Nicko McBrain

Really ? I thought it was from recently.
He started doing these back in the late '80s and has done them sporadically since then - in 2011 or 2012, he did a whole "evening with Nicko McBrain" tour in Europe.

The one from this year was a one-off event at the London Drum Show last weekend.

He started doing these back in the late '80s and has done them sporadically since then - in 2011 or 2012, he did a whole "evening with Nicko McBrain" tour in Europe.

The one from this year was a one-off event at the London Drum Show last weekend.

Apparently, this time there were no racist slurs or homophobic remarks. He is, thankfully, getting wiser.

It is great that the band members do so many public appearances, with the Internet nowadays, is more easy, of course. :)

Agreed, and I think if it was two people working on it together initially they put whoever wrote the music first then who wrote the lyrics

I also think the same, but here's another example: BQOBD, FITK and WL are credited Dickinson/Gers and TA, WW are credited Harris/Gers - I don't think that Janick has ever written lyrics for a song - they should be the other way round. Fuck, that always confuses me... :confused:

I dunno, maybe Steve has messed up or Bruce.
Or the translation. It was published in a Greek magazine so I'm guessing it's been translated from English into Greek and then back into English. All sorts of things could happen to the sense during those transactions. (Just a thought :).)

Or the translation. It was published in a Greek magazine so I'm guessing it's been translated from English into Greek and then back into English. All sorts of things could happen to the sense during those transactions. (Just a thought :).)

True.

Although we know that Steve has taken credit from other people's lyrics in the past, I think the lyrics on The Pilgrim are by him.

It was translated by an old "classic" member called @gor who liked to research things. I trust he did well and his English sounded good enough to trust him on such matters.
And how difficult is it to translate a name?

So I rather not follow that path so easily Black Abbyss Babe and Ghost of Cain.

Naturally he can have made a mistake but so might Steve. Gor might still be active on the official forum so we can ask him about this.

Steve did not sound that clear and concentrated in that fragment.

Last edited:
It was translated by an old "classic" member called @gor who liked to research things. I trust he did well and his English sounded good enough to trust him on such matters.

Naturally he can have made a mistake but so might Steve. Gor might still be active on the official forum so we can ask him about this.

Gor is a great Maiden legend in such matters.

Here's a tale which shows a measure of his character as a man. When TFF came out there was an edition only made for Greece, which had the inlay card for the album published in magazine format with the cd as a freebie on the front, I think this was due to Greece having high taxes on CD's so they were trying to "disguise" the CD as a magazine. I pm'ed Gor on the official Maiden board and asked him if there was any chance if I sent him the money could he buy the item for me and post it to Ireland. He replied back saying he was getting married that afternoon so he rushed down to the shop that morning to make sure he could get everything sorted so that he could post me the item before he went off on his honeymoon!

Let's hope he had not used someone else's lyrics! :lol:

@gor is indeed a legend amongst mortal men. I am sure his translation is accurate, but I was not referring to his translation but to that of the journalist from English to Greek. :)

Anyway, Bruce might have made a mistake to begin with or perhaps Jan did indeed write the lyrics instead of Steve. One question to ask Jan if I ever bump into him. :lol:

The thing that would have me sceptical about Janick writing lyrics, is that for Dance of Death the song he came up with the concept based around a scene from the movie the Seventh Seal, yet he did not have a go at writing the lyrics himself

@gor is indeed a legend amongst mortal men. I am sure his translation is accurate, but I was not referring to his translation but to that of the journalist from English to Greek. :)
The name is not the issue but the other things that were said in connection with the name ... The thing is, unless the two languages involved have identical syntax and grammar rules and directly interchangeable words, any translation is going to involve a certain amount of interpretation by the translator. I know that Greek sometimes has several different words which are represented by a single English word (which is understandable since it's a much older language), so if Bruce used an English word that had several potential Greek equivalents then the Greek translator would have to use their judgement as to which Greek word Bruce meant. And whatever he/she decided on would be what @gor had to work with. I wasn't suggesting that either gor or the other person "got it wrong", just that something could have been lost or confused during this process. As I said, just a thought - I wasn't trying to postulate any hard-and-fast theory.

Also I'm not saying I definitely believe Janick did not write the lyrics to "The Pilgrim" (although to me it sounds like Steve's thinking) I would just be curious to know why, if he did write them, he apparently hasn't written any lyrics since. Because, quite frankly, "The Pilgrim" is great!

Back