NOW READING

portermoresby said:
I'm still looking for good alternate history or dystopian novels and I found The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I think I'm going to read this one next.

That's a really good book. Margaret Atwood has quite the body of work and has a huge following in feminist circles. Very important contemporary female author. 

26421302.JPG

Good if you are an engineering student or want to make your head hurt from overthinking. :p

portermoresby said:
I think I will get that one too.

I'm still looking for good alternate history or dystopian novels and I found The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I think I'm going to read this one next.

That´s peculiar. Yesterday I ordered a batch of new books, one of them being The Handmaid´s Tale. I also let me inspire a bit by this thread and also got:
Lord of The Flies
Gulliver's Travels
The Man in The High Castle
Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus

SixesAlltheway said:
That´s peculiar. Yesterday I ordered a batch of new books, one of them being The Handmaid´s Tale. I also let me inspire a bit by this thread and also got:
Lord of The Flies
Just finished that one. It is very good. There is lots of symbolism and sometimes it really makes you think.

portermoresby said:
You probably read it, but I suggest Robert Harris' Fatherland. I'm reading Max Brooks' World War Z now, and it's really interesting. (It's also a alternate history/dystopian novel).
I finished reading World War Z. It's a brilliant book.

In the book, US Army used The Trooper as a warm-up song before battles against zombies :shred: :rocker:
EDIT: I copied that part from the book:
The dogs were recalled, racing behind our lines. We switched over to our Primary Enticement Mechanism. Every army had one by now. The Brits would use bagpipes, the Chinese used bugles, the Sou’fricans used to smack their rifles with their assegais 5 and belt out these Zulu war chants. For us, it was hard-core Iron Maiden. Now, personally, I’ve never been a metal fan. Straight classic rock’s my thing, and Hendrix’s “Driving South” is about as heavy as I get. But I had to admit, standing there in that desert wind, with “The Trooper” thumping in my chest, I got it. The PEM wasn’t really for Zack’s benefit. It was to psych us up, take away some of Zack’s mojo, you know, “take the piss out,” as the Brits say. Right about the time Dickinson was belting “As you plunge into a certain death” I was pumped, SIR charged and ready, eyes fixed on this growing, closing horde. I was, like, “C’mon, Zack, let’s fuckin’ do this!”

NightProwler666 said:
You probably read it, but I suggest Robert Harris' Fatherland. I'm reading Max Brooks' World War Z now, and it's really interesting. (It's also a alternate history/dystopian novel).

Then I'm definitely checking out those two books as soon as I can. Along with The Handmaid's Tale i bought Heart Of Darkness. I also plan on reading the entirety of Sixes' last purchase  :edmetal:

NightProwler666 said:
I finished reading World War Z. It's a brilliant book.

In the book, US Army used The Trooper as a warm-up song before battles against zombies :shred: :rocker:
EDIT: I copied that part from the book:
The dogs were recalled, racing behind our lines. We switched over to our Primary Enticement Mechanism. Every army had one by now. The Brits would use bagpipes, the Chinese used bugles, the Sou’fricans used to smack their rifles with their assegais 5 and belt out these Zulu war chants. For us, it was hard-core Iron Maiden. Now, personally, I’ve never been a metal fan. Straight classic rock’s my thing, and Hendrix’s “Driving South” is about as heavy as I get. But I had to admit, standing there in that desert wind, with “The Trooper” thumping in my chest, I got it. The PEM wasn’t really for Zack’s benefit. It was to psych us up, take away some of Zack’s mojo, you know, “take the piss out,” as the Brits say. Right about the time Dickinson was belting “As you plunge into a certain death” I was pumped, SIR charged and ready, eyes fixed on this growing, closing horde. I was, like, “C’mon, Zack, let’s fuckin’ do this!”
What's World War Z about? It sounds awesome.

Wikipedia said:
Rather than a grand overview or narrative, World War Z is a collection of individual accounts in the form of first-person anecdote. The interviews chart a decade-long war against zombies from the view point of many different people of various nationalities. The personal accounts also describe the changing religious, geo-political, and environmental aftermath of the Zombie War.
:)
Btw. there is going to be a movie based on the book, Brad Pitt will play the main character.

Finished reading The Handmaid's Tale. What can I say? It's a wonderful book. It doesn't leave you in the same state of frightened paranoia as 1984, but it gets close. I would recommend it to all fans of dystopian and alternate history literature. It also has a psychological depth that adds to the end result.

Next: either Heart Of Darkness or Sid Vicious: Rock 'N' Roll Star.

"1984." by George Orwell and "In Desert and Wilderness" by Henryk Sienkiewicz. First one is about utopistic-totalitarism and the second one is adventurous story about kids lost in egypt

Going to read Cat's Cradles tomorrow. Don't know what to expect with this one.

I am currently reading The Faded Sun trilogy. Just finished the first book last night. It went incredibly slowly and I was kinda bored early on. I almost gave up and returned it to the library but I stuck with it and by the end I was very interested to find out what happens in book 2.

Because of various reasons (often because I suddenly read a different book, watch a film, waste my time here ;-) or any other bad excuse ) I am often slow wth finishing a book.

Forostar said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I finally finished ALL Sherlock Holmes stories/novels by Arthur Conan Doyle!!

He wrote these between 1887 and 1927. Of course he did way more, so now I'll continue with The White Company (1891).

Natalie recommended me this book two times in this topic, and I continued reading it last weeks, during my short holiday in England. Still not finished, but less than 100 pages to go. :)

I can already tell that the book itself feels like a good portrayal of the lands the members of the "White Company" visit. At times I recognize names of places I visited in France which is funny. Also the portrayal of that time feels authentic. At times, the dialogues are a little long, but the whole story -touched with humor, but it also contains explicit fighting/battle scenes- is rewarding, even though it doesn't come close to the suspense in Sherlock Holmes stories.

Back