NOW WATCHING

It's one of my all-time favourite horror stories (see the "Now Reading" thread!).

What? WHAT? The Ring (like Dark Water... see above) was a good SUSPENSEFUL story, but not scary at all. What made me jump was the editing (cut from a really quiet scene to someone slaming a file drawer and the like), but startled is not scary...

Onhell... there are about as many opinions out there as there are people, so...

so.... what? My Grandmother Laughed during the Exorcist while I almost shit my pants... Does that mean it Wasn't a scary movie? No it means she was not able to suspend rational thought for two hours and let the movie carry her away in its story. The Ring and Dark Water are Suspense movies, not Horror/Terror movies, It is not my fault that the genre also gets lost in translation because hollywood wants to make a big buck...

There's enough people I know who were scared by "The Ring" to prove your theory wrong [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

It is not a theory, don't throw the term around lightly, it is an observation and I know enough people to prove it right. Like any observation, idea or theory there are people on both sides. You know, The Ring was originally Japanese, when it was "adapted" to Hollywood the story, religious and cultural symbols got lost as well rendering it another kill in the hollywood "lets-fuck-a-story-up" machine. I am not saying it sucked, on the contrary I liked it a lot. I'm saying it was a good story (any movie based on book usually is), and it was suspensful. BUT NOT SCARY. Again, not my fault most people are sheep and bought the hollywood hype. Am I calling you and Black Ace sheep? NO, I know people that were truely frightened by it, but let's face it, a movie is a package that starts with the Trailer, the promos and posters FINALLY ending with the movie itself.

If it makes you feel better The Grudge gave me nightmares for a week [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

So, some people can be scared by it and some not. Just because you weren't scared, it doesn't mean it isn't scary to others [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Here is where I hit myself over the head for starting an unnecesssary arguement [!--emo&:hammerhead:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smashfreakB[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smashfreakB[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] Anywho, it was fun to see I agreed with you all along... argh. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I usually watch The Ring when I'm ill. It cheers me up. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Currently working my way through the Blackadder series (again)

Quite a funny way to go through history....recomend it all

Saw Saw (sorry-couldn't resist [!--emo&:P--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]). Awesome film. This is how horror films should be. Suspenseful, creepy, scary (Onhell [!--emo&:P--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]). If you like horror films, go watch it. Best film I've seen in ages.

I've been DYING to see that film! I just might rent it now that you gave it the thumbs up [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Just saw the Family Guy movie - you know, the one that won't be officially released for another 2 months.

God, I love illegal downloads. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Super Troopers, on Spike TV. This movie is possibly one of the most quotable of all time, and it's definitely one of my favourite comedies. From Farva's "Oh shit, I got you good you fucker," and "Litre is French for give me some fucking cola before I break vous fucking lips!" to the college kid's "These snozberries taste like snozberries," I find myself quoting it often.

Broken Lizard, the comedy troupe responsible for the movie, is absolutely fucking hilarious, and I recommend this movie to anyone and everyone above the age of 13.

I saw the junglebook yesterday [!--emo&:o--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Best animated movie ever.

Ima look at the butterfly effect now though [!--emo&:P--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The animated Disney version of "The Jungle Book" was the first film I ever saw in the cinema. "The Jungle Book" had always been one of my favourite stories, and one of the earliest and fondest memories of my childhood is how my father read it to me as a bed-time story.

My favourite adaption of the novel however is the 1942 Hollywood version. It may be dated these days but the pictures remain beautiful. And, ah, the memories...

BTW, "The Butterfly Effect" is a good film too. If you want to see a more confusing version of the idea, go watch "I Inside".

Saw The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy last night. It wasn't nearly as good as the book (who expected it to be anyway?) but there were some pretty funny stuff in it. I quite liked that they moved away from the book's plot and did something new instead of a carbon copy of a story that only works in text.

I've seen lots of other movies during the summer but I can't be bothered to list them...

Saw Hide and Seek today... WEIRD movie, first you think it's a ghost, then the neighbor and then... BAM neither. very suspensful, though the dark photography got annoying after a while.

The Skeleton Key with Kate Hudson... very good, suspenseful movie. I enjoyed it a lot because I had no clue what it was about as I hadn't seen any previews or seen ads on tv. By far the best way to go into a movie, no preconcived notions.

Back