Most Overrated Maiden Song

I definitely agree with Number of the Beast; I've never understood what makes that song so special. It's not terrible or anything, but just too happy for the absurd lyrical theme.

In fact, I think that album as a whole is massively overrated. I just don't get what makes it such a "classic." Yeah, it was Bruce's first, but nothing really strikes a chord with me aside from Children, Hallowed, and Run to the Hills (which is a fun song but also massively overrated). The rest of the album is pretty much filler to me; Piece of Mind is far superior.

I agree to a certain extent. As much as I could care less about "Number of the Beast", it is a Maiden classic. Which means half of the album is classics and the other half is filler, although I enjoy "The Prisoner" and 22.

Sadly, this is something that has plagued Maiden albums forever: half the album is superior (usually the first half) and half is inferior (usually the second half). Final Frontier is the only album that seems to be structured in the opposite order.

I agree to a certain extent. As much as I could care less about "Number of the Beast", it is a Maiden classic. Which means half of the album is classics and the other half is filler, although I enjoy "The Prisoner" and 22.

Sadly, this is something that has plagued Maiden albums forever: half the album is superior (usually the first half) and half is inferior (usually the second half). Final Frontier is the only album that seems to be structured in the opposite order.
Half of TFF is inferior? Honestly, I thought there was no filler on there, apart from the abomination that is S15

Nah, not what I meant, I kind of misspoke there. I was simply saying that most fans regard the second half of TFF to be stronger than the first (as opposed to say, Piece of Mind, where the first half is absolutely perfect and the second is just okay). Personally, I'm not a big fan of "Starblind" or TMWWBK, but I think the other three tracks on the latter half are brilliant. IMO, the album is incredibly solid all the way through, but if I had to pick weaker songs I'd pick the title track or "El Dorado" over things like "Talisman", "Avalon", or the astounding "Wild Wind".

TFF doesn't really click until Avalon. Sat15 is a gimmick song, after first few listens I find myself skipping it, TFF is a very standard rocker, probably good fun live but otherwise doesn't really excite. El Dorado and Mother of Mercy feel like they were made from leftovers (not necessarily a bad thing though). They're not bad songs, they're decent. That's really the problem with TFF's first half - it's 'just ok'. Coming Home and The Alchemist are again, decent. Avalon, Starblind, Talisman... that's where things get epic.

Reactions: Jer
Disagree. Mother of Mercy is great. Coming Home is up there as well. They'd blow Talisman out of the water.

TFF doesn't really click until Avalon. Sat15 is a gimmick song, after first few listens I find myself skipping it, TFF is a very standard rocker, probably good fun live but otherwise doesn't really excite. El Dorado and Mother of Mercy feel like they were made from leftovers (not necessarily a bad thing though). They're not bad songs, they're decent. That's really the problem with TFF's first half - it's 'just ok'. Coming Home and The Alchemist are again, decent. Avalon, Starblind, Talisman... that's where things get epic.

I pretty much agree with this, though I think I like El Dorado more than most here. But Mother of Mercy feels like it should have been on AMOLAD, and Alchemist seems like a "we need a shorter rocker here" song. Neither are bad songs, but they are nothing special.

Avalon is just awesome, one of my all time favorite Maiden songs and my favorite on this album

It is a good album, but coming after AMOLAD it was almost bound to be a bit of a let down. The Pilgrim was really the only so-so song on AMOLAD, everything else was top notch. TFF did not quite hit that level IMO.

Mother of Mercy feels like it should have been on AMOLAD, and Alchemist seems like a "we need a shorter rocker here" song. Neither are bad songs, but they are nothing special.

"Mother" definitely sounds like something from AMOLAD, which is what I love about it. I think that, "Alchemist", and "Coming Home" are all fantastic. I actually like them better than "Starblind", which feels like a moderately successful tribute to the entire SiT album or a Dickinson solo song, and "The Man Who Would Be King", which is just oddly structured and kind of sloppy. What remains blatantly clear is that the first two songs, as likable as they are, are simply not up to snuff with the rest of the album.

IMO, each track is okay, but some are a bit weak, but some are brilliant

S15 - I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but its ridiculously slow, boring and honestly a total abomination
TFF - A decend rocker, nice beat, questionable lyrics
MoM - not the worst song, but not the best either. Certainly decent filler
Coming Home - Tbh, I don't get it. Makes no sense to me. Dull
Alchemist - a fun song, great tune, but feels out of place
Avalon - a great Maiden song
Starblind - no opinion on it, not listened to it properly
Talisman - Can plod on a bit, but a good song
MWWBK - Good song, decent thriller
WTWWB - Stunning epic, and amazing close to an album

On reflection, TFF is moderately decent

Mother of Mercy feels like it should have been on AMOLAD, and Alchemist seems like a "we need a shorter rocker here" song. Neither are bad songs, but they are nothing special.

The Pilgrim was really the only so-so song on AMOLAD, everything else was top notch. TFF did not quite hit that level IMO.

Agreed on both counts.

"Starblind", which feels like a moderately successful tribute to the entire SiT album or a Dickinson solo song

I think a lot of love for Starblind comes from the excellent lyrics. The music is nice, but I feel it gets too repetitive with that same riff.

TMWWBK never really clicked with me. The intro reminds me of Mortal Kombat, but after that I just lose interest.

Coming Home sounds very much like a Dickinson solo song in my opinion.

I love Starblind, but he's right, that riff comes up a ton.

I agree that starting at track 6 the isle of avalon is when the album kicks it up another notch and all the songs from there on out is what it make this album great

One thing I do love about Starblind is the fact that Adrian solos over almost the entire song. I can forgive that riff being played thousands of times due to this. There's also this really cool reverb effect on the lead guitar during the part just after 5:00 (I'm assuming this is Adrian just because) which really fits the galactic theme of the song. Oh, and Adrian's (notice a theme here?) quiet solo immediately following this section is very expressive and a nice dynamic change for once.

'Seventh son of a seventh son' and 'Phantom of the Opera'. Again, both are good but not as much as they are projected by maiden fans.

SSOASS and phantom of the opera. Both good but not as much as fans project them to be. Run to the hills is also quite overrated.

Back