Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

No, I'm not trying to make any such argument. I'm just ridiculing the sense of entitlement from people.
And that I can understand. However I still think that people are not wrong regarding this album. And usually my approach to new Maiden albums is similar to Nickos: 'OMG THIS IS BEST ALBUM EVER!!!1'

Guys, maybe you can correct the errors and then repost:

Dear, Joe Lazarus, I‘m nobody to you, but I am a fan of Iron Maiden, and I wanted to tell you about this ongoing battle between Maiden fans. Since the reunion, there is ongoing arguing about how band‘s albums are produced. Most of us are satisfied with how Brave New World album sounds, and most of us don‘t like how Dance Of Death album was not mastered (Steve liked how it sounded beforehand) etc.

I can speak only for myself, but nonetheless, there is a strong opinion that Steve Harris is not a good producer. Starting with The X Factor, which is great album musically, but production desires to be better. I don‘t want to insult You, or the Great bass player and songwriter Steve Harris, whom fan I am, but the truth must be spoken.

Maiden has just released Nights of the Dead, live album, and again many fans are not happy with how it is produced. Guitars are buried in the mix, drums and vocals are too loud. I fully understand that Maiden is Steve‘s band and he is the Boss, but for the sake of greater good (better sounding albums) changes must be done.

Example, Judas Priest‘s „Firepower“, which has two producers at the helm, sounds miles better than Redeemer of Souls which was produced by Glen Tipton. Another example, fans were not happy how Metallica‘s album Death Magnetic was overcompressed and clipping. Metallica did take notes, and next album Hardwired.. to Self destruct sounds much better.

As for Iron Maiden, please abandon „live in the studio“ album recording style. Enough of „let‘s capture how we sound on stage“ attitude. I don‘t like muddy and raw sounding guitars. 80‘s albums were polished and sound great. They were perfected in many takes by playing of each individual instrument.

If you‘re in such position, please tell to your Uncle, that fans are begging for changes in production department. Once again, I fully understand that Steve loves being involved in many aspects of his band, but with all due respect, the production department is clearly not one of his strengths.

Not intended to insult but for the sake of greater good.

(This letter could be much longer and detailed, my english is not suited for that :D)

Do not do this. You will come off as a creep who stalks the relatives of people who they are supposedly a fan of and they will trace it back to this forum and that will make us all look like psychos. Leave the people alone and don't buy their products if you don't like them.

I am finally listening to the live album (with headphones) and find the production to be much better than what online comments will lead you to believe. It is not as good as the live albums produced by Kevin Shirley, but infinitely better than what we had to endure in the 90s!

I personally think the worst aspects are the fake live audience sound and Adrian's opening riffs for 2 Minutes to Midnight and The Wicker Man being low in the mix.

Steve's backing vocals on Run to the Hills are hilarious! :lol:

I'll buy this album, it's not about that. I just don't feel enough energy in the Maiden live recordings of the current era. For the greater good sounds excellent tho.

About that Joe Lazarus email, be sure to send it from cringe_lord@gmail.com so that he gets the full picture.

Impressions of the album are that it's alright. I have been looking forward to its release but one thing I noticed immediately was that the crowd sounds awful. And that's one thing that really stands out on live Maiden albums usually so that was a downer straight away. It almost sounds fake and I'm not sure why it's so muffled.

The production overall was, I think, better than TBOS, especially the drums but as stated before, it overall sounded flat. I really do think that Somewhere Back In Time and En Vivo were perfectly mixed and it's a shame that albums since then have lacked a lot. It is always great to have new maiden content, but I used to listen to new content for weeks on end. Can't see that happening with this one unfortunately.

Some people are thinking way too much into this album honestly. It's not hard to just go "huh, this doesn't sound very good", and move on. It's honestly not that deep, it's not like we haven't known Steve can't produce for shit for the past 20 odd years now.

27 more like!

1606139496543.png

1606139469026.png

I still remember how underwhelmed I felt when I bought those two albums back in 1993. After having saved my pocket money for some time to be able to afford the CDs (significantly more expensive back then than nowadays), the excitement of a new release shortly turned into disappointment. The quality was abysmal.

