Nightwish

MrKnickerbocker

clap hands
Considering there is a new album coming out, I figured these folks deserved their own thread (especially since all they have now is the "female fronted band" thread).

EDIT: Dead link.

Last edited:
It worked a little while ago, but now: No longer available due to a copyright claim by Nuclear Blast Records.

I like a few Nighwish songs, it was never my cup of tea actually due to all power metal symphonic fantasy bullshit. I also didn't like Tarja's singing (the texture of her voice and the way she pronounces words, not technicality).
However there are two things why I'm going to get this record - they seem to have taken a more prog-based route lately, and Floor Jansen...

This is best female metal vocalist in my humble opinion. She also has incredible stage presence.

I'm very excited to hear what they have to offer with Floor. If you ask me, the last album was a bit of a mess conceptually and musically. There are some great songs on it, but overall it feels like a bunch of character pieces. Hopefully the songs on this new release will be more self-contained.

@Zare I don't think the fantasy element has disappeared.

I for one exprienced and happen to like the Tarja era, and especially Oceanborn, Wishmaster, Century Child. But Once was also pretty OK as well. Ghost Love Score (and the track you mentioned, Dark Chest of Wonders) was amazing, especially live! The melodies and atmosphere in that era were outstanding.

The debut aside, the older albums had a strong Stratovarius influence. And I like Tarja's voice. When it comes to her operatic style, I think she does that type of Nightwish material a tiny bit better than Floor. And when it comes to singing in softer, more fragile parts, I also prefer Tarja.

Floor is more allround, and more powerful midrange. I prefer her as a singer in general, but in Nightwish I must admit that I prefer Tarja on the songs she did. She made a lot of impact, and it can clearly be heard that the songs were written for her. A perfect match.

IMO, it doesn't get much better than Ghost Love Score, but when we go back a bit further in time, there's this:
Check Stargazer and especially Gethsemane (proggy and haunting later on, and when you think it can't get much better, then that last solo enters. Superb build-up. :notworthy:). Passion and the Opera kicks ass as well. Try to be patient with the power metallish elements. Then you'll be rewarded when other instrumental midpieces arrive. Nightwish added a lot of their own.
However there are two things why I'm going to get this record - they seem to have taken a more prog-based route lately,
Not sure what you mean by that (perhaps that new dude with his fluty instrument?) but the songs are not more proggy in a sense that you can digest more out of recent songs than earlier work. Older Nightwish also had long, epic songs with lots of changes. And the ballads with Tarja are among the best in the whole metal genre.

This is a great song, starting out as ballad, with moving piano interludes full of tension, and then unexpectedlty it turns into something entirely else, when that last rhythm starts. Very bombastic and impressive, with striking vocal melodies.

Last edited:
@Zare

Not sure what you mean by that (perhaps that new dude with his fluty instrument?) but the songs are not more proggy in a sense that you can digest more of out of them than earlier. Older Nightwish also had long, epic songs with lots of changes. And the ballads with Tarja are among the best in the whole metal genre.

They're called pipes, Foro. :p

I would agree that they haven't gotten more proggy over the years, but they always have a little bit of it (especially in the longer songs like Ghost Love Score, Poet and the Pendulum, Song of Myself, etc.). The final track on the new album is supposedly over 20 minutes long, so I'm assuming it will be quite proggy.

I also think that older Nightwish had more room for lead guitar. To me, that adds another layer, another dimension.

I wasn't too taken by the new one on first listen, but liked it a lot more second time around. Hope they don't overdo those pipes on the album.

@Forostar thanks for recommendations. I know first 4 albums from beginning to the end. Oceanborn is my favourite too, Moondance / Sacrament Of Wilderness, and the bonus track Nightquest being my top tracks.

There I'd put Floor, to do Nightquest because song features good riffing that gets killed by Tarja's style of singing. Just IMHO...

Inhalt abgelehnt.

Dieses Video wurde entfernt, da es nicht unseren Allg. Geschäftsbedingungen entsprach.

Back