New single: Stratego

Something I've noticed on repeating listens, Nicko's playing it really straightforward and not going as heavy on throwing a lot of tom fills in. Really helps the song.

Yeah! I mean - i liked their songs before but all clicked when I heard No Prayer for the first time. I loved his tone and energy. He moved Maiden from 'great band' to 'the band that I must see live' in my head. Funny thing is that every time I watch Maiden show with first-timers they always remember Bruce and Janick.

After two listens I’m really, really liking it. Some thoughts:
  • The pre-chorus and chorus were awesome. Loved the keys
  • It gallops!
  • The solo was good, I like what Janick was doing even though it was pretty typical for him.
  • The breakdown after the solo was a real treat.
I already like it and I think it’ll grow even more. TWOTW is still my favorite so far, though.

Initial thoughts after 4 listens:
  • Overall quite good. I love the intro riff and the post-solo section: Steve does something cool on bass finally! Very Eastern and welcomed sounds.
  • Bruce is too low in the mix.
  • FUCKING GUITAR PLAYING THE FUCKING VOCAL MELODY JUST STOP IT JANICK JUST STOP IT!
  • Great chorus, though. Thank Dio they included a vocal harmony! Shades of Brave New World-style recordings there.
  • This song reminds me of Dance of Death for some reason.
  • This one long Janick solo, right? Cool.
  • Keyboards are too loud, especially considering Bruce's voice is so low.

I find it odd how people are always complaining about Janick's messy solos. Richie Blackmore's aggressive solos sound messy too yet nobody complains about him, because the consensus is that he's awesome and everything he touched until Blackmore's Night was gold. Blackmore's one of my favorite guitarists by the way, so this is not a jab against him.

Yeah! I mean - i liked their songs before but all clicked when I heard No Prayer for the first time. I loved his tone and energy. He moved Maiden from 'great band' to 'the band that I must see live' in my head. Funny thing is that every time I watch Maiden show with first-timers they always remember Bruce and Janick.

It's funny because I was introduced to Maiden with Brave New World and it was "Ghost of the Navigator" that really hooked me as well as his lead work in "Brave New World" and "Blood Brothers". Didn't even see the guy, it was just the playing which is PHENOMENAL.

Back