New album cover art just posted!

Not sour grapes....I Guessed this was a Bradstreet piece the second I saw it.

I've hated/loathed/despised Bradstreet for years , especially after meeting him at the Chicago Con back in the mid 90's only to find out what a dickhead he is.

Plus I just hate seeing hack artists keep getting cool assignments. The guy does nothing but trace photos.ink and colout them in photoshop. You can tell his limitations by the overall composition of this piece....horrible.

The new album artwork is great IMO,  certainlly not the best,  but great none the less :wacko:

I agree Marduk, it is better than DOD.
but really that can't be that hard, I nearly cried/laughed when I first seen DOD cover.

I,m not sure either if Bradstreet was the best choice,  I checked out his website. its OK, but
Tap Legion, your right too. he does just trace photos and dolls them up a bit.  Maiden should have done a bit more research
on artists and sent an album theme breif to the top 10. I know they could have done more with it.

They could of hired Russ Heath or one of the Kuberts...those guys knew how to draw killer war stuff...Kinda like this...that Colonal look familiar ?

1974:

765900-ssws183.jpg

In my opinion I like what Maiden tried to do with the theme of the album cover. but its just to simple and Its not one of those covers that stands out from any other cover at the record store. But I guess it isn’t the artwork that matters but the songs on the album.

Prisoner Of Maiden said:
But I guess it isn’t the artwork that matters but the songs on the album.

Agreed, but I don't know if I'd have bought any Maiden album in the 80s if it hadn't been for the cover. Times change, I suppose...  :(

Maverick said:
Agreed, but I don't know if I'd have bought any Maiden album in the 80s if it hadn't been for the cover.
I'm surprised here, I would never have you down as been that fickle - buying an album on the strength of its cover. Surely you must have been tempted by some of the music.

You'll probably tell me now you was been sarcastic. ;)

What I meant is that the cover actually enhanced the power of the music. I'd listen to the LPs, turning them over and over, A side and B side, all the while staring at the cover and back cover, inside illustrations and the rest. Can you do that anymore nowadays? All you have now is a puny little CD cover, hardly bigger than a postage stamp -- which isn't so bad given the dubious quality of the artwork anyway!

Maverick said:
What I meant is that the cover actually enhanced the power of the music. I'd listen to the LPs, turning them over and over, A side and B side, all the while staring at the cover and back cover, inside illustrations and the rest.
I can relate to that. Yeah I see what you mean.
Imagine, if you will, had Sony gotten its way and MiniDisc's where here as oppose to CD's. :huh:

I actually resent this "it's-only-about-the-music" attitude. Record releases should be the association of aural and visual art for the enjoyment of both senses. Whereas the music is the core, the artwork is making it more enjoyable -- a bit like a good-looking woman properly dressed. Besides, a good -- or bad -- cover is more easily remembered than the music inside.

Basically, a record with a bad cover is as much of a let down as sex with rushed-up or no foreplay. I don't mind a quickie from time-to-time, but nothing beats the real McCoy!  :D

Maverick said:
What I meant is that the cover actually enhanced the power of the music. I'd listen to the LPs, turning them over and over, A side and B side, all the while staring at the cover and back cover, inside illustrations and the rest. Can you do that anymore nowadays? All you have now is a puny little CD cover, hardly bigger than a postage stamp -- which isn't so bad given the dubious quality of the artwork anyway!
Ha ha exactly! :ok:
I do agree at 100% with you Maverick. Dubious quality artworks: absolutely! :(

Maverick said:
Basically, a record with a bad cover is as much of a let down as sex with rushed-up or no foreplay. I don't mind a quickie from time-to-time, but nothing beats the real McCoy!  :D
Say no more. ;)

Another let down of the "information age" :rolleyes:
Read my rant here.  I bascially just say about how downloading music is bad.  Not just in terms of depriving the artist of their money but you are missing out on the "Real McCoy" as Mav says :p

Maverick said:
..more enjoyable -- a bit like a good-looking woman properly dressed...
Yeah. Trouble starts when some men don't mind a not-so-good-looking woman, as long as she tarts herself up. Same goes for music, I guess...

SilentLucidity said:
Yeah. Trouble starts when some men don't mind a not-so-good-looking woman, as long as she tarts herself up. Same goes for music, I guess...

I am a man of taste; I like women who look "natural" and who are not afraid to be themselves, even in the way they dress. Make-up can also be nice, but you know there's too much of it if you notice it. A bit like the synths in Iron Maiden...  -_-

Conor said:
Another let down of the "information age" :rolleyes:
Read my rant here.  I bascially just say about how downloading music is bad.  Not just in terms of depriving the artist of their money but you are missing out on the "Real McCoy" as Mav says :p
And you'd still be missing out on the real McCoy if the cover's crap. ;)

Personally I don't put much emphesis on the album art, as long as the music is good I'm OK.

Look at Pinky Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", "The Wall" album, or The Beatles "White Album". Very understated and simple album covers, they suited the concepts of the albums perfectly but you wouldn't spend a lot of time looking at them. Yet they're considered some the greatest albums of all time. When I listen to an album I don't root through the album sleeve just so I get a "true" experience.

mortiz said:
Personally I don't put much emphesis on the album art, as long as the music is good I'm OK.

Look at Pinky Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", "The Wall" album, or The Beatles "White Album". Very understated and simple album covers, they suited the concepts of the albums perfectly but you wouldn't spend a lot of time looking at them. Yet they're considered some the greatest albums of all time. When I listen to an album I don't root through the album sleeve just so I get a "true" experience.

Hmm... I tend to disagree. I have always been fascinated by the artwork for 'The Wall', particularly because of its simplicity. I own the gatefold LP, and I noticed I've been staring at it quite a bit. As for DSOTM, I had that hanging in my room as a poster for quite a while, so...

Back