Nightwish

Once again I was right : they stay with Nuclear Blast. :)

The new Marko/Tarja song is cool. I really dig the chorus. Nice verses and symphonic-esque riff. It has a certain Nightwish vibe.

Idk this isn't bad but it's also not very interesting.

Think this is one of those cases where the songwriter (Tuomas) and the singers (Marko, Tarja) need each other for the music to be good.

Like how Iced Earth is not the same without Barlow on vocals, and Barlow singing without Jon writing the music is entirely forgettable.

Idk this isn't bad but it's also not very interesting.

Think this is one of those cases where the songwriter (Tuomas) and the singers (Marko, Tarja) need each other for the music to be good.

Like how Iced Earth is not the same without Barlow on vocals, and Barlow singing without Jon writing the music is entirely forgettable.
Yeah, it's nice to hear them again but I'd kinda just wanna hear them working with Tuomas again. Of course Tarot did have its moments and Marko's first solo album was pretty strong, so y'know.

I'd rather hear Tarja guest on Marko's solo work than see her back in Nightwish. Marko's solo album is actually a really good listen and this new song is also solid. It's not Nightwish, but nor is it trying to be. Hell, I'd love to hear Marko do an entire acoustic album similar to The Islander.

That said, I want nothing more in this realm than Marko back in Nightwish. They are simply not the same without him, no matter how much I love Floor.

Oh, it would also be cool if Tuomas could write good songs again.

I'm in the minority (?) that really likes the last Nightwish album and frankly, Noise is probably the least interesting song (for me) on it.

That being said, I totally get why some see it the other way round.

But on a purely personal level, I love the album (the "Human"/Disc 1 side of it, anyway)!

Soon, beyond the fields you've come to know
You will join the silent flow
Follow me, I am the spark
At the end of everything...

Tip the reaper to ensure
The blade is sharp
As soon we'll go
Follow me into the dark

To the birth of everything...

Beautiful!!

I have no issues with what Tuomas has done on the last two albums in terms of his lyrical focus or general shift towards a more symphonic style. I do have issues with writing vocal melodies that sound like someone playing a scale on a flute rather than writing something powerful, hooky, and memorable for Floor Fucking Jansen.

I've said it before, but, it's a shame that he got the most versatile singer he's ever had to front Nightwish and, sure, he's making use of her versatility, but definitely not making use of her power.

I'm in the minority (?) that really likes the last Nightwish album and frankly, Noise is probably the least interesting song (for me) on it.

That being said, I totally get why some see it the other way round.

But on a purely personal level, I love the album (the "Human"/Disc 1 side of it, anyway)!

Soon, beyond the fields you've come to know
You will join the silent flow
Follow me, I am the spark
At the end of everything...

Tip the reaper to ensure
The blade is sharp
As soon we'll go
Follow me into the dark

To the birth of everything...

Beautiful!!
Yeah, I like the whole record; even if Disc 2 gets a little long winded, I appreciate the effort and there's some great music in there. It definitely feels like the band's most calculated album, given its more conceptual nature, but I think that all the songs hold up regardless. It misses some of the more explosive moments on previous albums but trades it for consistency.

Are we in the minority? Among the greater metal community, sure, but within the Nightwish fandom this album is almost infuriatingly overhyped lol.

and with an allegedly heavier direction.
That's good to hear, especially after the latest album. It would be great if they brought back their sound from the first few albums, it will be perfect for Floor, but I guess they'll largely continue with the sound from the previous album. Marko was a big part of their sound. Nightwish are a special band with interesting music, always.

Yeah, the heavier direction sounds nice, but personally I would accept a thousand Harvests, music-wise, if he stopped solemnly preaching all the time and the lyrics and overall attitude were less cringe, less harrowing, less ghastly than on the last two albums.

(holding my fingers crossed, though I know there's next to zero chance for me)

Last edited:
if he stopped solemnly preaching all the time
Well what you take for preaching I take for celebrating (with the exceptions of “Tribal” and “Noise” which are definitely preachy). It is interesting to think of Human. :||: Nature. as a worship album, though. There are certainly some parallels there.

New interview with Marco Hietala. :)

"Hmm, I would consider it. But I think that the organization there would have to be looked very carefully into it and some of it would have to be dismantled. Because the business side and how the people there work, they are one of the big reasons why I left."

"In all the bands that I've been [in], I found out that I'm probably the most kind of courageous person there is and therefore also I have the inner strength to be the most honest and most fair and the one who upholds the justice between the people and taking care of everyone most. And that is something that I saw, the last years, were lacking. So, these kind of things would have to be taken care of. But I mean, [NIGHTWISH] was a big part of my life and I always, always backed up the music that we did because I love to do music that is versatile and ambitious with a lot of all kinds of atmospheres of all the world, from sensitive and soft into the big and pounding metal and all that. So, musically, I have no regrets at all. I'm happy and proud to have been a part of it. But, yeah, the organizational situation and the attitudes and who talks to whom and about what, those are things that I would totally dismantle and make into a transparent situation."

Back