Norwegian terror attacks

I just read a very insightful comment in a Norwegian forum. In short, it said the following:

- The killer is obviously not on some raving revenge raid, then he would probably have resisted arrest or killed himself.

- He did not just want to kill people to scare others to silence a political voice, but to make a statement.

- By being an active participant in internet forums, he wants to create a name for himself - for life - and function as a point of inspiration for others who share his extreme views.

The best the media can do, is to give him personally as little attention as possible. The commenter suggested the trial be held behind closed doors, and the killer be kept in isolation for the duration of his sentence. A sentence which should of course last until he dies. Unfortunately, I think that prison for life is the only realistic part of these wishes. The media are not going to skip the opportunity for a good story, and this will be a good story if there ever was one. Also, a trial behind closed doors is unlikely for what is probably the most hated man in Norway since Quisling, Rinnan and Terboven.

When I last read the news, the bomb had gone off and reported several wounded.  Then I happen to be 24 hours without reading the news (attending a festival), and suddenly there are over 90 victims.  I'm just speechless.

know it's not popular or politically correct but I'd be happy to shoot this C unt in the head. No reason for him to live IMO.
[/quote]

Looks like this guy wrote a 1500 page political manifest, laying out right-wing extremist views and vowing that a "European civil war" will lead to the execution of "cultural Marxists" and the banishing of Muslims.

The document is titled "2083: A European Declaration of Independence," a date that the author later explains is the year he believes an European civil war will end with the execution of cultural Marxists and the deportation of Muslims.

More:
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europ ... manifesto/

A journalist told the whole thing reminded him of Al-Qaida but then the other way around.

He also made a 12 minute movie, "2083 Templar Knights" (link to 5 minute preview).

I will not read this "manifesto" and I will not watch his video. Any attention to his ideas is a reward to the bastard. Locking him up and not giving his views any more attention is a worse punishment for him than a bullet through the heart (which was the punishment given to the two most loathed Norwegian WWII traitors, Vidkun Quisling and Henry Rinnan, after the war).

I hope he is kept in isolation until it makes him psychotic. The last thing I want is that he is given the chance to revel in his "achievements".

Sorry, I didn't mean to urge people to understand his views.

But I think such views should not be ignored either. These views exist, and they are part of the problem.
"Lone wolves" with strong ideologies like this guy are capable of taking action. This was done in the past and it will happen in the future.

It'd be good to catch signals from comparable souls and try to prevent them from doing the same deeds.

I am glad scientists are busy with the Lone Wolf Phenomenon. I thought this report was a good attempt.

Lone Wolves: How to Prevent This Phenomenon?
Title:  Lone Wolves: How to Prevent This Phenomenon?  
Author:  Bakker, E.;Graaf, B.A. de  
Publisher:  International Centre for Counter-Terrorism

Of course we can not ignore such views, as there are others who share them. However, I think this terrorist should be ignored as much as possible, as attention only serves as a reward. I have seen snippets from his writings in Aftenposten today, and he seems to have been fully aware of the opportunities that were there for him if he was caught alive. He seems to be prepared to use the trial as a podium from which he can speek his ideas - which is why I sincerely hope the trial is held behind closed doors and that media report nothing but the formalities.

The trial? Nothing has been decided about that, at least nothing has been stated publicly about it. In Norway, these decisions are usually made only days before the trial starts. And I can't see the trial happening until late autumn.

I might have understood it wrong. I thought he would appear before a judge tomorrow, and this will be behind closed doors. But that's not the trial of course.

Yes, but that is just a meeting where it is decided whether he should be kept imprisoned or released until the trial. This is something that everyone is entitled to when they are arrested by police. The police are not allowed to keep anyone in custody more than a certain amount of time without approval from a judge. Since it is obvious that they have the right man, he will obviously be kept locked up. It is a formality.

Yes, but these hearings are usually held behind closed doors, it is not a special measure taken in this case. If he has intentions of spreading his poison, it is meant for the trial proper, which will come later. This "custody hearing" is a mere formality, and closed doors here just means we will not get to see photos of him in mass media - for now.

Eddies Wingman said:
Yes, but these hearings are usually held behind closed doors, it is not a special measure taken in this case.

In your country yes, and in mine, thank God, too. But not in e.g. the US where the strength of the media and the obsession with punishment are dominant factors. Take the Strauss-Kahn case, e.g.

Good point.

One thing which I do not like, is that pictures of the terrorist are already all over the papers and on TV. He has already got the personal attention he obviously wanted. The pictures are also pictures he has published himself (i.e. from this video or his Facebook page). The media are helping his agenda. Sadly, it is hard to see how they can avoid it, because the case demands coverage ... as I said earlier, this is the worst perpetrator in the country since Henry Oliver Rinnan.

Just saw footage of 30 youth returning in Trondheim, Wingman, by bus. Quite emotional meeting with their loved ones at home.

The fact that you are from Norway (and from this same city!), makes this whole drama come a bit closer even.

I wish you and your community strength and support.

I'm not from Trondheim (although I live there), but it is pretty much the same in every city. I think I saw the footage that you're talking about this morning, and yes, it was very emotional.

I happen to know one of the survivors from Utøya, probably one of the older guys there, and he had been in touch with Fredriksstad Blad (the newspaper from my hometown). He was obviously pretty disturbed by what he had witnessed. I guess he, and all the other survivors, will be scarred for life by this. (I don't know him very well, but I've talked to him some times, and everyone around the place I come from know each other to a certain extent. He went to the same school as I, but he's five years younger than me. The times I've talked with him have been related to football games, as he is also an active member of the supporter club for Fredrikstad FK)

Back