NOW READING

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Jan 3 2006, 06:00 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Jan 3 2006, 06:00 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I would disagree.  I think it is complicated because it goes into too much detail about minor things that have little relevance to the plot.  For example, explaining the language of elvish and describing in minute detail the geographical relevance of every location, and the history of every race and creed.  The detail is immense and really bores me, I don't really want to know the history of Dwarves or the fall of human reign in Middle Earth etc.  it may be different for you but I prefer to read books that I can relate to in terms of the world today, real life.
[snapback]126276[/snapback]​
[/quote]

You could better not try to read Ivanhoe, the only thing that happens in the first twenty pages is that there are two slaves that see three guys on horses galloping by and then go home. I tried to read the book but everytime I begin I wonder if the whole book is that boring and then decide I don't want to read the screw of their copper bands are tightened that way so the two halfs of it have 3.476 centimetre to move etc. etc.

What I'm now reading is Artemis Fowl, I didn't read all the parts but this one's part 4 I think. It's pretty easy.

I just finished reading Gathering Blue and Messenger, the sequals to The Giver. While I really liked the Giver... ok I loved it, I really didn't want a sequal, but apperantly a lot of people did and Louis Lowry wrote Gathring Blue MANY years later (2000) and closed the story (very likely forever) with Messenger (2004). Again the stories are about a unique little community in the middle of nowhere with their weird rituals and costums and unquestioning people. But of course someone finds out the horrible "secret" and decides to do something about it. While Gathering Blue is the weakest of the three by far it is still enjoyable and makes Messenger more interesting since you know the backstory. Highly recomended.

List of books I recieved for Christmas:

Terry Pratchett- Feet of Clay
ditto - Maskerade
ditto - Hogfather
ditto - Jingo

Stan Nicholas - Orcs

Frank Herbert - Dune

I've read the first four and I'm about two thirds through the fifth one, I'm particualrly looking forward to reading Dune.

I also took another Jack Higgins book out of my school library today (Touch the Devil), although it'll be sometime before I get round to reading that.

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Jan 10 2006, 04:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Jan 10 2006, 04:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Frank Herbert - Dune
[/quote]
I`m reading it, it`s amazing!!!

I'm reading Hereticus by Dan Abnett.

Just before this, I read Xenos by the same guy.

And they're really good.

I'm about halfway through Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. He's a great writer, but the plot is developing really sloooooooow. It seems like things are picking up now, though.

While it's hard to say exactly because I'm not done with it yet, it seems to be about a conspiracy involving modern-day Knights Templar - a genuine surviving group of the old order. And something about a 600-year old Plan they're trying to carry out involving the Holy Grail.

Yes, "Plan" is indeed supposed to be capitalized above. In the book, it's not just a plan; it's The Plan.

Edit: next up after Eco is Card's "Seventh Son". I intend to look for similarities to the album. If I find anything which is different, I'll assume Card is wrong and Maiden is right.

Now reading John Grisham - The Broker.

I think it was number 1 in some book chart at Christmas, and no wonder! It's a fabulous book, as all of his. The plot is basically an on-the-run from America is escaping from his past traumas and future dilemmas. Betrayal, deceit and interesting refernces diffuse the pages with imagination and makes you want to read on.

If you have not tried Grisham, I would strongly recommend you start soon. All of his books are great but people say he is too samey with books about law, but he has some adventure books aswell. I'm just mentioning his writing in brief because I haven't seen anybody else make a comment on him in this thread (yet).

I finally started Dune last week and i'm nearly finished it.

At first I didn't understand it but about a third of the way through it really kicked off and i've had trouble putting it down since. It's probably the best book i've read actually and I can't wait to finish it and move onto the next book in the series. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I'm still reading Lord of the Flies for English and it is possibly one of the most boring books i've ever read.

