New album cover art just posted!

Not sure what to think. It's better than Dance of Death for sure (what an achievement) but I still find it quite commonplace and not that interesting really. It's not a bad picture but it doesn't draw your eyes to it like Riggs' covers did and it feels like it might as well be any Maiden-influenced metal band of little relevance's new album cover.

In short, not a complete failure but nothing particularly memorable.

Shadow said:
Not sure what to think. It's better than Dance of Death for sure (what an achievement) but I still find it quite commonplace and not that interesting really. It's not a bad picture but it doesn't draw your eyes to it like Riggs' covers did and it feels like it might as well be any Maiden-influenced metal band of little relevance's new album cover.

In short, not a complete failure but nothing particularly memorable.
I fully agree with you, Shadow. :-[

Yax said:
I'm not sure what to think of it...It looks great, but i'd like Eddie a bit nearer. From that point of view he doesn't look big enough to see the details of his "lovely" face. And it's a shame. Since of the very serious concept of the album, it's not as humerous as the early one's used to be. But if you let your imagnination take over for a bit, it does get a bit more funny. As for example, this artwork reminds me of the old piratetales. The biggest reason I assume, is the black flagg, which makes me think of the old ships with those big cannons with absolutley no accuracy. Now,let's get back to the artwork itself.

At the first sight, the artwork doesn't seem to take place in a specific war but It seems that Eddie has an Thompson in his hand if what I'm assuming is correct. But on the other hand, the logo on the flagg has a rifle with significant similarities to the M16, except for the magazine, which is too close to  the "exit" for an M16. If it's supposed to be a modified M16, then it can't be in WW2, since the M16 and it's predecessors came just before the Vietnam war. The tank doesn't seem to be a "real" one, since it seems to be an mixture between a german Tiger, and a russian T80.
And the helmet that the closest skeleton wears is an american M1 helmet, from the WW2 and they wear american WW2 clothing. The skeleton second closest has a german MP40, which seems a bit strange because of the clothes. The belts which they carry ammo in are also from WW2. But another thing that indicates that it's post-ww2 is the smoke launchers on the tank which was used first in the 60:s.    

well.......since they're all dead, they could have been resurrected after WW2 and the 60's, so that way it would be logical that the skeletons are all wearing uniforms/weapons from different time periods........

come on what are we talking about, It's a great atmospheric cover

Maverick said:
Now, that wasn't very difficult, was it?   :rolleyes:

Of course not, I just think people are being a little too picky and critical when in fact they should just be happy it is actual artwork and not some CGI crap concocted on some 15 year-olds power mac at the last minute...

new album cover artist

Does anyone know who painted the new album cover??

Re: new album cover artist

Did this really need a new thread or could you just have posted in the existing one?
*sigh*

Re: new album cover artist

Conor said:
Did this really need a new thread or could you just have posted in the existing one?
*sigh*

oh my, are we frustrated?.......

Think the new cover is a vast improvement on dod, however my one criticism is that eddie is too far away and at first glance its hard to spot him at all, and if anything isnt quite like the eddie we know and love. I also noticed there is a resemblence to dod venetian style masked characters that were on dod cover, in the bottom right corner as a corpse with the mask on, cool artwork theres probably more hidden references.

All in all cool artwork, not the best ever, doubt riggsy can ever be outdone when it comes to maiden!!!

The Wicker Man said:
oh my, are we frustrated?.......
Conor has a point. A thread was started for discussion on the cover and then a further 2 had been started since.
MaidenEngland787 said:
I also noticed there is a resemblence to dod venetian style masked characters that were on dod cover, in the bottom right corner as a corpse with the mask on, cool artwork theres probably more hidden references.
If you're looking at the same image as me, I'm surprised you can pick up that much detail.

New album artwork

Albie said:
Conor has a point. A thread was started for discussion on the cover and then a further 2 had been started since.

Topics merged. Sorted!   :ok:

New album artwork

cover.jpg

I quite like the artwork. I always like dark colours in artworks.
Would they have hired Riggs to draw Eddie's face on this artwork? ;-)

More important: It seems my hopes/wishes will come true about The Longest Day !

http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?topic=12381.60

-_-

About the self-written b-sides, I am afraid that was a wish of Kevin, but the Maiden guys seem to have preferred good ol' covers again. :/  Maybe they're all fooling us and there won't be any b-sides at all. :)

Look at the poor chap at the front left.....his hat's on fire and none of his mates have told him! :D

This is the kind of atmosphere that I like. :innocent:

national acrobat said:
Look at the poor chap at the front left.....his hat's on fire and none of his mates have told him! :D

This is the kind of atmosphere that I like. :innocent:
Hilarious.
Note that one of the guys is smoking and he looks pretty unhealthy (very very skinny). This cd cover undoubtedly carries an important warning against tobacco consumption!
  :innocent:

JackKnife said:
Note that one of the guys is smoking and he looks pretty unhealthy (very very skinny).
Well, would you say the rest look like they're in bloom? ;)

Back