Most underated songs

I know, but this has all been discussed on this forum before. With little time left, is it really a good use of their time doing another "retro" tour, lasting a couple of years? Touring, as they're always saying, is a lot of hard work --so why do it not supporting new material? I'm not saying Maiden England won't be amazing. And for those who weren't around in the late eighties (myself included) this will be a chance to see a historic setlist. But, for me, this just eats in to future new material time.

Imagine, in some alternate reality, Maiden had packed it in after DoD, or something. Think of all the fantastic music you'd have missed out on!, from AMoLaD & TFF, which, err, they didn't write --you know what I mean. And there's another point. Most of the appeal of the tour is the setlist & those old tracks that haven't really been played much. There is an easy solution to this, which harps back to the same point already made --just mix up the sets a bit more. We don't need Maiden England to hear Still Life --they could have played this on any tour, and cut the repetitive crap. If on the other hand the appeal is not the songs themselves, but just the whole feel of going back to the eighties (& it's setlist), well, what can I say. I thought Maiden said they weren't this kind of band (i.e. the "we're not a cabaret act" quote/paraphrase.) I for one would prefer another couple of albums. We can all look back on all of this when it's all over. We don't need to look back on two Maiden England tours; as much as it's appealing at some level. But if this is what the band want to do, fair enough.

I presume he (SH) meant that they didn't want to be catering to the lowest common denominator i.e. nostalgia setlists/tours, with no new material (either because their new stuff was, potentially, rubbish, not rated by older fans, or they weren't writing anything new --none of which, thankfully, apply to Maiden, in my opinion.) However I think "retro" tours (or those supporting older material re-released) come pretty close to this "nostalgia"; the only saving grace being the fact the they're still doing tours supporting new material as well. If they weren't doing the latter then presumably they would be the "cabaret act" Steve referred to.

My god they just got done doing a tour which was basically all either new material or stuff off the past few albums that have been played ...once maybe twice!! WTF!! you must be like my 10 year old daughter, LOOKING for something to complain about. If you haven't noticed, the band is cranking out new material every 3-4 years, AND wasting no time in between by putting on world wide spectacular tours !! Stop comparing Iron fuc*ing Maiden to 'other bands' and what those bands do. Maiden simply has the best catalog of music ever, and it should be played loud and proud. Those songs [The Trooper, 2 Minutes., Rime, The # OTB, etc. are the best Metal songs ever. Period. The other bands don't have them. Check the Maiden England list again, add in the fact that there will be 'surprises', and the fact that it will be only two-thirds of that list that is played. This will bring you to the conclusion that we just don't know exactly what will be there yet. We do know, it will be the best rock/metal band of all time, playing the best songs ever, live for us. You, me, all of us are blessed to have this. Let's enjoy.

" ...they just got done doing a tour which was basically all either new material or stuff off the past few albums that have been played ...once maybe twice" --are you referring to TFF tour here? Aside from TFF material (which they played an excellent selection from) I only recall one song from the previous two albums & another two from BNW on the 2011 leg of the tour. Again, as has been said before, do you really feel four tracks (DoD, Wicker Man, BB, & FotD) from the last twenty years is representative? Seriously, my point was a fair one... even if I was moaning! :D

Fair enough. I only made it to the first leg of the FF world tour being here on the West coast of the states. It was heavier than the second leg with rarely plaid songs. Paschendale, These colors don't run, Navigator, Blood Bros. Brave New World, Ben Breege, etc. It was a non- classics fest. So much in fact, that we were surrounded by casual fans that clearly didn't know all the material. I will never forget the Paschendale fiasco; So many in the audience cheering and clapping as though the song was over when it wasn't. At least three times during the great PFD the 'casuals' made themselves known. They flat out did not know the songs.
Maybe one of the "surprises" Bruce is alluding to will be an occasional variation of the set list. I'm seeing three shows in 5 nights and it would be very cool to get a different taste on different nights. I completely see your point there
innocent.gif

I feel like if Maiden wasn't touring the nostalgia tours, they wouldn't be touring at all. They'd have no reason to tour. I'm not convinced they would use that time to make another album. And I think that if they did write AMOLAD and TFF during that time, the albums wouldn't be as we knew them.

I like that they go back and forth between new material and old material tours because I feel like they're not just sitting on their asses and they're to make every fan happy. I also like it because I benefit from seeing two brand new tours (for me).

I agree that they should mix their setlists up more, though.

I'd have loved to have heard some AMoLaD stuff, bornless1 --Breeg especially. And, Kill Devil Hill, I suppose you have a point. If they weren't doing this, they might not be writing anyway. I hope "Maiden England" is just a springboard though --for a really original/special setlist, not really like the original. I'm sure (I hope) it will be.

Envious of anyone on the other side of the pond getting all this first...

I'd like to see a tour like Ed Hunter and Ed till I'm dead where they play classics like Aces High, Revelations, 22 Acacia Avenue but at the same time play the later stuff like Bring Your Daughter, Clansman and Brave New World. Except its hard to cover 15 albums in one tour.

Maiden's instrumental pieces (Transylvania, Ides Of March, Genghis Khan, Losfer words) may not be underrated or under-appreciated by fans, but they hardly ever get any live play at concerts. I find this saddening as they are some of the best pieces of music (in the Rock and Metal genres) ever composed, in my humble opinion.

Caught Somewhere in the Reincarnation of Benjamin's Seventh Son of a Clairvoyant Ancient Mariner, Hallowed be his name on the Longest Day?

Back