Nightwish

It's . . . inoffensive. Kinda just retreads the same "lead single" ground we've had since 2008

Mind you, I still think it's one of the better songs on the album, mostly by default (given that Pan is the only proper standout)

@MrKnickerbocker must read. See above. Alert, alert.

I remember the day he arrived. There was criticism, several fans had to get used to his vocal input, but as soon as we saw the band live, most of that criticism was gone. The man is a joy and a force on stage. Sad he has to go. I find the statement a bit confusing and Nightwish's reaction rather short.
I assume they are not amused, but a bit more words could be spend on his meaning in the band... well after all, Nightwish has always been like that when they change in line-up. This could even be a record. Let's hope for Marco and Nighwish that they fare well without each other.

Last edited:
I’m so fucking sad right now. Marko is such a great singer, such a gripping performer. He’s become, personally, one of my biggest inspirations. This really hurts, but I do hope that the break means he can focus on his mental health more as he said. That’s ultimately more important. But damn.

I have no interest in Troy, the sleepy-eyed hippie, taking over his vocal parts.
I remain an ardent defender of Troy, his voice is really kinda magical, whether he’s singing or speaking. Very rustic, very soothing.

But while he might be able to succeed at songs like “Endlessness”, “The Islander”, “The Crow, The Owl And The Dove”, there’s no way he has the lungs to crush the big monsters like “Planet Hell”, “The Poet And The Pendulum”, and “Ghost River”. It leads me to wonder if they’ll stop writing and performing songs like this going forward. The band is definitely moving toward a folkier style so it might not be a big jump for them, but Tuomas also stated before that he didn’t want anymore lineup changes... and this one is huge. Idk. I’m actually really interested in seeing what Nightwish do next at the same time as being depressed about his departure.

Yeah, this just sucks. Marko’s presence in Nightwish is completely irreplaceable to me. Finding someone else with his stage presence, songwriting ability, musical competence, and THAT VOICE is going to be impossible.
Completely agree with you. First Jukka (who is a great drummer and one of my favorite drummers - such a energy live) and now Marco... the third key change (Floor) was awesome though... (from the second attempt). Tarja is awesome too.

I remain an ardent defender of Troy, his voice is really kinda magical, whether he’s singing or speaking. Very rustic, very soothing.

But while he might be able to succeed at songs like “Endlessness”, “The Islander”, “The Crow, The Owl And The Dove”, there’s no way he has the lungs to crush the big monsters like “Planet Hell”, “The Poet And The Pendulum”, and “Ghost River”. It leads me to wonder if they’ll stop writing and performing songs like this going forward. The band is definitely moving toward a folkier style so it might not be a big jump for them, but Tuomas also stated before that he didn’t want anymore lineup changes... and this one is huge. Idk. I’m actually really interested in seeing what Nightwish do next at the same time as being depressed about his departure.
Not so much trying to knock Troy, as he is immensely talented, just that the situation is nowhere near as simple as “Troy can just sing those parts”. Because he can’t. They aren’t his range, they aren’t his timbre, it just won’t work.

I thought the most recent album had way too much Troy influence compared to the Marko input, but clearly that was only partially Tuomas playing with his new toy and partially Marko losing interest.

From a live perspective, the band has three choices here:

1. Never play the Marko-heavy songs again. I can guarantee that songs like The Islander and Ghost River are now retired.

2. Floor takes over all of Marko’s lead parts and Troy does harmonies when Floor has to sing lead in the duets. Maybe they hire a bassist who can sing some high backup harmonies to give Troy’s voice more push.

3. They try to replace Marko with a copycat.

Option 2 is my favorite option as I’m always interested in hearing Floor’s take on something. Option 3 is stupid and Option 1 is depressing.

Marko isn't a particularly original vocalist, but also nobody really sounds like him. I hope they will hire someone who can sing too, as long as he can handle Marko's vocals without butchering everything, I'll be (relatively) satisfied.

They should hire Hansi to play bass and sing on this tour till they figure it out :p

Gotcha Knick — didn’t take your post as a knock, just wanted to throw my thoughts out there.

3. They try to replace Marko with a copycat.
I would say this could work, but only if the guy they choose has the talent to be more than a copycat and really make something of himself.

Otherwise the second option is very intriguing. If the Decades tour proves anything, it’s that the band is willing to experiment with their older songs and take them in new directions. That could very likely be what happens here.

Bummer news.

I think it makes sense to try and replace him. They don’t have to get a copycat, but I am sure there is someone out there who can play bass and competently sing the parts.

It has been a rough time for the music industry but also seems to be a pretty reflective one as well. I’ve had conversations with a few friends who have said similar things as Marko. It’s one thing to be ripped off by streaming companies and the like while making a decent living playing gigs (or selling merch in the case of a band like Nightwish), but it’s another to be trying to find income in lieu of gigs and realize that there isn’t much out there. For weeks now I’ve had this worry that the real cost of the pandemic is going to be felt after we’ve gotten control of the virus and are able to return to “normalcy” and this sort of thing is exactly why. I think we’re going to see a lot of artists decide that either they don’t want to deal with the music industry anymore or that they’ve had to spend the year pursuing other avenues and can’t go back to music.

Wow, huge news. I might make fun of him as a vocalist but he was such a big part of Nightwish. Wow.

Easy - take Hansi in. Blind Guardian keep having longer and longer periods between albums, he has the vocal chops, he could play bass (though he probably hasn't for the past 30 years, but this is the band that keeps Emppu, whose last actual riff was on The Escapist 13 years ago...)

P.S.

I see that I was late in that
They should hire Hansi to play bass and sing on this tour till they figure it out :p

It sucks that Marco left, he is such an important part of the band. But he clearly needs help. Might have fallen off the wagon to?

Problem solved if they get someone like Vortex (former Dimmu borgir and Borknagar member). Just hope they won’t use backing tracks of Marko’s vocals or retire his parts/songs

I’ve listened to very little Nightwish, but my impression of Marko was a Finnish version of Simon Haestenus ( I can’t spell his name). He also plays bass, had a beard and a great tone. What if he were to potentially step in?

Back