Now Playing (Video Games)

So after never owning a nintendo DS or 3DS, I decided to buy a 3DS to see what the fuss was about. Pretty awesome so far. Already played through A Link Between Worlds and Mario 3D Land and they were both great. I was particularly impressed with the Mario game as I haven't really enjoyed any of the recent ones. Link Between Worlds was probably the easiest Zelda game I ever played, but it was still fun and a worthy successor to A Link To the Past.

Now going back a bit and playing the DS port of Chrono Trigger.

I'm hooked on Assassin's Creed. IMO the best was Ezio's story (II, Brotherhood and Revelation). Since I gave my 360 to my brother I won't be playing black flag anytime soon. To get my stealth fix I started THIEF, which is WAY less forgiving, even on the moderate difficulty.

As Unknown One already mentioned, I was playing the 2013 Tomb Raider remake. I bought it on the market place and downlaoded it directly to my 360. I think they had it for the ONE as well. AMAZING game. HIGHLY recommended. The sequel, Rise of the Tomb Raider, is a tad more involved, still very fun, but it was hard to catch lightning in a bottle twice. I am still playing through it obsessively, but it falls a tad short from its predecessor.

Other than that, we restarted Skyrim AGAIN and finally getting somewhere lol. What a pain in the ass game, but once you get going you start feeling accomplished.

There's apparently an AC2 remaster for XBox One & PS4: http://www.gaming-age.com/2017/01/assassins-creed-ezio-collection-review-xbox-one-ps4-pc/
I might check it out if it goes on sale, it apparently is literally just a re-release.

Haha yeah Skyrim, I played that a lot back in the day but didn't like the way it was going with the sub-plot missions (like the assasin storyline thing...dunno). So never finished it.

FIFA 17 is retarded. This one player has been refusing to sign a new contract for years in my team and finally he managed to get away for free. My final offer was 1,5 million per WEEK and he still refused. So new season starts and I find him in 2nd German league where he earns 20k per week. Makes no sense.

FIFA 17 is retarded. This one player has been refusing to sign a new contract for years in my team and finally he managed to get away for free. My final offer was 1,5 million per WEEK and he still refused. So new season starts and I find him in 2nd German league where he earns 20k per week. Makes no sense.

Maybe he wants a break from the limelight =)

He was "feeling underpaid" for years :p But no matter what I offered he wouldn't sign. Another classic is Fekir, a French player, feeling homesick, so my board sells him to Barcelona...

Reactions: RTC
He was "feeling underpaid" for years :p But no matter what I offered he wouldn't sign. Another classic is Fekir, a French player, feeling homesick, so my board sells him to Barcelona...

Tehnically, historical Catalon territory extended into southern France so if he was from there ... :D

Last manager I thoroughly enjoyed was Sensible World of Soccer season 1996-97. You could actually play the game yourself.

I'm an absolute fanatic of Championship Manager 03-04. It's an entirely text based manager game. Never stopped playing it since 2003 despite achieving virtually everything.

Playing that game in English as a 7 year old was my stepping stone towards learning the language, and when you consider that I'm studying to become a translator, it kinda shaped my life in a way.

So I actually haven't been playing any new games. Some I've stopped playing completely, like Destiny, which I only played with my ex, so guess that game will remain unfinished. Since the key word here is "ex," I have found myself with A LOT of free time lol. I had purchased the Bioshock collection for the One which includes all three titles and all single player DLC, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, NHL 15 which I haven't touched since the 360 and downloaded some titles from the cloud.

Anyway, here we go... another novel (sorry about that by the way, I'll try and get into the habit of writing right away.)

Bioshock The Collection. I had posted briefly about it when I played it on the 360 and it is the type of game meant to played only once for the initial twist to really shock you, but it says a lot of it that I was willing to play it again, because of the vastness of the story, the details missed first time around and how fun it was to play around with the plasmids and weapons. Also the DLC is vital IMO. Minerva's Den in Bioshock 2 and Burial at Sea 1 and 2 in Infinite are not only really fun, but give a depth to the story I had completely missed with only the main campaigns. I finished them over a month ago and I still can't get it out of my head.

Just how "The Thinker" RODAN eventually circles back to be the ultimate computer SHODAN from System Shock, Elizabeth's sacrifice to get Jack to Rapture to save the Little Sisters, Booker's life filled with regret, specially Ana, the time travel, etc. My brother isn't much for video games nowadays, but I told him the story and showed him a youtube clip of Bioshock Infinite Ending Explained, and he was really intrigued. There is another series (of 17 hours) Bioshock story 1, 2, Infinite, which details EVERYTHING and even if you play the game really puts the pieces together and has a great graph of the divergent timelines.

