NOW READING

[!--quoteo(post=128777:date=Feb 10 2006, 09:47 PM:name=SneakySneaky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SneakySneaky @ Feb 10 2006, 09:47 PM) [snapback]128777[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I'm reading Foucaults' Pendulum by Umberto Eco. The beginning of the book just sucks. Bla,bla,bla a lot of philosophy and I'm about to sleep. He gets better afterwards though. Now I'm actually interested in reading it! I'm just hoping it'll stay as good as it is now.
[/quote]

Actually, the book gets bogged down a bit in the middle. And if you're expecting a really cool conspiracy theory a la Dan Brown, the ending will piss you off. It's quite a difficult read, especially if you picked it up expecting a thriller or conspiracy book. Personally, I quite liked it, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. And I wouldn't read it again (took WAYYY too long and too many confusing Kabbalah references)

[!--quoteo(post=130138:date=Mar 1 2006, 01:55 PM:name=Foffe)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Foffe @ Mar 1 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]130138[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Right now i´m reading White Line Fewer by Lemmy.
[/quote]
So? Are you going to tell us if you like it and why?

And by the way, the first person of the singular is I in English. With a CAPITAL I. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]

Samuel Huntington's The Clash of Civillizations and the Remaking of the World Order

Basically, he argues the world is moving toward a monumental battle between the west and "the Rest", especially Islam.

[!--quoteo(post=130418:date=Mar 2 2006, 09:12 PM:name=IronDuke)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Mar 2 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]130418[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Samuel Huntington's The Clash of Civillizations and the Remaking of the World Order

Basically, he argues the world is moving toward a monumental battle between the west and "the Rest", especially Islam.
[/quote]
"Another prophet (profit :: ) of disaster"
These forecasters of doom are just looking for a war so they will have something to write about... for shame [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":eek:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"ohmy.gif\" /]

Right now I'm reading The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan.

Its a fantasy book, fourth in the Wheel Of Time series. Its about an ancient prophecy about when the last days of the world come The Dragon will be Reborn (The Dragon being the most powerful Aes Sedai ever [Aes Sedai being users of the One Power, wixards of a sort]) and save the world from the Dark One. Sounds cheesy and really simple but there are many different complications and you really get to know the characters.
Well worth a read. The first book in the series is called The Eye Of The World.

[!--quoteo(post=130420:date=Mar 2 2006, 09:15 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Mar 2 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]130420[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
"Another prophet (profit :: ) of disaster"
These forecasters of doom are just looking for a war so they will have something to write about... for shame [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":eek:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"ohmy.gif\" /]
[/quote]
I disagree, nothing wrong with having a hypothesis, however pesimistic it is and writing out an analysis. There are other books out there also proclaiming the death of democracy and promoting the need for a new system (Empire is the title of the book, i don't remember who wrote it though). We are undergoing major changes in our world and very quickly. Also, to me he is just stating the obvious because every time I read or watch the news it's nothing except how the West keeps pissing off the middle east and how everybody hates the West, specially the U.S, but the EU isn't exactly getting any love either.

"Time and Again" by Jack Finney, at the moment. (Quite an interesting read...)

And before that I'd just finished "Notes From a Small Island" by Bill Bryson which is AWESOME! I recommend it to everyone - it's quite hilarious!

I'm reading a collection of stories by H.P. Lovecraft. I'm starting out with "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". It's being set up nicely- not at all boring. It has very vivid descriptions of the ominous surroundings and the odd people. The story is very intriguing so far, so I hope it continues on that way!

l'Étranger (The Stranger), by Albert Camus (I read the German version, so, no, I didn't start speaking French overnight).

It basically describes the act of a murder, the events leading to it, and the aftermath. The book is written from the perspective -shall I even say mind?- of the murderer, and in effect shows how people who are not part of anything, as hard as they try, are ultimately unable to judge an event they have not participated in. People try to analyse the protagonist in this book, and come up with satisfactory, every day results which in no way reflect what is going on in the person's mind. However, this can also serve to point out that a person can be unaware of his own actions, of what they can lead to, and that to the someone who does something wrong, he himself may be, or most probably is, unaware of that.
In the end, the protagonist is sentenced to death and awaits his execution. During the process of waiting, he realises that the world he lives in holds nothing for him, and he is not sorry to part with it.

The book tells me a lot, but I don't feel like typing it here. I think everybody interested should read it and try to find their own interpretations of it.

I've started to read 'I, Claudius', by Robert Graves. At last. It's one of those books which I've been meaning to read for a long time now, but in this hectic life of mine I sadly don't find much time to read books. I'll report back in a year or so, by which time I might have finished it. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

Spread the word! He's started!

I personally couldn't lay the book down until I was finished. The old Romans have never been as entertaining.

As for me, it's the third time I've went through Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho (prepares for the hail of rotten tomatoes). The novel's protagonist, Patrick Bateman is a handsome 26-year-old Wall Street yuppie, who spends his days listening to Whitney Houston and working out which exclusive restaurant to eat in and what clothes to wear in a dizzying parody of 1980s consumerism run mad.

And as the title implies, there is a darker side to this handsome young man, with a penchant for torturing and sexually abusing young women in a very cold and detailed manner (and other blasphemous deeds that Varg would consider untr00 [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /], women's groups were all howling for Ellis' blood because of those scenes) Sure, there is little in the way of a coherent plot, and it's not for the faint hearted but for me, I seem to really enjoy re-visiting this mad world of PB's (now, I wouldn't want to live in it, that's for sure 0_0) Yes, the "characters" are egotistical, and completely self-absorbed and some parts are...unexplainable, but I guess you just have to read it for yourself. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /] Don't expect to fall in love with it instantly though. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

I saw the movie and since then I've wanted to read the book. I LOVE the movie (seen it 4 times) and I keep forgeting to look up the book everytime I go to the bookstore. So thanks for reminding me to do that.

Speaking of Mary Harron's movie adaptation, I thought it was quite excellent, considering that lots of book to movie transactions tend to flop. I knew a friend who has hated the movie but convinced him to try out the book and he liked it a lot. I heard that Bret Easton Ellis' Less Than Zero was made into a poor movie.

They made a movie with James Vanderbyke (Dawson from Dawson's creek) that centers around Bateman's younger brother, also based on a book by Ellis... I don't know if that's the one though

They made a movie with James Vanderbyke (Dawson from Dawson's creek) that centers around Bateman's younger brother, also based on a book by Ellis... I don't know if that's the one though

[!--quoteo(post=133437:date=Mar 30 2006, 11:07 AM:name=Onhell)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Mar 30 2006, 11:07 AM) [snapback]133437[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I saw the movie and since then I've wanted to read the book. I LOVE the movie (seen it 4 times) and I keep forgeting to look up the book everytime I go to the bookstore. So thanks for reminding me to do that.
[/quote]

Yeah, I love that movie as well, but just don't watch it too many times or you'll find yourself trying to feed kittens to ATMs... ::

[!--quoteo(post=133482:date=Mar 30 2006, 11:53 PM:name=Onhell)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Mar 30 2006, 11:53 PM) [snapback]133482[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

[/quote]

That's The Rules Of Attraction. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

I just started reading God Emperor of Dune which Irecieved for my birthday. So far it has been interesting although different from the first three Dune novels because of the characters and setting.

And a lot of the hard to understand at a frist read philosophy, right? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

Back