Nightwish

Too bad, there haven't been good Nightwish album for quite some time, I've heard the latest ones but Im not sure if it is anymore that original Nightwish that I loved. Oceanborn is the best album, even the recent ones might some little moments but they aren't anywhere near their best.
QFT.

Curious fact: The outro of the song ''Wishmaster'' (from End Of An Era 2006 live album) was the outro of ''The Trooper''.

Tuomas is a big fan of Maiden, if I'm not mistaken.

Curious fact: The outro of the song ''Wishmaster'' (from End Of An Era 2006 live album) was the outro of ''The Trooper''.

Tuomas is a big fan of Maiden, if I'm not mistaken.
Yep, thats something I noticed when it was released many years ago. Don't remember if they played that exact ending with any of the shows I was in.

My favorite songs from every album of Nightwish:

Angels Fall First - Elvenpath, Tutankhamen
Oceanborn - Stargazers, Moondance (instrumental), The Riddler, Sleeping Sun (bonus song)
Wishmaster - She Is My Sin, The Kinslayer, the title track
Century Child - Bless The Child, End Of All Hope, Ever Dream, Slaying The Dreamer
Once - Dark Chest Of Wonders, Wish I Had An Angel, Nemo, Planet Hell, The Siren, Ghost Love Score .... this is their best album imo
Dark Passion Play - Bye Bye Beautiful, Amaranth
Imaginaerum - Storytime, Ghost River, I Want My Tears Back, Last Ride Of The Day
Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Shudder Before the Beautiful, Élan, My Walden, the title track, Alpenglow
Human. :II: Nature - Noise, Pan, How's The Heart

My favorite songs from every album of Nightwish:

Angels Fall First - Elvenpath, Tutankhamen
Oceanborn - Stargazers, Moondance (instrumental), The Riddler, Sleeping Sun (bonus song)
Wishmaster - She Is My Sin, The Kinslayer, the title track
Century Child - Bless The Child, End Of All Hope, Ever Dream, Slaying The Dreamer
Once - Dark Chest Of Wonders, Wish I Had An Angel, Nemo, Planet Hell, The Siren, Ghost Love Score .... this is their best album imo
Dark Passion Play - Bye Bye Beautiful, Amaranth
Imaginaerum - Storytime, Ghost River, I Want My Tears Back, Last Ride Of The Day
Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Shudder Before the Beautiful, Élan, My Walden, the title track, Alpenglow
Human. :II: Nature - Noise, Pan, How's The Heart

Hey me too!

Angels Fall First
Hard to choose, but Elvenpath is quite good and the cheesy lyrics are quite charming. The whole band looks so happy playing it live in 2018 and Floor has great time delivering those lyrics.

Oceanborn
Stargazers is quite amazing. Loved hearing in two concerts I attended in 2015. Sacrament of Wilderness is great too - Floor nails it!

Wishmaster
Dead Boy's Poem, Come Cover Me

Century Child
Bless the Child, Slaying the Dreamer (once again, a song that Floor takes to another level... "SO AWAKE..." etc.) and I really like the album closer Beauty of the Beast a lot.

Once
As you mentioed, it's a great and very consistent album. I'd say Planet Hell and Ghost Love Score, but Higher Than Hope has really grown on me. I love the beginning.

Dark Passion Play
The Poet and the Pendulum, 7 Days to the Wolves, The Islander and maybe Meadows of Heaven - it's very beautiful song.

Imaginaerum
Hard to pick one, as I think it's quite a strong and consistent, albeit stuffed album. Ghost River and Rest Calm, maybe. I have a huge soft spot for The Crow, the Owl and the Dove as well.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Weak Fantasy, My Walden, The Greatest Show on Earth... and while the title track isn't one of their best, I'm a sucker for that ABBA-esque chorus.

Human :II: Nature
Shoemaker (FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!)... and Endlessness. Both have amazing vocal lines. I really like The Harvest as well.

Angels Fall First
Yeah “Elvenpath” is the obvious pick, but “Beauty and the Beast” isn’t too far behind.

Oceanborn
“Sleeping Sun” is the clear winner here, but there are a lot of great runner-ups. Just going in order of how they appear on the album, they include “Stargazers”, “Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean”, “The Pharaoh Sails to Orion”, and that epic cover of “Walking in the Air”.

Wishmaster
“Dead Boy’s Poem” is such a moving song. Let me give a hefty shout-out to the totally underrated “Bare Grace Misery”, it doesn’t deserve being at the bottom of most fans’ lists. The highs on Wishmaster are really fucking high. “She Is My Sin”, “The Kinslayer”, “Two for Tragedy”, “Deep Silent Complete”... these are some of their best songs. It’s an interesting album because there’s a mix of the power metal seen on Oceanborn and the symphonic metal they would fully embrace on Century Child, and for my money, the latter type songs work a bit more to their strengths.

Century Child
“Beauty of the Beast” for sure. Underrated epic. “Dead to the World” is a phenomenal intro to Marko too.

