred Letters from Iwo Jima of the two.

Those were two excellent movies, I think I prefered Letters as well.

I got this a few years back
http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Fathe...64914816&sr=8-8&keywords=flags+of+our+fathers

a 5 DVD edition of the two movies plus some incredible extras

From Amazon

Like the film itself, the two-disc special edition of Letters from Iwo Jima is predominantly Japanese in content, and that's as it should be. Disc 1 presents the film in a flawless widescreen transfer, with a Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround soundtrack that perfectly captures the film's wide dynamic range. The optional subtitles can be turned off for those wishing to immerse themselves in a completely Japanese viewing experience. Disc 2 opens with "Red Sun, Black Sand: The Making of Letters from Iwo Jima," a 20-minute behind-the-scenes documentary that concisely covers all aspects of production, from director Clint Eastwood's initial decision to create a companion piece to Flags of Our Fathers, to interview comments from principal cast and crew, the latter including Flags screenwriters Paul Haggis and Letters screenwriter Iris Yamashita, costume designer Deborah Hopper, editor Joel Cox, cinematographer Tom Stern, production designer James Murakami (taking over for the ailing Henry Bumstead), and coproducer Rob Lorenz. "The Faces of Combat" is an 18-minute featurette about selecting the Japanese (and Japanese-American) cast of Letters, and how they were chosen through the international collaboration of Eastwood's long-time casting director Phyllis Huffman (who turned over some of her duties to her son while struggling with terminal illness) and Japanese casting associate Yumi Takada, who filled
important roles with Japanese celebrities (like pop star Kazunari Ninomiya, who plays "Saigo") and unknown actors alike.

"Images from the Frontlines" is a 3.5-minute montage of images from the film and behind-the-scenes, set to the sparse piano theme of Eastwood's original score. The remaining bonus features chronicle the world premiere of Letters in Tokyo on November 15, 2006. The premiere itself is covered in a 16-minute featurette taped at the famous Budokan arena, where we see the red-carpet procession, a full-capacity audience despite cold November weather, and introductory comments from the film's primary cast and crew, many of them quite moving with regard to the satisfaction of working on a film that helps Japanese viewers come to terms with a painful chapter of their history. The following day's press conference (at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo hotel) is a 24-minute Q&A session covering much of the same territory, with additional testimony from principal cast & crew. Throughout this two-day event, it's clear that Eastwood (referring to himself as "a Japanese director who doesn't speak the Japanese language") was warmly embraced by the Japanese, and that Letters from Iwo Jima had served its intended purpose, reminding us of the horrors of war while uniting both Japanese and Americans in somber reflection, 61 years after the battle of Iwo Jima. --Jeff Shannon
On the bonus fifth disc is an A&E documentary Heroes of Iwo Jima from 2001 narrated by Gene Hackman, and "To the Shores of Iwo Jima," a 1945 short film that was Oscar-nominated for best documentary short.

And now a documentary about the history of home decor, documenting the many deaths resulting from arsenic poisoning from green wallpaper

Watched The Collection the other night. It is a loose sequel to The Collector. I believe I reviewed The Collector here before, but just to recap, a thief posing as a cable guy scopes out a house to steal a ruby to pay back some drug dealers or I don't know who. Turns out the exterminator was scoping the place out too and when the thief returns the house is booby trapped and he becomes the reluctant "hero."

I say "hero" because he ends up getting caught by the collector who turns out... collects people in trunks.

The sequel is very weird. I liked the original because it didn't NEED a sequel, sure enough it says it is "based upon the characters created by...." so and so. It is such a mishmash of other movies... Saw, Silence of the Lambs, Human Centipede, that it has lost what made the first movie somewhat original or at the very least, different. Is it still worth watching? Yes, the ending is a HUGE surprise I didn't even see coming, pleasantly surprised.

Yes, he was a great movie reviewer. Not every movie is high art and he reviewed them based on the type of movie it was.

I liked Ebert too. He had a reviewer's most important skill; regardless of what he thought about a movie, you could tell what kind of movie it was, and whether or not you were likely to enjoy it.

I don't think I ever heard of the guy. I might have read some of his reviews without realizing it though, but to be honest, I don't care that much about film reviews. That is: before I will watch a film. They often spoil too much. I'll ask if my wife knows him.

Did he also do contributions on DVD extras?
Where did you guys read his writings? Did you do that on his own website on certain other websites or papers?
I might check some.

Ebert has been around forever. Seriously, as long as I can remember, there's been Ebert reviews, I don't know when or where I first heard of him or read his stuff. In recent years, I read his reviews from his website. But before that... maybe it's because my parents bought his media, but in memory, it seems to me that they were everywhere.

Whenever I read a wiki article of a movie, his name was mentioned in "Reception" as one of the critics. So I gradually just started checking out his reviews instead of that page.

When we were growing up, Perun, he had his show with Siskel, and that was the apex of movie reviews. To this day, most movies on Wikipedia specifically list their Roger Ebert rating. It is literally the end of an era in movies.

Back