Most Overrated Maiden Song

I think "Run to the Hills" is pretty low rated by most Maiden fans, actually. To the rest of the world, it's horribly overrated, though.

SSOASS and Phantom are the songs of the gods. That is all.

I like Phantom of the opera. Its one of the best songs from Paul's era but I hardly think it should appear so frequently in their setlist as maiden do. Wrathchild and Prowler somewhat appeal more to me but its just my opinion of course.

Run To The Hills gets my vote. In my experience, for most people it was their introduction to Maiden. Catchy chorus, cool solo, but that's about it.

If I had to pick something else I'd probably say Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. Or anything off of that album, for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I like it and it's still a great album, but I think it's highly overrated past Moonchild, The Evil That Men Do.

/puts on flame suit

Last edited:
For me, it's by far The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Just because a song goes past the ten minute mark doesn't mean it's a masterpiece or a "prog epic". The beginning riff drags on for too long, followed by the massive waste of CD space in the middle section, only to return to the same riff again. It only gets attention for it being the longest song in their discography.

Steve has written much better epics, like Phantom of the Opera (the dueling guitar harmonies give me goosebumps every time), The Clansman, and Hallowed that are the true masterpieces and some of my favorite maiden songs.

*puts up flame shield*

Last edited:
The above post is controversial.

I'd say Rime is overrated in this forum for some of the same reasons: the middle part is too long, the same riff goes on for a bit too long, but...between that riff are many other smaller riffs that make the song nice. The harmonies and great little things, which brings me to the best part of the song. Once the middle part is over, the tension starts to build. The solos are some of Maiden's best: melodic and thought-out, complete - just how a solo should be. Now comes, in my opinion, one of the most epic, if not the most epic harmony this band has created, bringing an end to this great climax. The final part is largely the same as first. All in all, I'd say Rime is not as flawless as some people think it is but definitely one that deserves its honour and fame among us fans.

It's funny because I don't get the same epic feeling you're describing listening to Rime, but I do listening to the other Maiden epics (Stranger in a Strange Land and Phantom of The Opera). It's a matter of subjectivity in that sense. But overall, I know there is great technical prowess in Rime, but I feel it is eclipsed by Steve's better work.

2 Minutes to Midnight probably, although No More Lies, Blood Brothers, Wicker Man, Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter and Fear of the Dark are up there for me.

Remember Tomorrow, Starblind, Revelations, The Book of Souls, and To Tame A Land are the ones I'd go for.

The Number of the Beast. I like Maiden for their catchy melodies, their guitar harmonies, their epics and Nicko. This one has none of that. Okay. But out of all their shorter songs, this one is the least memorable, the least interesting, yet it is beloved by many. It's one of those songs that even non-fans immediately recognise or name. And I just don't get it. For crying out loud, why???

EDIT: Oooh, I see I'm not alone in that regard

There's a few songs that most Maiden fans love that I don't (and vice versa), but if we're saying what song is overplayed, overhyped, and overrated?

The Number of the Beast.

Oh, you mean those "other" Beckett songs, right? Because from what I've seen, there's some serious love for several Beckett songs here on the forum... :ninja:

No, I mean those loved ones, but you did say that everything apart from maybe The Apparition and Weekend Warrior is overrated

Back