NOW PLAYING

1670880658115.png

Again going through the score, while reading the accompanying commentary in Doug Adams' book.

Man, I have been (on and off, admittedly) studying the score for several years now and I still feel I'm not finished.

Just listened to 11th track on the second CD, The Doors of Durin, ending with the "Watcher in the Water" set piece, with those aleatoric passages.

I will say it loudly and proudly - even Williams' Star Wars score, which is full of emotions and clever leitmotifs, in short - which is an excellent score by a great composer, which has an unusual amount of complexity for a film score - has nothing on this one.

Accept - Time Machine
Accept - Land Of The Free

Bonus songs from 2010! Modern classics for the band imo, should have been added in the album. :rocker:

TM: fitting intro (like Maiden's intro for the song of the same title) that is reprised again in the song (great decision), heavy verses and great pre-chorus & chorus. The melodies and the ''oh-oh'' vocals are also quite fitting. The lyrics are more ''adventurous'' than Maiden's one...
''The hands keep on turning, the pendulum just swings
Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings
Captured in a moment, still the hours chimed
Joining closer as we sifted with the sands of time

Parallel dimension, guilts fall into place
Driven by an unseen force, swelling into space

At beyond the rainbow, cross the milkyway
Passengers without a choice, slowly turning grey

On through the night, shine on forever
Going insane as we ride the time machine

Waiting for no one, relative to none
Awnsering to not a thing, except the rising sun

Bouncing on this fabric, at the speed of light
Connecting points of futures past, is its only plight

Passengers without a choice, hanging by a string
Spending with a hands of time, flying without wings
''

LOTF: classic melodies for the band! Awesome verses, pre-chorus and chorus (the scream at the end of the chorus is a nice addition). Galloping tempo too! The solo is great, as always.

Blaze -

''The Launch''
''Born As A Stranger''
''Ghost In The Machine''
''Stare At The Sun''

1- Futureal 2.0! Typical short rocker from the Blaze era, especially the chorus and verses. Only the twin-lead guitar harmony is missing.
2- similar vibe to the song above. The melodies and the pre-chorus/chorus are so Maiden again. The ''oh-oh'' part too. It is based on the novel Stranger In A Strange Land!
3- the chorus and melodies (VXI album vibe) are pure Maiden.
4- his best solo song imo! It would have been the central epic of a 3rd album with him (along with ''Dream Of Mirrors'' and ''The Nomad''). The intro melodies and vocals are 100% TXF and I love them. So melancholic. Verses, chorus, guitar harmonies, solos, intro/outro... everything is Maiden! A lost Maiden classic.

:rocker:

Launch, Stranger and Sun would have been great Maiden songs. Less heavy, I guess.

The Silicon Messiah album was written by a whole band of 5 musicians working together with producer Andy Sneap, so I don't think you should view any of those songs as lost Maiden tracks really. According to guitarist Steve Wray, cited in "At the end of the Day", Blaze didn't have much material in place beforehand, other than a rough vocal demo. That they then aimed to get a Maiden feel in some of the songs, is a totally different thing than those being actual Maiden leftovers.

In Flames - Eraser

Last edited:
''Ghost In The Machine'' [...] the chorus and melodies (VXI album vibe) are pure Maiden.
Sounds more like a ripoff of the chorus of Gamma Ray & Iron Savior's "Watcher In The Sky" to me...

Was listening to Sepultura yesterday as mentioned above, and one of the songs on Silicon Messiah has a section that rips off a section of Manifest.

But you should propably not blame Blaze who doesn't play any instrument, that's stuff that his band members wrote.

In Flames - I'm the Highway

But you should propably not blame Blaze who doesn't play any instrument, that's stuff that his band members wrote.

Nah, wouldn't blame anyone to be honest, music is always going to sound like other music, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over a riff or two here and there being "familiar", just thought it was worth mentioning in the context of this thread, as it's something I never noticed before, probably because I've listened to Chaos A.D. maybe two or three times since the mid 90s:lol:

And a tangent to that, I think Chaos A.D. has actually held up pretty good, I'm listening to Cowboys from Hell today which I don't think has held up as well.

Back