New posters! Who are you?

I know you don't know Greek, but this is my personal blog, made in Greek, which contains translated Iron Maiden lyrics and the story behind each song! Check it out if you want!

Nice! My weekend is kinda busy, but I'll check it out next week. We have a lot of Greek people here :D

Can you read Greek? But most importantly: can you turn left? :D

Well, I grew up in Germany to Greek parents and (except Uni) received all of my education at a Greek school in Germany, so: yes lol
I'm fluent in writing, reading and talking, but my orthography was always quite bad and nowadays it's probably even worse :D
Had 6 years of Ancient Greek, but almost nothing of that stayed with me :innocent::facepalm:
Stuff like translating, or analyzing the text I was actually pretty good at, mostly got full marks. Grammar I had abandoned quite quickly, so by the end I wasn't even trying with those and my teachers knew as well. There was no point in me bullshitting there and them having to suffer through reading that bullshit, so I always skipped those lol.
Even had to partake in the panellinies and pass, to be allowed to study in Germany, because Greek diplomas aren't recognized in German universities, unless you've passed the panellinies (or did the Abitur in Germany, which is the final couple of years of German high school).

Last edited:
I did 2 years of Ancient Greek my first test was a flawless 20/20 for the last test I returned a blanc page! :D

I can read Greek because I'm a nerd.

There is a debate on how to pronounce the Greek double letters today.
How you would pronounce “οιωνός” ?

1. Ionos
2. Oïonos

I still can debate the alphabet in a high tempo.
My last exam was a big failure though.

Back in school I hated Ancient Greek, since I was forced to do it. Nowadays, I kinda wish I paid more attention, for the sole fact that I find etymology incredibly interesting. I'm the annoying dude who constantly turns to my partner to tell her "Did you know that [word we heard being used in German or English] is Greek/Ancient Greek and means such and such?" lol. It's fascinating to see how words evolve and how sometimes they even have completely different meanings. Take empathy for example. In German and English it has the same meaning mostly, in Greek it's basically the opposite.
Also, being fluent in Greek is basically a cheat code on trivia nights, when many questions are of the form "What does this Greek or Latin word mean?" :D

I did 2 years of Ancient Greek my first test was a flawless 20/20 for the last test I returned a blanc page! :D

There is a debate on how to pronounce the Greek double letters today.
How you would pronounce “οιωνός” ?

1. Ionos
2. Oïonos

If written like that, the second option. But I should have specified that I know ancient Greek.

Back in school I hated Ancient Greek, since I was forced to do it. Nowadays, I kinda wish I paid more attention, for the sole fact that I find etymology incredibly interesting. I'm the annoying dude who constantly turns to my partner to tell her "Did you know that [word we heard being used in German or English] is Greek/Ancient Greek and means such and such?" lol. It's fascinating to see how words evolve and how sometimes they even have completely different meanings. Take empathy for example. In German and English it has the same meaning mostly, in Greek it's basically the opposite.
Also, being fluent in Greek is basically a cheat code on trivia nights, when many questions are of the form "What does this Greek or Latin word mean?" :D

We could be friends, I think.

If written like that, the second option. But I should have specified that I know ancient Greek.

Yes I know. New Greek has established and known rules how the double letters should sound. Those rules do not come out of the thin air, as a matter of fact their roots are in ancient times. It's called tradition.

Despite that, many scientists outside Greece treat the ancient Greek as a dead language and because of this instead of pronouncing "οι" as i or "αι" as e, the pronounce them oï and aï respectively.

Thus they totally discard the tradition and the fact that ancient poetry metres and rhymes would have made no sense should we pronounced double letters as some foreign scientists propose.

My estimation for active Maidenfans right now: US > UK >> Greece > Germany > Finland

Hello!
I am a new member, location Thessaloniki, Greece

Nice to meet all of you!

Myst? I guess from Μύστης huh? Nice word. To person who initiate you to another dimension. What's the English word? Initiator? Hierophant?

From Wikipedia: Under Peisistratos of Athens, the Eleusinian Mysteries became pan-Hellenic, and pilgrims flocked from Greece and beyond to participate. Around 300 BC, the state took over control of the mysteries; they were controlled by two families, the Eumolpidae and the Kerykes.

The last of Eumolpidae whose name was Nestorius (not the archbishop :D the other one) has bitterly said upon destruction of the site, by Alaric something like "now starts a great spiritual night for humankind"

The closing of the Eleusinian Mysteries in 392 AD by the emperor Theodosius I is reported by Eunapius, a historian and biographer of the Greek philosophers. Eunapius had been initiated by the last legitimate Hierophant, who had been commissioned by the emperor Julian to restore the Mysteries, which had by then fallen into decay. According to Eunapius, the last Hierophant was a usurper, "the man from Thespiae who held the rank of Father in the mysteries of Mithras". In 396, during his raiding campaign in Attica, the king of the Goths Alaric I – accompanied by Christian monks "in their dark robes"[63] – looted the remains of the shrines.

My estimation for active Maidenfans right now: US > UK >> Greece > Germany > Finland

Myst? I guess from Μύστης huh? Nice word. To person who initiate you to another dimension. What's the English word? Initiator? Hierophant?

From Wikipedia: Under Peisistratos of Athens, the Eleusinian Mysteries became pan-Hellenic, and pilgrims flocked from Greece and beyond to participate. Around 300 BC, the state took over control of the mysteries; they were controlled by two families, the Eumolpidae and the Kerykes.

The last of Eumolpidae whose name was Nestorius (not the archbishop :D the other one) has bitterly said upon destruction of the site, by Alaric something like "now starts a great spiritual night for humankind"

The closing of the Eleusinian Mysteries in 392 AD by the emperor Theodosius I is reported by Eunapius, a historian and biographer of the Greek philosophers. Eunapius had been initiated by the last legitimate Hierophant, who had been commissioned by the emperor Julian to restore the Mysteries, which had by then fallen into decay. According to Eunapius, the last Hierophant was a usurper, "the man from Thespiae who held the rank of Father in the mysteries of Mithras". In 396, during his raiding campaign in Attica, the king of the Goths Alaric I – accompanied by Christian monks "in their dark robes"[63] – looted the remains of the shrines.

Hello!
My nickname was chosen randomly from the PC Game "Myst" many years ago :)

Back