NOW READING

Bought The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan yesterday. I'm gonna start reading in it now. Should be good :shred:

You should pick up the second part also. I'm almost done with the first one, and I feel that the sequel will be even better.

Done. It's awesome. In fact, it's so awesome that I'm gonna go and buy the second part immediately (well, after I finish with lunch :D).

Just finished In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin, incredibly intersting book about Ambassador Dodd in his family in pre-war Berlin.  Very well written.

Cornfed Hick said:
I'm not a big fantasy reader.  Prior to this spring, I had read The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit and...that's pretty much it.  But on a colleague's recommendation, and shortly before the HBO series began, I started reading A Game of Thrones, the first book in George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" serial.  I'm now about to finish the fourth book, and look forward to beginning the fifth, which was just published this week.  These books are terrific.  The third book in particular (A Storm of Swords) is a masterpiece.  While the cast of characters has gotten pretty damn bloated, and even though the fourth book (A Feast for Crows) seems to lose its way at times, I can't remember the last time I've been so continuously surprised and satisfied about a work of fiction.  To call these books "page-turners" is an understatement.  They read more like popular fiction than highfalutin literature, but they are quite well written and some of the dialogue is very witty.   And while the story is rip-roaring, what makes it great is the complex and believable characters, in whom you really do become invested -- yet are totally unable to predict.  Highly recommended.   
I started reading ASOIAF five or six years ago. When I got onto 'A Feast for Crows' it was still being published in silly size so it had either just been released or still relatively new. I'd re-read the series three times in the long, long wait for 'A Dance with Dragons' which is a stunning piece of work. I got it from Waterstones on the day it had been released (pre-ordered it) which was the day after I got home from Sonisphere festival) and finished it a few days later. It's only slightly shorter than 'A Storm of Swords' and the hardback is heavier than a book should be. What you say about predictability is so true. There's something in the new book that stunned me and there was my favourite moment in the series so far. I can't speak highly enough of this series.

Small Gods: Terry Pratchett

From the back:

In the beginning was the word.

And the word was: "Hey,you!"

For Brutha the novice is the Chosen one. He wants peace and justice and brotherly love.

He also wants the Inquisition to stop torturing him now, please...

94 pages into this read, and have to say; the book can be a little confusing to start with; a little boring too, but is worth a read if you like the pratchett wit-isisms of previous discworld novels.

I just finished reading Jurassic Park for the first time since I was 9 years old. A fantastic book, and every bit as good as I recall it. Very different to the movie, as well.

I wouldn't say VERY different. The intro is more like that of The Lost World movie, and aside from cutting the Aviary (sp?) it sticks pretty true. It always bugged me how the movies portrayed Malcolm...

But you're right, great book.

Onhell said:
I wouldn't say VERY different. The intro is more like that of The Lost World movie, and aside from cutting the Aviary (sp?) it sticks pretty true. It always bugged me how the movies portrayed Malcolm...

But you're right, great book.

No, it's significantly different:

The following people die who do not die in the movie: Ian Malcolm, Henry Wu, Ed Regis, John Hammond. Gennaro and Muldoon live, with significantly increased story arcs. Large portions of the "crossing Jurassic Park" epithet are removed for the movie, in place of a much more "thrilling" scene at the end.

Um.....
As I recall Ian doesn't die because he pops up in the book The Lost World... or is it just the preface he is in giving his speech?

Malcolm is specifically said to be dead in the first book. He changed that in the second.

Started reading Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947, excellent book so far.

Re-reading William Gibson's Neuromancer. A great book, it's too long since I last read it.

3 books actually.
'The Plague' by A. Camus
A. Camus essay collection
One Lithuanian compulsory-reading book for school

Albert said:
3 books actually.
'The Plague' by A. Camus
A. Camus essay collection
One Lithuanian compulsory-reading book for school

Any thoughts on said readings? good, bad, should be burnt in the pits of hell?

Back