Nicko McBrain

Which we do, and rightfully so. However, I am willing to agree with Welsh Phantom and assume, until proven otherwise, that based on this background, Nicko's motivations are different from today's racists.

Quite probably, but that does not make his jokes more acceptable. ;)

Welsh and Ghost, you give lots of food for another reply going deeper into this. But since you two do not want to discuss further (it's not that nice to hear a different view is it?) (and like to have the last reply as well), I could respect that. Still you are getting very personal and even ask me some questions. Suits you well.

There is no need to throw your toys out of the pram and take things personally. We were discussing Nicko and Steve's racist comments, went off-topic and ended up discussing something completely different. You having a different view has nothing to do with trying to get back on topic!

Anyway, your strong opinion on this is unlikely to change no matter how much time we spend going round in circles. In my humble opinion, your comments are based on a widespread view in continental Europe about Brexit that does not necessarily correspond to what many people who voted to leave the EU think, as one can easily realise discussing the issue with many of them. At the end of the day, I hope that a deal that works for both parties is reached and we can remain friends.

I wouldn't call that racism. You can't call people who joke with racism (sensible or not, insulting others or not) racist.

I wouldn't call that racism. You can't call people who joke with racism (sensible or not, insulting others or not) racist.

Some of the comments that were reported on the official fan club forum back in the day were pretty shocking. One of the jokes that I remember apparently referred to a black person in the UK wanting to buy some port and asking for directions, with Nicko saying that he could go to Southampton's port and then home. That is blatant racism, not a joke with racism. :mad:

I don't agree. Maybe these jokes are alien to your societies but not where I come from.

Quite probably, but that does not make his jokes more acceptable. ;)

Apart from anything else. the "southampton port" "joke" showed a spectacular lack of self awareness from nicko, given he lives in Florida. Americans probably might have had good cause to tell him to go back to England after that time he knocked someone down with his jaguar.

We seem to use a lot of incorrect jokes here. The motive depends on the antagonist of the joke not the protagonist. I need to see the "joke" to tell. But that's not important. Nicko - as much as we all like his usual persona - is a man of a proven bad temper and someone who obviously had multitude of reasons to ask for redemption.

What are we counting as political correctness? Not using your democratic right to mock somebody right in their face, or a strange system of quotas where people are represented by their race/sex/whatever instead of merit?

So, here an abstract. I took the time to read the whole interview again. It's incredible how offensive and provocative they are towards the two guys. Just notice how they translate Harry's accent ("wiv" "somethink": unbearable despise towards his social origins). The matters we have discussed (but I didn't realize that noone had actually read the thing) are in the two central columns.
Edit : NME may 8th 1982. A guy wearing an Eddie mask on the cover.

1516219337-numerisation0200.jpg
Ye gads, journalist straight out of Spinal Tap there ...

But I honestly don't think Steve has said anything shocking here. He's young, inexperienced, the interviewer is deliberately trying to wind him up, he hasn't yet learned eloquence and he's dug himself into a hole. Of course his views on what is "possible" (among other things) will have changed with increasing experience of life (and having been around the world several times ...)

Is there any way we can read the whole of this, without damaging @harrisdevot's magazine? Even if it's in tiny sections and bits of it are upside down or sideways?

Ye gads, journalist straight out of Spinal Tap there ...

But I honestly don't think Steve has said anything shocking here. He's young, inexperienced, the interviewer is deliberately trying to wind him up, he hasn't yet learned eloquence and he's dug himself into a hole. Of course his views on what is "possible" (among other things) will have changed with increasing experience of life (and having been around the world several times ...)

Is there any way we can read the whole of this, without damaging @harrisdevot's magazine? Even if it's in tiny sections and bits of it are upside down or sideways?
I will scan the whole thing, in bits and pieces but with coherent numerotation so that you can understand it. Just give me a couple of days.

Back