Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

I wouldn't count TBOS LC as a video release, it's on youtube alright and you could buy it from itunes (not anymore I think??), however, if Maiden ever take it down from youtube it's gone.

If you want a vhs copy of the 40 year old live at the rainbow, you can get one on ebay no problem, but you're completely at the mercy of Maiden if you want to see TBOS LC. If they ever decide they want it gone, like they did with the original videos for the singles of FOTD Live and HBTN Live, then it will be gone.

What @Midnight said. I'm sure it already exists on countless hard drives. Ripping YouTube videos is not a problem in our day and age if you know how to do it. If Maiden ever choose to take it down on their YouTube channel, it will appear in numerous corners on the web.

In 2010 there was a YT video of Ronaldinho set to Kryptonite by 3 doors down. The video montage is phenomenal. The video had millions of views. It was taken down at some point. The only place you can find that video today is just one not really active video site, that used to copy / transcode YT videos onto itself back in those days. I found the site when YT video went down, in 2012, and downloaded FLV video off it. The quality on that site, of course, is crap even compared to YT 2010.

I just did a search and that site is still the only one hosting a degraded copy.

After it goes down, the only thing that will remain is the authors original (if he still has it) and degraded copies in 'private' hands around the world. Following on that, why should I upload that degraded copy somewhere, I will get copyright strike?

So yes, if Maiden decides to pull back YT content (which I don't believe they'll do, 'cause they're Iron Maiden, but the question in general is valid) - you'll have no way of ever watching the content in question in its nominal quality online. Either degraded copy will be put to stream, and then risk being pulled down due to legality, or you'll have to trade files with someone that downloaded that video.

Edit : younger people that have lived their whole lives in Internet age must realize it's all just a bunch of hardware hooked to wires and someone is paying the electric bill. As much as it seems omnipresent it really isn't. Keep the stuff that's important to you offline, hard drive space is cheap.

You could download the YouTube videos and burn them to a disc.

I actually did that with the complete show when they had that on youtube as I bought the itunes version but I couldn't put it on an external drive to watch on my big TV because of the copyright protection, but I was thinking more of a new fan going forward, there might be a time in the future where that footage is not available for them.

The itunes LP version of The Final Frontier is gone now as well, and the Onkyo Hi-Def versions of the 2015 remasters are gone.

I know you can get the Hi-Def versions on other sites, but I'm sceptical of the legitimacy of them. HD Tracks is selling a fake version of Somewhere Back in Time on there. It's not a Hi-Def remaster of Somewhere Back in Time, it's the individual tracks compiled from their original albums and copied and pasted into a playlist, you can tell as the crowd noise on the live tracks doesn't fade out. If they are lying about that, how can you trust any of their files as being legitimate?

Wasn’t the Death on the Road live video delayed over the audio release because it took them forever to get it mixed in 5.1 and Stereo? Hence them doing it on separate discs?
Possibly. My memory is not as good as it used to be. I do remember though that the discs sold in the US (and perhaps other places) had to be re-released as there was a manufacturing defect on the discs that were causing them to stop and/or skip. So I had to buy a 2nd one after they fixed it

I wouldn't count TBOS LC as a video release
It's still an official online live video release. And I don't think it's going anywhere and I'm sure it's been downloaded and can be found elsewhere.
The two live albums (A Real Live One/A Real Dead One) were released before the concert video (Live At Donington '92) - all released in 1993 (March-November).

Also, Death On The Road live album was released in 2005 - the DVD was released in 2006.

I agree. Every live album from Maiden is accompanied with a video concert from the specific tour....

- Beast Over Hammersmith was full live album but half of the concert video though... (it was released 20 years after its recording).
Now I think we have a very great chance of some sort of video release. Let's hope Maiden feel it's worthy of a physical release.

Wasn’t the Death on the Road live video delayed over the audio release because it took them forever to get it mixed in 5.1 and Stereo? Hence them doing it on separate discs?
Correct. It didn’t even come out in America until early 2007 due to production error on the original European version that had to be corrected. Issues with 5:1 mode I think it was

The issues that forced the delay of the Death on the Road DVD were due to the copy protection that had been added to the discs. That made them unplayable with most equipment...

A rather embarrassing cock-up that was brushed under the carpet by the Maiden team.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but some copies of the DVD still had issues with the 5.1 track, specifically something to do with the LFE channel not playing correctly, resulting in muted bass and bass drum on some copies. I'm glad we don't have to worry about those issues anymore since not only are there no 5.1 mixes of new Maiden live material anymore, this time there won't even be a video of any kind.

I still have the faulty copy and rewatched it recently. The image starts to skip during BNW on the stereo disc. It was really weird.

I remember Dave Pattenden (who compiled the DVD) released a press statement basically complaining that all the fans were moaning about the product. I found this amusing considering it was originally supposed to be released when the CD was released in August 2005 but they delayed it to improve the quality! Oh the irony...

I still have the faulty copy and rewatched it recently. The image starts to skip during BNW on the stereo disc. It was really weird.

I remember Dave Pattenden (who compiled the DVD) released a press statement basically complaining that all the fans were moaning about the product.
I thought it was pretty "matter of fact-ly".

You’re right. It was less moany than I remember!

As far as I can remember, the DVD was recalled and later re-released without the problems in 2007 with no mention about this on the band’s website.

I think the problem was dvds weren't big enough for the quality they were trying to squeeze on. Either way the quick editing is the real issue

I don't quite understand why some people had a problem with the drums on Aces High - they sound exactly like they did on Live After Death.
Actually, the production as a whole sounds like LAD, but with more lower frequencies and worse guitar tones.

Nights Of The Dead live album cover was done by Akirant Illustration (they've also done all of the LOTB tour posters).

I don't quite understand why some people had a problem with the drums on Aces High - they sound exactly like they did on Live After Death.
Actually, the production as a whole sounds like LAD, but with more lower frequencies and worse guitar tones.

You've answered your own question.

The drum sound on LAD is called "cardboard drums". Caused by the recording technology and crappy practices of the day. Noone wanted that sort of a drum sound, but they couldn't do better.

LAD is judged in the context of its time. Drums don't sound good but the playing is excellent and since that "not good" is the standard of the day, it gets a free pass. However it's 2020 and we have 30+ years of sound development.

What LAD does great, is the guitar sound that complements the drum sound. Guitars are thin too, but razor sharp, energetic, and full of clarity. It makes the whole recording very 'airy' which is not an usual feat of a live metal album (wall of sound ftw amirite). This is achievable cause one of the best bassists to ever grace the rock genre glues the drum and guitars together. All ads up to unique character of LAD and why it's considered as greatest of all time type album.

LAD drums weren't wanted, but they got them and needed to work around it - hence the other production choices.

None of this is present on the current live release, Harris's bass plays a different role in the last 20 years due to the 3 guitar setup, it's quite impossible to create a perfect clarity of 4 heavily distorted electric string instruments in a stereo space.

Back