Now drinking

Another one from Yorkshire:
View attachment 10721
Now, the very existence of this brewery amuses me and here's why:

Saltaire is a Victorian model village built by Titus Salt to house his workers. One of the original rules of the place was that there were to be no pubs in the village (allegedly due to his personal beliefs - he was a Methodist (or something) - but more likely due to straighforward "horse sense" because he didn't want his workers drunk on duty). And this remained the case until comparatively recently but there are a few now (including one amusingly named "Don't Tell Titus").

Now the place has its own brewery. How times (and opinions) change!
Very probably Methodism as much as anything. There was a strong traditional Methodist contingent where I grew up and they were dead against alcohol and drinking establishments. Meanwhile, Saltburn by the Sea (no salt-related connection to Saltaire) was developed by Quakers and had no pubs until the 70s or 80s. Alcohol was only allowed to be sold in hotels and a couple of private members' clubs.

So I'm not drinking it NOW, but I bought and had this earlier this month. My first real, "shut up and take my money," moment. I was disappointed it was an IPA, but for an IPA it was still delicious. it has 2 500ml bottles which are now on display in my kitchen and the coffin package is next to my TV lol.

A bit of a disappointment this one: organic and bottle conditioned. Hipster beer :(
(Perfectly drinkable, but also kind of meh ...)

However, since I don't have work tomorrow:
:)

Blue Moon in a can. Just an appetizer for the Old Speckled Hen nitro coming up, with various nitro stouts and porters to follow.

I’d love to get my kegerator set up for Old Speckled Hen, but it has a really oddball tap and I don’t know that my local distributor can even get kegs of it. I might have to call up the British pub downtown and ask where the hell they get their kegs from...

Ah, can't go wrong with Old Speckled Hen

In other news, currently sipping away at a Young's Double Chocolate Stout. So far it does exactly what it says on the tin

Reactions: Jer
unnamed1.jpg

Yummy...

Back