NOW READING

Well I finished reading SIMS and it was a very surprising book. It was a VERY easy read, I liked the omnipresent third person style to give you the full picture and the story was solid. It is about a company that SUPOSEDLY altered Chimp DNA to make them more human and sell them as labor hands. However it turns out it was the other way around! They were never able to "upgrade" the chimp DNA so they worked BACKWARDS from the human DNA and turned people into "smart" chimps! and sold them as slaves! of course in the end they are defeated like all evil corporations should lol

Lyrics on Kiss - Everytime I look at you. Does that count? [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

It kinda counts...slightly...well no [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I'm currently reading The Firstborn (its one of those Dragonlance books.) I know its goofy, mindless and utterly predictable, but it takes me waaaay back my days of childhood...ahhh.... [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Guardian Of The West by David Eddings. Wanted to see what the fuss is about, pretty good so far. I usually like stuff by Graham Masterton, James Herbert etc...

just finished reading brimstone by lincoln child and douglas preston not too long ago. good book, very entertaining and makes you wanna keep reading.

right now im reading the da vinci code by dan brown, also to see what the fuss is about. im on page 100/489, and so far so good. but we'll see..it seems people either seem to love this book or hate it.

btw just for the record...im running free!!! finally!! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well, I just read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Holy god. I can't believe how awesome the book was. I laughed, I cried, I got angry. Betrayal and murder and action and even some kissing to match.

This is not a children's book. This is a book for teenagers and adults.

I don't want to say anything lest I spoil it for you guys!

Pfft Honestly, I don't know what they put in those books (crack or pot), but I'm definately not buying into the craze.

I just finished "Spiral- The Ring II" by Koji Suzuki after being fascinated by the first part.
What can I say? I bought the book on Friday afternoon and had finished it on Sunday morning 5 AM (and I did lots of other things than reading this weekend).
It is a fascinating book and a worthy sequel, but the end is a bit too explicit for my taste. I would have liked a more implicit conclusion, as that would have promoted the menacing atmosphere of the entire story. Granted, I won't give away any of the books content, as even the slightest hint might spoil the first part for you.

Now, I'm going to go back to "All Quiet On The Western Front" by Erich Maria Remarque.

"The secret Raven" by Daryl Sharp who studied European literature and has a degree from the C. G. Jung institute in Zurich.

The book is a psychological analysis of the life of Franz Kafka, a Jewish writer from Prague. His works are full of inner struggle and self-torture, while on the outside he was a nice, witty and warm friend.
As Sharp explains, it was important that Kafka hid all the suffering inside and it only came through in his writing. "One should not waste the inner flame in displaying emotions and projecting our Unconscious onto other people."
Interesting...

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jul 17 2005, 03:32 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jul 17 2005, 03:32 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Well, I just read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.  Holy god.  I can't believe how awesome the book was.  I laughed, I cried, I got angry.  Betrayal and murder and action and even some kissing to match.

This is not a children's book.  This is a book for teenagers and adults.

I don't want to say anything lest I spoil it for you guys!
[snapback]112275[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I'm so glad i'm not the only one. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World and Everything in It by Arthur Herman

The title says it all...basically it argues that after the Act of Union, Scotland underwent a renaissance and became the centre of the Industrial Revolution. Quite a good read for anyone with an interest in Celtic studies, the history of the British Empire, or even the history of technology.
Poor doesn't mean lazy or stupid, is the over-arching theme.

[!--QuoteBegin-charlotte+Jul 20 2005, 07:46 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(charlotte @ Jul 20 2005, 07:46 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]"The secret Raven" by Daryl Sharp who studied European literature and has a degree from the C. G. Jung institute in Zurich.

The book is a psychological analysis of the life of Franz Kafka, a Jewish writer from Prague. His works are full of inner struggle and self-torture, while on the outside he was a nice, witty and warm friend.
As Sharp explains, it was important that Kafka hid all the suffering inside and it only came through in his writing. "One should not waste the inner flame in displaying emotions and projecting our Unconscious onto other people."
Interesting...
[snapback]112559[/snapback]​
[/quote]

By any chance does he also explain how the fact that Kafka was Jewish had a lot to do with his books being about inner struggle and self-torture? After all Jews feel (yes they still do) religious guilt over some religious sin that caused their exile from the Holy Land and they patiently in Diaspora. Orthodox Jews, who consider all other Jews (reform, conservative, liberal, etc) "bad" Jews don't recognize the Modern State of Isreal as the promised land, it wasn't God's Will but rather human impatients that created it.....

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jul 26 2005, 07:37 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jul 26 2005, 07:37 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]By any chance does he also explain how the fact that Kafka was Jewish had a lot to do with his books being about inner struggle and self-torture? After all Jews feel (yes they still do) religious guilt over some religious sin that caused their exile from the Holy Land and they patiently in Diaspora. Orthodox Jews, who consider all other Jews (reform, conservative, liberal, etc) "bad" Jews don't recognize the Modern State of Isreal as the promised land, it wasn't God's Will but rather human impatients that created it.....
[snapback]113151[/snapback]​
[/quote]
For one thing, Kafka didn't really identify himself with the religion of his ancestors. His family or he himself were not religious.

Another thing is very special with Jews. Can we separate the religious and the ethnic in their case? I don't know if there is something like "collective guilt" among Jews.
The only thing I do know is that there is a tradition of study, analysis and, perhaps, a certain sadness. Take Yiddish tunes, literature and even jokes.

(Btw, in my language, a Jew (when denoting ethnicity) is written with a capital J, while a jew refers to the religion.)

It is both, ethnicity and Religion. Orthodox Jews don't even make that distinction, they are just Jews. Modernised Jews say.... a German Jew, Identifies himself as a German for nationality, Jewish for Religion AND Jewish as ethnicity or as an atheist Jew once said to me "a Cultural Jew". This has been debated before, I don't recall what thread though, but it was a very interesting discussion you might want to look up.

I will. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
A Cultural Jew, that's precise and it applies to many Jews in the world. I don't know if Kafka was even that. Maybe.

Ok Charlotte, after a little digging I found the [a href=\'http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?showtopic=8114&hl=\' target=\'_blank\']Thread[/a] I was talking about. From Jews to Muslims to Berbers and Penguin suits are discussed... enjoy [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jul 29 2005, 10:24 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jul 29 2005, 10:24 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Ok Charlotte, after a little digging I found the [a href=\'http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?showtopic=8114&hl=\' target=\'_blank\']Thread[/a] I was talking about. From Jews to Muslims to Berbers and Penguin suits are discussed... enjoy [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]113409[/snapback]​
[/quote]
How thoughtful of you. Thanks. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

EDIT: And interesting it is. Nice to see people who have knowledge and opinion. Even nicer if they can express it.

Back