Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

Finally getting to listen to this, not sure where all the outrage came from sounds fine to me. Performances are good. I take on board peoples point about the crowd noise being weird, sounds to me like there was some issue with the recording of the crowd. Looks like someone paid attention to @GhostofCain as Rod no longer has a thanks list :lol:
Rod didn't have a thank you list on Live Chapter either.

Does Bruce still have Merlin the parrot and Sufi the cat?

He thanks his family and their loved ones, "furry or feathered", absent or present. So yeah they get a mention. I take the absent or present part to be a mention of his deceased ex wife.

He thanks his family and their loved ones, "furry or feathered", absent or present. So yeah they get a mention. I take the absent or present part to be a mention of his deceased ex wife.

That is my take on the absent or present part too.

There's also a bit in the notes on the stage/set design that mentions them not doing the sample out of Where Eagles Dare "broadsword calling Danny Boy" because it would have been too hard to get permission.

The definitely DID have that sample at the gigs I was at, the naughty boys. :lol:

There's also a bit in the notes on the stage/set design that mentions them not doing the sample out of Where Eagles Dare "broadsword calling Danny Boy" because it would have been too hard to get permission.

The definitely DID have that sample at the gigs I was at, the naughty boys. :lol:

They DID have the original "Broadsword Calling Danny Boy" bit from the film back in 2005, but I think the sample they had in 2018-2019 was a different line ("Broadsword Calling Danny Boy" was not mentioned, although "Operation Where Eagles Dare" was; not sure if it was from the film though).

I guess the change was as a result of not being able to get permission from Clint Eastwood (the latter is what Rod's notes suggest). That is also quite possibly the reason why the intro has not been included on the album, as they probably would not want to get sued for copyright infringement (once bitten twice shy!).

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I meant, a quote from the movie was not on the album, but was at the gigs.

I see that couple independent record stores have listed the limited coloured vinyl-edition to be available on december 18th.
I wish that I would have known this earlier, so could avoided the problems with the official store.

I reckon they never intended to have any stock for independant stores, and after the debacle with the online store they've shut it down early and sent the remaining stock to independent stores.

What somebody else here said.: this should pump me up for the upcoming tour and/or remind me of the show that I've witnessed - does neither.

Heard it on home sounds system, in car and even on monitor speakers. The result is the same: not clean for a studio recording, not "enthusiastic" for a live recording.

If I wanted to persuade somebody to go to a gig with me, I'd rather remind him of "Rock in Rio" or show him some unofficial playlist on Google Music/Deezer/Spotify.

I've actually been kind of slow at getting to all of the songs on the album and I just listened to Revelations. About 42 seconds in, I can't say I've ever a crowd sound anything like that! It's like this strange muffled sound.
Maiden manager Rod Smallwood adds: I think Steve, along with co-producer Tony Newton, has perfectly captured the essence of the 70,000-strong crowd across these three nights in Mexico City.
Hmmmmm. :lol:

Heard it on home sounds system, in car and even on monitor speakers. The result is the same: not clean for a studio recording, not "enthusiastic" for a live recording.

If I wanted to persuade somebody to go to a gig with me, I'd rather remind him of "Rock in Rio" or show him some unofficial playlist on Google Music/Deezer/Spotify.
I was kinda excited about listening to this, but took a long time to get around to it.
Just now I put the album on in spotify. 1 and a half songs later I canned it and put on the Donnington live album instead, much better.

You know what's interesting? Maiden have said the reason they record their studio albums the way they do is because they want them to have a "live" sound. If that's the case, wouldn't their actual live releases have the same type of sound and production as studio?

What's Bruce going on about in Trooper? "what are you doing wearing my yellow [I can't make this out] jacket?"

I've actually been kind of slow at getting to all of the songs on the album and I just listened to Revelations. About 42 seconds in, I can't say I've ever a crowd sound anything like that! It's like this strange muffled sound.

Hmmmmm. :lol:

What were you expecting Rod to say? "We recorded the shows, as we do every night, but did not plan to release them until we found ourselves not able to tour in 2020. Therefore, Steve and Tony did a cut and paste job of some background audience noise but it still sounds blooooody grrreat!"?

:lol:

I was kinda excited about listening to this, but took a long time to get around to it.
Just now I put the album on in spotify. 1 and a half songs later I canned it and put on the Donnington live album instead, much better.
I've had another try at listening to this album.
On Spotify it started off with "For the greater good of god" which I think Bruce sounds very bad on.
On youtube I put the album on, start to finish in proper order and it starts off much better.

Back