I use this phrase lightly, but when it comes to Bioshock I really had my mind blown. AMAZING series in artwork, story, game design... just wow.

Also good, but a distant second is the story I've seen in the Assassin's Creed games.

The idea of ancient artifacts given to us by a precursor race is very Halo in the idea of the Forerunners, but it is also linked to the increasingly popular idea of "Ancient Aliens." At any rate, The story starts out great, In the first game, which is definitely one to only play once, everything gets set up, the game play which borrows heavily from Prince of Persia, the characters and the eternal struggle of Assassin and Templar. That is built upon in Ezio's timeline and the depth increases with the cypher puzzles, the animus pieces that unlock your subconcious, etc. The historical database is also really cool. I mean, it is fiction and pop history, but very cool historical pop fiction, even if it feeds into the paranoia of One World Order and Lizard People from Alpha Draconis.

The third installment had so much potential and dropped the ball, but had plenty of aspects I found fun. Starting out as Haythem Kenway and going about your business and later have it revealed he is a Templar was great. Having the father/son conflict between him and Connor was great and i wish we could've gotten more of that, their debates were delightful and them joining forces for a while was satisfying to see. My biggest problem was Connor's holier than thou attitude towards the Templars. I also didn't like how after the first... oh I don't know... 20 minutes of game play you essentially play a Templar and you and your crew are portrayed as reasonable, noble, good people, but as soon as you play as Connor they all become these maniacal, uber bad guys who are destruction seeking, controlling, greedy assholes. And the biggest let down of them all was of course Desmond's death. WTF Ubisoft? So stupid, so, so stupid. Have I told you how stupid that was? Because it was SO FUCKING STUPID. But whatever. I'm not bitter.

What I did find entertaining was that if I came home stressed from work, or just feeling blah and didn't feel up to going through the main campaign I could just hunt for hours. I could go down the list of hunting challenges, side quests, collect animus pieces, unlock the underground tunnels, collect document pages, etc. The illusion of progress since it felt like I did something, but in reality the main campaign still waited. That is a feature I also liked about Black Flag and Rogue.

Black Flag was a return to form, The best after Ezio. The Sailing mechanics improved over the third game, the running and jumping keep getting better, but the story was great. The only other pirate game I have ever enjoyed was Pirates! GOLD for MS-DOS way back in 1992 lol. This game brought back great nostalgic memories. The story was great to, Edward's arc as a greedy pirate to eventually becoming a full Assassin was great. The ending brought tears to my eyes, the song was beautiful and as he sees all his dead friends at the dinner table... wow, just teared up again lol. Anywho, the battles were memorable, great story, good game.

Rogue was very fun to play even if the story wasn't all that great. This is a game I enjoyed because it was fun playing a Templar and because it points out the smugness of the Assassins I mentioned in Assassin's Creed III. What I really liked about this game were all the side missions. Finding the cave paintings, Viking Sword pieces, buried treasure, all the tablets and hacking all the computers was a lot of fun.

Needless to say I am Assassin's Creed out. I do have the Ezio Collection for the One and plan on revisiting it soon, but I doubt I'll get any of the sequels, including the new Origins.

Speaking of Precursors and Forerunners, I gave Halo another whirl with the Master Chief collection.

This is a game I got for nostalgic reasons. It was at the height of my friendship with the person who introduced it to me, we played 1 and 2 in co-op and it was a lot of fun. I wasn't familiar with FPS at the time so in the first game he babysat me constantly, but patiently. In the second I held my own much better. The idea was to play them through as we were awaiting the release of Halo 3 and play it through together from the start. But life happens, jobs, schedules, relationships, etc pile up and take up time and we NEVER did it. I finally have a decent internet connection, a proper console and I thought I would play 1 and 2 through by myself to get reacquainted and then play 3 and 4 in co-op.

I have to agree with LooseCannon after all these years... not a great game. I realize now that the reason I had such a good time with it was, because I hadn't played other FPS (no point of comparison), it was with a friend (everything is better with a friend!), and he was SO into it his passion was contagious. Yet after playing Bioshock and even Borderlands, which while definitely not a deep game it was fun and funny, o my god SO funny. Halo lacks the depth of bioshock and the humor of Borderlands. It is incredibly straightforward and short. Now that I have played several FPSs I was dealing out head shots like fucking Oprah, "You get a head shot! You get a head shot! EVERYONE GETS A HEADSHOT!" I was surprised as to how quickly I powered through both 1 and 2, then I realized it was probably my lack of skill that held us back when I played it with my friend. After all you are only as fast as the slowest person in your party, right?

