New Frontier

How good is New Frontier on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
4/10

It's catchy, but sub-par for Maiden. It's interesting listening to Nicko's thoughts and opinions in the lyrics, even though I strongly disagree with them.

I think the song has the usual mistakes. Meaning that the music,solo,vocal lines are great......but there is too much repetition. I got to edit the song and I think that it now sounds far better

Sounds like a filler to me. A good filler, but still a filler.
There is nothing bad about the song, apart from maybe some of the lyrics. The vocals are good, especially the wails bruce does at the end of the chorus. Adrians solo is great as usual. The chorus is great and catchy.
But the song doesn't do anything special for me. Therefore a 6. (I saw I voted a 7 before)

6/10

No. Just no. Sorry, Nicko, but this is as "Maiden on autopilot" as it gets. 4/10 and I'm being generous.

I don't buy into the whole 'filler' thing, but I'll call this slightly generic. Still enjoyable, though. I'd ideally give it a 6.5 rather than a 7, if that option was available.

I don't buy into the whole 'filler' thing
Me neither. Especially since Nicko wrote it, I can't imagine him writing a song just for the hell of it after 20 years. I think it's more accurate that he's an amateur songwriter and we got an amateur song. They probably left it on the album as a courtesy to Nicko.

It's still fun though, I think the riffs are really catchy and it has a great chorus. Similar to Gates, it feels a bit like Maiden going through the motions but I think this song is far superior. Better vocal melodies, a better riff, better soloing. It's the better example of an average rocker. The guitar melodies at around the 3:30 mark are awesome. That bit wouldn't have been out of place on the Powerslave album.

Again, I think the biggest flaw with DoD is having Gates of Tomorrow and New Frontier back to back. One or the other would've been fine, but having both in a row makes the album seem worse than it really is IMO.

Not as bad as GofTomorrow but still absolutely filler. Dave is good on it though. This album should have been 9 or 8 tracks only.

7/10

New Frontier is the first (and only) song that Nicko has ever written for the band, apparently coming up with the bass lines for the main riff and verses, as well as most of the lyrics. It’s an odd song in Maiden’s catalogue, dealing with Nicko’s Christian beliefs that human cloning is somewhere along the lines of a Satanic ritual. Adrian’s bluesy licks throughout are rather cool and the chorus is certainly catchy, but overall New Frontier is another unremarkable rocker. The verses are rather pedestrian in both lyrics and melodies. The bridge is great, though, with the first half sounding like something that could have been on Killers or Number of the Beast. Murray's mini-solo and the trio of guitar harmonies perfectly encapsulate the new Maiden sound. It’s a small moment that is a great melding of the ages.

Let's get it out of the way - the lyrics are some of the band's most mediocre. I imagine the song came about something like this:

STEVE: Huh, Nicko's never written a fucking song yet. And he's been in the band for forever. This needs to be rectified. HEY NICKO!
NICKO: Yeah?
STEVE: Got an idea for a song?
NICKO: Um, well I-
STEVE: Good, write it!
*later on, Nicko presents his composition*
STEVE: Huh, this is... huh.
NICKO: Yeah, it's not that good but-
STEVE: We'll do this song, but stick to the drums henceforth, 'kay, Nick ol' chum?
NICKO: Oh roight-y ho.

But besides the lyrics, this is an excellent track. It's catchy, the chorus is great, and the music is excellent. A good 9/10 from me.

This song is... I don't know.. not good, but not bad. It's there. And that's a problem because you shouldn't have two mediocre songs in a row.

6/10

Anyone know what Bruce had to do with this song? All I ever see is info about Adrian's contributions.

A step-up from "Gates of Tomorrow", but still not up to par with the rest of material in the album. Nonetheless, it's an enjoyable song which shows that Nicko has lots of potential in songwriting. He should write more, could use a little more training. The only part of this song I don't really like and find to be a little bit awkward is the way they ended the chorus with a question ("Is it worth the risk, a war of god and man?"), and while that can be done, they couldn't pull it off that well; Bruce's vocal melody was kinda weird there as well. Overall, a very good song. 7.

A decent song, not much more and not much less. It’s hard to call it a filler considering it’s pretty unique, as it’s Nicko’s only contribution and it’s strangely specific and one sided. I don’t agree with the lyrics, but I somewhat respect Nicko’s opinion and I like that he doesn’t push his beliefs on others (well, apart from this song I guess). Anyway, 6/10

A decent opening riff breaks into a bright, melodic verse. Bruce sounds a little strained here, but it's still pretty good. A strong, ominous pre-chorus leads into a pretty catchy chorus.

Another round of verse through chorus, and then we get a strong interlude and solo, with an unexpectedly cool dual lead that abruptly cuts away to the pre-chorus and chorus again. Nice heavy outro. Some of Bruce's melodic choices here remind me of his solo work, in a good way.

Not sure why this song catches shit from people. A solid 7/10 to me.

Decent song. Weak lyrics are its worst point, but they aren't the worst ever. I like the chorus here but as a whole the song isn't one of Maiden's best. Enjoyable, but merely above average. 6

Last edited:
First songwriting attempt from Nicko. Aggressive start to the song. Great riff, verses and the chorus is ok. The riff before the solo (played by Adrian) is awesome and the solo is great too. Love the little guitar melodies under the chorus by Adrian. Nice long note from Bruce at the end of the song. The triple-lead guitar harmonies after the solo are very melodic and so typical for Maiden... 8/10

Back