Yes, it was a dissapointment, …and the covers…and you have to add that Bruce was leaving at that time so… a bad year. Anyway, I prefer the crowd of these 2 albums. If it was Tokyo Tapes crowd Steve did it better than the last one :lol:

Last edited:
A Real Live one and Fear of the Dark live…ok acceptable, but I disagree with A real dead one and Hallowed be thy name live…horrible Eddies. I think Derek was burned and tired of draw Eddies. The fact that the Fear of the Dark draft was rejected it was because a poor Eddie and concept cover idea with the bed there…damn

Got an email from Maiden saying that a number of orders were not posted on time and have been posted now and as a result they have refunded me the postage.

Fair play to them, I hadn't even contacted them to complain, and to be honest, I probably wouldn't even have blamed them if the package arrived this week, which looks likely now, as I would have thought the delay was due to international postage and/or due to covid causing delays.

That's way out, you're taking it to the extremes. Obviously the guitar sound is the problem and including Smith in the process would help.
No, I stand by what I said. The sole reason Maiden’s production is sometimes questionable is the same reason they’ve endured as long as they have: Steve. My point being I’ll take the good with the bad. Does this mean that the production couldn’t be better and Maiden still be who they are? Of course not. Anything is possible. But this is the reality we’re in, so I prefer to look at things as they are, not as they could be.

No, I stand by what I said. The sole reason Maiden’s production is sometimes questionable is the same reason they’ve endured as long as they have: Steve. My point being I’ll take the good with the bad. Does this mean that the production couldn’t be better and Maiden still be who they are? Of course not. Anything is possible. But this is the reality we’re in, so I prefer to look at things as they are, not as they could be.
You know what? Seeing it this way does make it easier to accept sub-standard releases, sound wise. My initial reaction was outrage, but I'm settling in since a day back or so and can now enjoy the album in a way I couldn't the first listen. Again, less headache-inducing compression on the vinyl helps. but that's besides the point really. Once you get past the obstacle to the enjoyment that is the production, it's a fun listen. And a sub-quality release is a lot better than no release at all. Live albums (and bootlegs) are about capturing a moment in time, and I'm glad they did release something. The performance deficiencies express the honesty of the performance as well (like the short out of time bits on 2 Minutes and the intro of Hallowed) - Live performances are seldom perfect and that's part of the fun. The intro vocals on Hallowed justifies the purchase alone. Best ever.

Giving the CDs a proper listen as I type this. First impression: I think it sounds pretty damn good, not their best sounding live album but definitely not their worst. I see what folks mean about the audience - sounds really fake. And yeah, Bruce is not at his best here - I wish they took the best of the 2018 shows. But I still think he does pretty damn great for a 60+ year old throat/mouth cancer survivor. I think the performances are really, really good. I agree with what everyone is saying about Nicko's performance. He fucking crushes this one.

I'm starting to think that Maiden's plan was to record some of the (stadium) shows from the cancelled 2020 leg for a video release from the LOTB tour - I still hope they'll release it next year (along with the second tour poster for the 2021 leg).... with the incredible stage set is mandatory.

27 more like!

View attachment 13194

View attachment 13193

I still remember how underwhelmed I felt when I bought those two albums back in 1993. After having saved my pocket money for some time to be able to afford the CDs (significantly more expensive back then than nowadays), the excitement of a new release shortly turned into disappointment. The quality was abysmal.
You had to need more love for the studio content to like it. The version of ATSS (one of my fav songs when it came out the year before) is the seminal one. Bloody brilliant. The music on the whole disc sounds powerful, raw and still very audible. Not different from when you saw them live, probably even better.

The official shop hasn't still sent my preordered limited coloured vinyl..
I preordered it as soon as it went alive and was available, now it's just hanging and says unfulfilled.
I've sent email and feedback but no-one has answered to me, so this seems like good customer service.

Hey @PhantomOfTheOpera have you received your order yet?

Mine is still saying unfulfilled, even though an email had been sent saying all were shipped last monday. I found this address on Maiden's twitter, social@ironmaiden.com , and sent off an email to them. They responded after about 20 mins saying they've been told that all have been shipped, but that "Clearly that is not reflected in the many emails and order statuses that you have or haven’t received, but at this stage we need to wait until Monday to find out if that is the case. In the meantime, we would be extremely grateful if any of you could fill out the form (link below) so that we can present them with the truth/realities first thing on Monday!"

Back