Ever since I moved back to Mexico he hasn't picked up my invites through xbox, my cell reception is crap and our mutual friend says that's useless too as he hasn't been able to get him on the phone anyway. So since he has gone into full hermit mode Halo 3 and 4 may have to wait or I'll just eventually run through them solo.

Destiny is the one I really don't like playing by myself, definitely a community experience, but like I said, with the ex now an ex.... it just sits there.

While I debate what to pick up next (NHL 15, Tomb Raider DLC, Batman Return to Arkham collection or downloaded games like Watchdogs or Outlast) I may just start writing instead.

Just finished the main quest in Breath Of the Wild. What an incredible game. I've never been a huge fan of 3D Zelda, so when this was announced I was curious but didn't expect it to do much for me. I was so wrong. Easily the best 3D Zelda and probably in my top 3 (along with Link To the Past and the original game). It got great reviews across the board and is one of the few games that I found actually lived up to all the hype. I'm also typically not too interested in the story of a game, but I actually really liked BOTW's story and the way it was revealed.

I'll also say it's not a perfect game, which is actually good because there's even more potential for the next game in the series. I was kinda meh on the Divine Beasts, they felt like a digression from what I was enjoying in the game (I got it on launch day but only finished the main quest today because I was putting off the last Divine Beast for so long) and I didn't like the dungeon layouts. Hopefully the next game will go back to a more traditional dungeon style and hopefully have more than 4. There's also the issue of weapon durability, which isn't a mechanic I'm totally against, but it felt like the stronger weapons should've been more durable.

Other than that, I really don't have any complaints. It's a massive game with lots to do and I'm excited to finish up all the shrines and side quests. Definitely the best game I've played in a long time, maybe since the N64 era.

I can't 3D Zelda or 3D Metroid. 3D with a gamepad is kind of idiotic, not to mention Wii motion stuff.

I was looking into emulating Metroid Prime on my PC, so I could potentially map keyboard+mouse, and 'hack' into the game for some graphics mods. Why? PAL/NTSC (700p 4:3) resolution for a 3D shooter with a build in HUD overlay. Horrid field of view.
I had played and beaten Quake when it came out, on a 17" screen and Super VGA (1024p 4:3) graphics. It was a great PC for the time (Pentium 100 with S3 graphics), but nowhere near the extremes. Affordable investment for someone into computers. And yet, years after Nintendo, and all other consoles, can't deliver same experience.

I've got Wii but I'll pass anything further. I only like Nintendo because of the franchises not available on PC. Metroid, Zelda, Donkey Kong, even Mario.

And now a great recommendation, Metroid AM2R (another metroid 2 remake) :

am2r-another-metroid-2-remake-3.jpg

It's been in development for years. On the release day, Nintendo started with cease and desist, which was cleared in a day or two. I downloaded it then, been playing it slowly since. Now when I googled, there seems to be new legal action against the maker, I can't vouch for other sites providing download so if you want it, send a PM. And yeah, fuck Nintendo. This guy made real effort, started as a Game Maker project but he switched to regular C++ development tools later. Nintendo is probably suing him for using sprites extracted from GBA roms, who cares, it's free.

Yea I heard about the AM2R thing. Nintendo has their own Metroid 2 remake coming in a couple months.

There's something that really grinds my gears about gaming and no matter how much I try to think "Just let it go, ain't your fault" I usually end up feeling bad about it. I'm talking about being a sore loser in CS:GO. I almost exclusively play with a 5-man team with my friends because queuing alone is pretty boring. Anyway, the guys I play with rage so easily, blame the enemy for cheating every time they hit an above-average shot and have an overall negative attitude towards the game. I've heard "CS sucks" so many times out of them and yet they want to play again the next day. I never take the game so seriously as to rage or say things I don't really mean. Often, this results in me having to feel like shit because everyone else is too immature to just enjoy the game or think "we lost, what the hell ever". Why do they never fucking learn? Enjoy the game or stop playing it for good.
Edit: The line that drives me nuts the most is when one of the smartasses says "Classic CS experience" after losing a round or the game. Nothing's classic about it, we just lost because we suck compared to our enemies. Suck it up and stop baby-raging.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "CS:GO?" From your description I'll venture to say it is a FPS. I have a friend who plays A LOT of FPSs and is quite adept at them. He gets accused of "cheating" for his above-average amount of headshots. I agree with you that it seems to be a common experience that below-average to average players can't seem to have fun and blame their lack of enjoyment on better players. Immaturity indeed. My ex and I bumped into that when we played Destiny. Glad I'm not playing that POS anymore.

Counter Strike : Global Offensive. One of the most popular online games ever.

Some Rammstein and World of Warships from yours truly

Last edited by a moderator:
Back