NOW READING

Well, man himself said that "The colour of magic" and "the light fantastic" are not very good and you should read them after other books. But yeah, that should give you best picture.
Yeah he's wrong on that. The Colour of Magic is my favourite Pratchett.

You know, Pratchett has right to not like his own work. :) I don't remember reason but he thought that this books are too different from others.

Well, it's not unusual that a writer thinks he got better and better as he wrote more novels....It's like musicians looking back on their first album or demo tapes.

Damn, I missed the big Pratchett talk... :(
I wouldn't bother about reading order, but as Shadow said, reading in sub-series is a good idea. You can go on with Reaper Man, and then I strongly recommend Soul Music.
The City Watch is my favourite sub-series.

@Meliegree , my daughter wants me to nick your avatar and use it. :D

Well, what's the problem then? Go and use it with great care.

I love Soul Music but my all time sub-series is one about witches and Rincewind. :)

I own 37 of the 41 Discworld novels, but I have read all of them. Three of those I'm missing are currently put of print and the last one has not reached the bookstores here yet.

Once you've read a decent amount of Pratchett's fiction, I recommend picking up A Slip of the Keyboard, which collects essays on numerous subjects. By turns intriguing, funny and powerful.

I didn't read Discworld in any particular order myself. I started with whatever was at the library (I think I read Men at Arms first) and then picked up the rest over the years. I've been thinking of doing a chronological re-read, there are some books I've mostly forgotten by now.

Well, man himself said that "The colour of magic" and "the light fantastic" are not very good and you should read them after other books. But yeah, that should give you best picture.
Glad to hear it. I read these two this summer and they didn't encourage me to keep going.
I mean they were fine, but didn't match the reviews.

Jonathan Jones is an elitist asshole, and always has been. His entire life is justified by explaining how he is better than other people.

Rather sad.

Maybe Terry Pratchett isn't a master of certain types of wordplay, but not everything read has to be The Old Man and the Sea or One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch.

Back