NOW READING

Yay, another Pratchett fan! :okok:Cool. Lords and Ladies is great.
By the way, the last Discworld novel is published today. :( I'm going to go to the bookstore after work.

Oh, I must check it! Dunno if it will be released in my country today but still - worth checking. :) Lords and ladies is one of the best books in series!

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger. I didn't read through the whole thread but any discussion on this series? I really like this one so far. About 60% through and it's very mysterious.

I'm currently reading The Drawing of the Three, which is the second Dark Tower book. It's much more dynamic than The Gunslinger, which I still enjoyed. Looking very promising so far.

I'm finishing Terry Pratchett "Lord and Ladies" book - I love his work.
Yay, another Pratchett fan! :okok:Cool. Lords and Ladies is great.
By the way, the last Discworld novel is published today. :( I'm going to go to the bookstore after work.

I'm about 30 pages away from finishing Mort, my first Disworld novel. Love it and want to read more. Where do I go from here? Pick another novel at random (since they're all stand alone anyways) or continue with the other death novels or start from the beginning and go chronological....

They don't stand alone!
6b45c548ffdefa7faa6f4019d332920f.gif

Mort is excellent. I've been reading them in a bizarre order, based on whichever one I could buy or borrow next.

It depends. Story start and end in one book but world is changing from one book to another, in first books it's normal fantasy world but later in series there are trains, newspapers and so on. Sometimes book mention events from other book and so on so while you can read them in any order you want I recomend to maintain order if you want get most from books. :) (last post cut this part of text)

Isn't that just a rough reading guide if you enjoy a particular storyline/character..I mean, the books themselves are stand alone right? You can pick one up and read it - You don't have to get the others to follow a particular story.

There are running themes in a few of them, I suppose, which benefit from explanation or background knowledge from previous books, although I'm sure you can read most of them as standalone books.

Oh, and there is character progression so it's good to read books in order to make sense out of it (books about city guards and witches for example)

Thanks guys. Well, I loved the Mort book and Death so..Next natural book would be Reaper Man then following the guide above :)

Amazon.co.uk looks to have all of them or at least very close to all of them.

I think it's worth reading the main sub-series in order (City Watch, Witches, Death/Susan etc.), but I honestly wouldn't worry too much about reading order. Go for the ones that look fun to you. It's like a mosaic - take it piece by piece and the full picture will eventually emerge.

Pratchett wrote these books over a 30 year period....If I decided to read them chronologically wouldn't I get the best picture of how Pratchett "build the world" so to speak?

Some of the background stuff moves with pretty big leaps and bounds, but they're surprisingly inclusive to the series to which they belong.

Well, man himself said that "The colour of magic" and "the light fantastic" are not very good and you should read them after other books. But yeah, that should give you best picture.

Back