NOW READING

So anyway, thought you'd be interested, I'm currently reading two books written by musicians.

Phil Collins' Not Dead Yet and David Byrne's How Music Works. Bot are definitely worth a read. The former is more or less our typical autobiography, but I must say I'm surprised how well it's written, how much fun it is and it's generally a very interesting read. It might help that I never actually had any problem with Collins in general and I never understood the hate, but even if you did hate him, I think you might be interested in the book.

The latter is ... very atypical. Part autobiography, part musical theory, part musical sociology and anthropology, part music business tips... but I think it's very brilliant. This one is a must-read even if you hated Talking Heads with a passion (is there even such a person?).

On the Malazan front I'm still reading Esslemont's Return of the Crimson Guard - it's a bore, really, but I try to persevere.

Also re-reading the Rowling's Galbraith books, 'cause Lethal White just came out in Czech and I

Opened Master and Commander, but I don't know if I'm not gonna postpone it. Seems a bit too grand a stipulation to make to myself currently.

Also reading The Benedict's Option and The Seven Storey Mountain on the spiritual front.

I finished Flow my tears, the policeman said by Philip K. Dick and I liked it very much 8/10
I'm going to start to read the Stephen King's The Dark Tower saga: Part I. The Gungslinger
After read these 7 books I want to read Dune too

I finished Flow my tears, the policeman said by Philip K. Dick and I liked it very much 8/10
I'm going to start to read the Stephen King's The Dark Tower saga: Part I. The Gungslinger
After read these 7 books I want to read Dune too
Are these books translated into Spanish or do you read them in English?

Just read Philip Pullman's The Secret Commonwealth. One of the rare occasions you can take a guess what the author was reading when he was writing.
Don't get me wrong, I quite liked it - there are not so many books (apart from some encyclopaedias) that have "black metal" "Bulgaria" and "elephant" within the body text - and I appreciated those inner jokes I recognized, or thought to recognize. Eagerly anticipating the third part, and hoping there will be no pandemic involved.

David McCullough’s Truman. Great and thorough biography of a president who did not want the job and worked in the shadow of a more revolutionary one. Not only was it an interesting account of Truman himself, but it was also striking how quickly America industrialized over the course of his life. Also a lot of insights into staples of today’s American government and foreign policy, such as term limits and NATO.

I wanted to read something light so I'm digging out our combined collection of Terry Pratchett Discworld books to work my way through - there's still a few I haven't read. This time around, though, I'm finding the ones featuring the witches by far more entertaining and enjoyable to read than the others. Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are by far my favourite Discworld characters. I love the way they don't so much use magic as just outwit or intimidate people the way only mischievous old ladies can.

Just ripped through three of my favorite Vonnegut books for at least the second time each:

The Sirens of Titan
Cat's Cradle
Galapagos

Like most Vonnegut books, the "villains" of these books tend to be people and their "big brains" which end up causing a lot of trouble. The latter two even lead to a CTRL+Alt+Delete moment for humanity. Which seems pretty apt for the current world.

Working my way through Camilla Läckberg's Fjällbacka crime series. Currently reading book 6 out of 10.

I find the books quite entertaining and easy to read. Not high literature at all, but very fun. After the first two books, you start noticing that her style is rather limited and the scope of her works - somewhat narrow, but the stories are told well, the characters are likable and relatable, and the murder cases are quite clever and intricate. A great series for a quarantine!

Re-reading (again) Desnis's Lehane Mystic River.
It's funny how Lehane broke every rule (plot-wise) and yet, it works magnificently.
Also, Eastwood's movie take on it is also amazing.
I really wish they did more of this who-done-it movie adaptations.

Back