Once
A flawless album. “Ghost Love Score” is the band’s best song overall. “Dead Gardens” is my runner-up, extremely underrated. “Planet Hell” and “The Siren” come really close behind. A good bunch of Once songs are in my Nightwish Top 10.

Dark Passion Play
“The Poet and the Pendulum” and “Bye Bye Beautiful” are one of the best album opening two-punches ever. I think this is one of their best albums for riffs. “Master Passion Greed” is so aggressive and I love it.

Imaginaerum
“Storytime”, “Ghost River”, “I Want My Tears Back” — an excellent trifecta of hard hitting Nightwish rockers.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful
“The Greatest Show on Earth” is the second best Nightwish song and I don’t care what anyone says, the extended intro and outro are incredible (“Sea Worn Driftwood” is one of my favorite pieces of ‘music’, a gorgeous soundscape). Lots of other highs on this album. “Weak Fantasy” would probably be my runner up.

HVMAN. :||: NATVRE.
Hard to pick a favorite but “All the Works of Nature Which Adorn the World”, “Harvest”, “Tribal”, “Endlessness”, and “Procession” are the current spearheaders.

Nightwish have one of the best catalogues in music IMO. It’s hard to pick just a couple songs per album.

Tried to keep it to 2 per album but Once needed 3

Angels Fall First - Elvenpath
Oceanborn - Sleeping Sun/Stargazers
Wishmaster - She Is My Sin*
Century Child - Ever Dream*
Once - Dark Chest Of Wonders/The Siren/Ghost Love Score*
Dark Passion Play- The Poet And The Pendulum/Last Of The Wilds
Imaginaerum - Storytime*/I Want My Tears Back
Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Elan
Human :ll: Nature - Shoemaker

* Indicates that I mostly listen to the live versions of this song, specifically Showtime, Storytime

Last edited:
Angels Fall First: There aren't many songs worth mentioning on this album, but I guess I'll pick Elvenpath and Tutankhamen
Oceanborn: Gethsemane
and Sacrament of Wilderness easily. These are top-shelf Nightwish. I never cared about Sleeping Sun. I can't even remember how it goes.
Wishmaster: Wishmaster has tons of uninspired fluff. Deep Silent Complete and She Is My Sin are rather comfortable picks.
Century Child: Ever Dream is one of my favorite Nightwish songs. End of All Hope is my second pick due to that explosive chorus.
Once: No, it's not Ghost Love Score. Wish I Had an Angel and Planet Hell are clearly superior.
Dark Passion Play: This is definitely their best album imo. Picking just two songs is hard, but I'm gonna go with their best epic The Poet And The Pendulum and their most underrated rocker Cadence of Her Last Breath.
Imaginaerum: Storytime
might be my #1 song of theirs. Last Ride of the Day is my other pick on this highly uneven album.
Endless Forms Most Beautiful:
Ever Dre...Um, Alpenglow. And Shudder Before the Beautiful.
Human :ll: Nature: How's the Heart and Noise.

New single from Darkwoods My Bethroted. It's a black metal band with Tuomas on keyboards and Kai on drums. Tuomas played keyboards as a guest for their 3 albums from the 90's, now he's a full-member.

Work has begun on Nightwish’s tenth album. They’re currently doing the first demos.

Studio time is booked for summer 2023.

It seems the new Nightwish album will come out in 2024.

Tuomas: ''I feel it's gonna be the third part of a trilogy started by 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful' followed by 'Human. :II: Nature.' and then finished by this upcoming album. The album will cover previously uncharted ground while continuing in the more cinematic style that has characterized some of the band's recent efforts. It sails on the same waters, but there's some new surprises there as well''.

I think the band lost some of its magic without Marko, but I hope the new album to be better than the last one.

It seems the new Nightwish album will come out in 2024.

Tuomas: ''I feel it's gonna be the third part of a trilogy started by 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful' followed by 'Human. :II: Nature.' and then finished by this upcoming album. The album will cover previously uncharted ground while continuing in the more cinematic style that has characterized some of the band's recent efforts. It sails on the same waters, but there's some new surprises there as well''.

I think the band lost some of its magic without Marko, but I hope the new album to be better than the last one.
This is pretty disappointing, honestly. I’m incredibly tired of the cinematic art classical metal direction they’ve taken.

Tuomas finally got his best singer ever and he’s using her as a piece of his scenery instead of the powerhouse she could be.

This is pretty disappointing, honestly. I’m incredibly tired of the cinematic art classical metal direction they’ve taken.

Tuomas finally got his best singer ever and he’s using her as a piece of his scenery instead of the powerhouse she could be.
I agree. The last album was a huge disappointment for me, especially after the previous very good album.

Yeah, I thought Endless Forms was pretty good, but there were definitely signs of where they'd go in Human II Nature, and that album is really quite bland and unfortunate. I know there's a couple who are big fans, but my sense has certainly been that they're the majority.

At this point I'm reasonably comfortable having only seen them in the Decades tour. They really put on a grand set and Floor was majestic. It might have been the best time to get in there.

Back