Nightwish

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by MrKnickerbocker, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

New hard rock project Floor Jansen & Jørn Viggo Lofstad (Pagans Mind):

2. Night Prowler

Night Prowler CriedWhenBazzaSued Staff Member

Wow, Tuomas let her do it?!

3. Wogmidget

Wogmidget I rather like the restless nights

Meh, it's ok

I think he kind of painted himself into that particular corner with his much-vaunted "Auri" thing

4. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Meh song, but Floor's vocals sound incredible. I hope she uses this much power and range in Nightwish's new music...

Also, I'm a sucker for blues runs. :yes:

5. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

I like the chorus. These two wanted to do this eleven years ago but had no time to record it. I guess a lot of music was already written years ago, so perhaps there was not that much time needed to finally make it happen.

6. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Cereal Litigator

It's pretty good. I can see it growing on me. Everything Floor touches turns to gold. Perhaps she should have a shot at 'The Apparition'.

7. MrKnickerbocker

If there’s one thing that could ruin Floor Jansen’s magic, it’s The Apparition.

8. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Because The Apparation > Floor Jansen.

9. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

10. Black Wizard

Please, do elaborate. I can't wait to read this one.

11. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Humour guys, humour.
    If a song can ruin (beat) a singer, then the song is stronger.

12. Black Wizard

I don't think I agree with this. A song can be so badly written and composed that even the best singer can't make it sound good. To put it bluntly, you can't polish a turd. Other songs are greater than the sum of their parts (see Slayer and Motorhead for examples).

13. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

That's not what was said. This was it:
    "ruin the singer's magic."

Bruce's magic survived as well.

14. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

15. Black Wizard

Album out on October 19th. I'm looking forward to it. :)

16. Night Prowler

Night Prowler CriedWhenBazzaSued Staff Member

17. Black Wizard

The latest after Iron Maiden, Megadave and Dream Theater to jump on the Latin American bandwagon. At leats their most recent live album was recorded in London though.

18. Black Wizard

New. :)

Forostar likes this.
  19. MrKnickerbocker

CONSOLIDATION PROJECT/MAKE MUSIC DISCUSSION GREAT AGAIN

It's really interesting to see someone unfamiliar with Nightwish listen to this album and like it! If you enjoy this, you'll no doubt love this band because this easily their weakest effort.

YES! I love this album. It's the beginning of peak Nightwish, IMO. Marco made this band level up real hard. Most of the tracks here are classics, with Dead to the World and Beauty of the Beast being two of my picks for best underrated gems in the entire discography.

[​IMG]

I honestly just don't understand how this can be someone's opinion of Nightwish. I mean, I guess IRYO, but jesus...Marco is the best part of these songs.
    Oh, Thank Dio! I do agree that Marco meshes better with Anette because her voice isn't as biting as Tarja's, the blend is certainly better due to Anette's bell-like Disney voice. He also makes a great lead vocalist on some of these tracks. DPP is also in my top Nightwish albums despite Anette being my least favorite NW singer and the bloated length (Cadence, Night, and Heart could have all been cut).

Same here. Endless Forms is at the top for me, I'm beyond excited for what they do next. My number two is Century Child and three would be Dark Passion Play. Once has some endless classics on it, but is wildly varied in quality.

20. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

Yeah, Marco is weird for me. Sometimes I think he’s awesome, sometimes I don’t like it. Depends on the song and the album.