Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

If you wanna talk poor business decisions, I think the singular bad choice Maiden did on that front is ignoring the importance of video in the age of YouTube. Casual viewers aren't going to be enticed by or even care about audio only features on their casual browsing journeys - they want video to go with whatever they're listening to. TBOS:LC has video, so whenever you search for idk, "Blood Brothers live", that version will be in the top three results, guaranteed.

Considering they've got screen feeds for every show anyway, it's a genuine mystery to me why they didn't just upload video versions of the new live album on their channel when they were at it, if only to entice that casual viewing audience who wants to see Aces High played live and don't particularly care which version it is. The visual splendor and spectacle of the LotB tour would just be icing on the cake for them, and a complete no-brainer of an advantage to use in the ever competitive field of viewer attention that is YouTube.

In that sense, there's an argument to be made here that this release was specifically targeted at the fans rather than the casual public, since it's audio only and offered on multiple formats, which would also validate much of the criticism levied against the band for their production choices, but that's another matter.

what if they release video from different venues in the end of the tour, theyve already released aces high, run to the hills and flight of Icarus from lotb like that

I think they still plan on another leg of the LOTB Tour, whenever that may be. Those fans have not yet seen the show (at least via an officially released video) from Iron Maiden/Sanctuary Management's perspective. They want to "tease" some highlights (the aforementioned songs that have been officially released), but not spoil the whole show for fans who have yet to see it. They are controlling what they can control by not releasing a full video of a tour that, at least in their plans, is still going on. Which is why there has not been an official release of a video from the tour, whether as part of the Nights of the Dead release or otherwise.

If you wanna talk poor business decisions, I think the singular bad choice Maiden did on that front is ignoring the importance of video in the age of YouTube. Casual viewers aren't going to be enticed by or even care about audio only features on their casual browsing journeys - they want video to go with whatever they're listening to. TBOS:LC has video, so whenever you search for idk, "Blood Brothers live", that version will be in the top three results, guaranteed.

I disagree. The returns of producing a live video just to post it on YouTube aren't worth the investment. Maiden are probably not making much or any profit at all from NOTD in the first place. They know only diehards will actually pay money for it and buy any of the physical releases, while everyone else will be streaming it on Spotify or other services. So what's the point of paying money to produce a live video? Nobody will pay for it, it won't boost sales for things people won't buy anymore, and it's not a necessary ad for live gigs - their shows are always sold out and bigger than ever before.

I think they still plan on another leg of the LOTB Tour, whenever that may be. Those fans have not yet seen the show (at least via an officially released video) from Iron Maiden/Sanctuary Management's perspective. They want to "tease" some highlights (the aforementioned songs that have been officially released), but not spoil the whole show for fans who have yet to see it. They are controlling what they can control by not releasing a full video of a tour that, at least in their plans, is still going on. Which is why there has not been an official release of a video from the tour, whether as part of the Nights of the Dead release or otherwise.

I don't see how Maiden are concerned with "spoiling" the show for anyone. The NOTD booklet is full of pictures, sketches and details about the stage show, there are plenty of photos and video snippets on their Facebook page... nah. People who wouldn't want their gig "spoiled" by a live video just wouldn't watch the live video.

I disagree. The returns of producing a live video just to post it on YouTube aren't worth the investment. Maiden are probably not making much or any profit at all from NOTD in the first place.
They did put three LoTB tour videos up, that was post processed (both the video and the audio mix), as tour promotion for the then upcoming 2020 shows. Who knows if they even mixed the entire show. They were really, really good, and no Steve Harris half a second cuts either.

I think people need to get over the fact that there's no official video. It's a dead format, like singles before them. I'd rather they were still around but a whole generation has grown up renting access to content, or pirating it. We're lucky we're still getting CDs and LPs to be very honest.

It’s a dead format the way Maiden uses it. It seems more common for bands to just put up live streams of concerts that were usually recorded by the festival promoter. For bands that do release live videos, it’s almost like a bonus disc on a live album. It’s not the value that it used to be before everything was on YouTube.

In a certain way, from a business perspective, for a band like Maiden with their back catalogue, even the studio album is a dead format.

I don't see how Maiden are concerned with "spoiling" the show for anyone. The NOTD booklet is full of pictures, sketches and details about the stage show, there are plenty of photos and video snippets on their Facebook page... nah. People who wouldn't want their gig "spoiled" by a live video just wouldn't watch the live video.

Agree. Plus, there is the whole RIR 2019 show spoiling everything.

The only time (if I'm not mistaken) when Maiden released a official live video when before that they streamed a show from a tour is TBOS: Live Chapter (Wacken 2016).... so there is a hope this time too.

Official concert videos a dead format? Those pop up all the time.

True. Every band releases live videos on YouTube or DVD's (only Maiden stopped releasing DVDs, methinks). And some bands prefer to release live streamed concerts, but the sound and editing cannot be compared with official live videos or DVDs!

I think live concert videos are still going strong in the metal genre.... and that will not change in the near future IMO.

In a certain way, from a business perspective, for a band like Maiden with their back catalogue, even the studio album is a dead format.
tenor.gif

I cannot get over the fact that Force Ghost Obi Wan has a different haircut in ROTJ than in the other two films.

You'd think he had more important things to do. Like figuring out how to retcon his dialogue from ANH to fit with Lucas' brainfarts.

You'd think he had more important things to do. Like figuring out how to retcon his dialogue from ANH to fit with Lucas' brainfarts.
If Lucas still owned the rights to the Trilogy it's likely he'd just wait for Ewan MacGregor to get a little older then digitally replace Alec Guinness the whole way.

Shhh, we like George Lucas now and everything he did was golden. Because of that evil corporate feminist woke mouse.

Finally getting to listen to this, not sure where all the outrage came from sounds fine to me. Performances are good. I take on board peoples point about the crowd noise being weird, sounds to me like there was some issue with the recording of the crowd. Looks like someone paid attention to @GhostofCain as Rod no longer has a thanks list :lol:

Back