New single: Stratego

Janick's soloing work has come a long way. I no longer regard him as a detriment like I used to. Starting with his solos on TBOS and now on this song. Hopefully a sign of good things on the rest of Senjutsu.....

Stratego could really fit into the Brave New World album. Somehow it reminds me of The Mercenary.

This is way better than The Writing On The Wall. The guitar solo is awesome.

I could even imagine Blaze Bayley singing it...
I wouldnt say the solo is "Awesome" but by Janick standards its great. I was a previous Janick "hater". He has come a long way in his album solos IMHO. Now if he could just polish his live solos a little more.......

Off topic, but bc Im listening on Amazon, after Stratego ended TWOTW came on, so I listened to it all the way through and got reminded through legitamate chills and goosebumps how awesome Adrian's solo is. I'm thinking it may surpass SIASL and thats saying ALOT........

I wouldnt say the solo is "Awesome" but by Janick standards its great. I was a previous Janick "hater". He has come a long way in his album solos IMHO. Now if he could just polish his live solos a little more.......
Again though, why? Rawness can be a quality. Look at Blackmore. They are very similar in that regard. I would not want Blackmore's aggressive solos to sound polished.

Sinister is the perfect way to describe that riff; I was searching for the words to describe how it sounded, to my ears anyway, and you hit upon it for me.
''Sinister'' is indeed the right word. It is different from the melody of the chorus, which is a nice contrast.

The layers in the chorus are great, both vocals and guitars are throwing the kitchen sink in.

Only on 3rd listen as I was watching a match but hooked already.

Do they do a little disguise on the solo, i.e. it comes in where there should be a chorus?

I love the song. The only weakness I see is that the main first 2 verses could have been sung more aggressively. It sounded too subdued for my taste. I love the rest of the vocals!!

Back