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Jan 27 2006, 10:45 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Jan 27 2006, 10:45 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'm still reading Lord of the Flies for English and it is possibly one of the most boring books i've ever read.
[snapback]127885[/snapback]​
[/quote]Strangely enough, I remember biting my nails when I was reading it. (Or maybe I was just a nervous child [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

[!--QuoteBegin-charlotte+Jan 27 2006, 08:56 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(charlotte @ Jan 27 2006, 08:56 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Strangely enough, I remember biting my nails when I was reading it. (Or maybe I was just a nervous child  [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )
[snapback]127908[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Or you fancied Piggy. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Have I been reading Dune too much Charlotte or is your signature something to do with it? [!--emo&:wacko:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wacko.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wacko.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Jan 28 2006, 12:07 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Jan 28 2006, 12:07 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Or you fancied Piggy.
[snapback]127911[/snapback]​
[/quote]Actually, I had a crush on Ralph [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Jan 28 2006, 12:07 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Jan 28 2006, 12:07 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Have I been reading Dune too much Charlotte or is your signature something to do with it?
[snapback]127911[/snapback]​
[/quote]Not that I know of. But as long as it doesn't interfere with your daily routines, continue reading.

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Jan 27 2006, 05:15 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Jan 27 2006, 05:15 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'm still reading Lord of the Flies for English and it is possibly one of the most boring books i've ever read.
[snapback]127885[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I read somewhere that it's a great book but the reason some people don't like it is because it is force fed at school. Anyone else think this is a possibility?

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Jan 26 2006, 03:23 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Jan 26 2006, 03:23 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]If you have not tried Grisham, I would strongly recommend you start soon.  All of his books are great but people say he is too samey with books about law, but he has some adventure books aswell.
[snapback]127835[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I've read at least 3 of his:
The Firm: very good
The Pelican Brief: even better
The Brethren: good, but not nearly as good as the above 2

I say I've read "at least" 3 because I think I've read one or two more, but can't remember for sure. I've read so many of those legal thrillers by various authors that after a while they all start to blend together in my memory.

[!--QuoteBegin-Wicker Man+Jan 27 2006, 11:15 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Wicker Man @ Jan 27 2006, 11:15 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I read somewhere that it's a great book but the reason some people don't like it is because it is force fed at school. Anyone else think this is a possibility?
[snapback]127928[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yeah, I think so.
I was force-fed it at school but I had read it already. So I still liked it from my first impression.

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I can't wait to finish it and move onto the next book in the series[/quote]
Yes, [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] I know what you are feeling!!!!! [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] That happens to me [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--] I had finished the second book, Messiah Of Dune and I`m reading the third one, Children Of Dune. I can`t stop [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I'm reading The Road to Jerusalem by Jan Guillou. It's translated to English from Swedish, and is about a Swedish Knight Templar's life.

If anyone wants some light-hearted and easy-to-read books, try some P.G. Wodehouse. Obviously most famous for the Jeeves and Wooster series, but there are others worth trying too. Don't be put off that every story is pretty much the same - you don't read these books for the plots, but for the wonderful language he uses. If Wodehouse doesn't make you laugh, then there's something wrong with your constitution.

I'm now reading my Iron Maiden autobiography again. (About the 9th time)

It's about a small British band. You wouldn't know them.

Interesting book though.

[!--QuoteBegin-Pineapple Hunter+Jan 29 2006, 04:44 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ Jan 29 2006, 04:44 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'm now reading my Iron Maiden autobiography again. (About the 9th time)

It's about a small British band. You wouldn't know them.

Interesting book though.
[snapback]128057[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I got that book for Christmas and finished it in about two days, I find it very disappointing. It feels like Mick Walls is being very sycophantic to the group and changes his attitudes towards Bruce in particular. He criticises Bruce for leaving the band and almost insults his performances. He welcomes Blaze and this chapter sounds like an "f*** you" to Bruce. In the chapter when bruce returns, Mick Walls embraces him, criticising Blaze! [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Along from the fact that this book was written 3 or 4 times for updating purposes, it has a lack of continuity about it. At the start there is a lot written about the early days, then the "golden years" are taken in very quickly with the amount of praise for RiR and DoD etc dragging out the end of the book [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back