NOW WATCHING

Watched The Gray the other night with the unstoppable Liam Neeson. It isn't a remarkable movie by any means, and the fact it has a bittersweet ending may explain why it didn't get more attention, but it was better than expected and I for one welcomed the change from all the sunshine and rainbow endings that dominate most movies. To watch the men try to become a cohesive unit and change as they try to escape the wolves was really interesting. One death in particular was incredibly frustrating and heartbreaking.

This movie, while not a horror movie, falls under the same formula that it isn't about men running away from wolves, it is about them dealing with their inner demons and either running from them, wrestling with them and eventually coming to terms with them, specially for Neeson's character, but most of the men undergo said catharsis in some way. Definitely worth renting.

Just watched Cabin in the Woods. Reeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllyyy entertaining. And unusual. It is reminiscent of the original Scream, in that it contains all the hackneyed horror plot devices but puts them together in ways that either you won't see coming, or you do see coming and can't wait to get there. I don't want to give too much away, as part of what makes this movie so entertaining is that it will surprise you and/or get you thinking that the plot could go in any conceivable direction (and it usually does). Highly recommended.

Funny, this seems to be a movie that people either love, or hate. I still haven't seen it, mostly because some of my friends told me that it was a total waste of time. But reading such enthusiastic reviews makes me reconsider, so maybe I should watch it after all.

Definitely watch it! I agree that it seems to be love or hate, but even the haters point to several memorable moments. Can't wait to buy it on DVD.

Just watched two movies. One is "A wonderful World" by Luis Estrada, very good movie with a lot of social criticism, yet sometimes it feels very biased towards the ideas of the PRD (the leftish party in Mexico), and I didn't like the end that much because it mises logic, I mean the main character that was always kind of good suddenly does something very bad out of nowhere.

The another movie I saw was "Trois Coulours: Bleu", by Kristof Kelowsky. Such an awesome, awesomely made film. Everyone should watch it. I got it from cinema class yesterday and saw it last night with some friends, vey good movie. I won't say anything so people go see it.

So finally watched The Social Network. It was everything I expected it to be so I'm glad I waited to watch it for free on TV rather than in theaters. Let me explain. Was it a good movie? Um... yeah? The acting was definitely good, but the movie itself is what bothers me. When I was 14 or so I asked my mom what the big deal was over the movie Philadelphia with Tom Hanks, a movie of the early 90s. She shrugged and said that I would find it boring. I also caught that movie on TV back then and instantly knew what she meant. Here I was watching a movie from the early 90s in the late 90s and it's social message of the horridness of homophobia was lost on me, because I am NOT homophobic. Was it an important film for the time? sure, are there still homophobic people, definitely, are homosexuals still treated unfairly at work in the U.S? You bet, but the Zeitgeist is slowly moving social consciousness in the direction where people's sexuality, like their "race" is of no importance and not thanks to movies like Philadelphia.

In the same token, while many were excited and blown away by watching a movie about a nerd who was butt-hurt because his love interest scorned him and out of it the largest social network was born... NO ONE will give a shit in 5 years. Besides, I have no idea what the real Mark Zuckerberg is like, but the character created by Jesse Eisenberg I personally find despicable. We're supposed to feel sorry for an asshole who was a dick to his actual friends on his way to becoming the youngest billionaire? I hope not, I certainly didn't. This movie is a child of it's time and that is it's downfall, far from a timeless classic or worth of subsequent viewings even.

Hmm, meant to watch that one, but never got around to it.
I have to soon, before its completely irrelevant. ;-)

This movie is a child of it's time and that is it's downfall, far from a timeless classic or worth of subsequent viewings even.
I still have to see the movie. But it would be strange if it's a child of its time. I mean look at Steve Jobs. The adoration goes on and on. I am not one of these people but I can imagine that Zuckerberg also has a strong and broad "following". Facebook is getting more and more popular.

I still have to see the movie. But it would be strange if it's a child of it's time. I mean look at Steve Jobs. The adoration goes on and on. I am not one of these people but I can imagine that Zuckerberg also has a strong and broad "following". Facebook is getting more and more popular.

FACEBOOK is getting more popular, NOT the man who stole it, AHEM, invented it. the Cult of Steve Jobs is different as he was not only the brain, but also the face of Apple's make-0ver. Zuckerberg doesn't have quarterly speeches of the new things on facebook and every change that is made is loathed by millions, who instead of cancelling their accounts in protest, simply update their status to 'i hate this new change." It was a well acted, interesting movie, but like I said, instantly forgettable.

Recently watched Paranormal Activity 4. Skip it. Yes, even if you're a fan... not worth your time, by far the lamest of the 4. The first one is still the best IMO, but the second and third sequels did something the fourth one did not. They upped the stakes.
In the second movie when the kitchen just explodes and every drawer opens? In the third when all the kitchen furniture disappears and then just drops from the ceiling?
fucking awesome. This one? Nothing... absolutely nothing new to the table. So much potential and.... fell flat on it's ass.

Back