Metallica

72 Seasons and Senjutsu both have massive production issues and the issues are different.

Senjutsu is muddy as hell, the vocals are often mixed too low, the keyboard is mixed too high, the guitars lack bite, and the performances are occasionally average.

72 Seasons is far too loud, the drums (specifically the hi-hat) are way too loud, the guitars lack depth, and overall it has zero "room" personality.

Neither are preferable for me and both need a better mix, but I'd take Metallica's over Maiden's production.

Another issue with dynamics is Hetfield playing all the rhythm. A lot of the tracks on 72 Seasons could benefit from a bit of the colour that Hammett brings to tracks like Bleeding Me etc.

Another issue with dynamics is Hetfield playing all the rhythm. A lot of the tracks on 72 Seasons could benefit from a bit of the colour that Hammett brings to tracks like Bleeding Me etc.
What a track that is. Loved the acoustic version they released a few years back.

Wow, opening with an instrumental! Weird.

I think they will play at least half of the new album live, or maybe more. The other 2 singles + Room Of Mirrors/Too Far Gone/Inamorata/You Must Burn! (I guess).
Yeah, an 8 minute instrumental. Maybe they will open with Inamorata tomorrow night...

From what I've seen of the stage, it's an interesting concept in doing an in-the-round show in a stadium, but I feel it's something I'm going to like better when I actually see it in person.
The light show with 4+ big stage pillars is pretty cool.
72 Seasons and Senjutsu both have massive production issues and the issues are different.

Senjutsu is muddy as hell, the vocals are often mixed too low, the keyboard is mixed too high, the guitars lack bite, and the performances are occasionally average.

72 Seasons is far too loud, the drums (specifically the hi-hat) are way too loud, the guitars lack depth, and overall it has zero "room" personality.

Neither are preferable for me and both need a better mix, but I'd take Metallica's over Maiden's production.
I agree that Senjutsu could have been improved in terms of the production (which I think is good), it's not perfect, but big disagree about the performances. The sound of the guitars is clear, their rhythm sound lacks bite (for the last two albums).

Metallica's album production is very good imo (minus the drum sound) and has one big advantage - it sounds much more powerful.
Yeah, an 8 minute instrumental. Maybe they will open with Inamorata tomorrow night...
Haha, I doubt it. They should definitely play it. Helloween are probably the only band that had openers that are 12-13 minutes long.

I’m pretty sure Hetfield has always played the rhythms on albums?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one! :lol:
Yeah what the fuck. They're both meh in their own ways, but Senjutsu's way of being meh is genuinely annoying because it stems from a lack of effort and a warts-and-all approach that does not suit the band at all if you look at how polished their 80s sound was.

Metallica's is just boring and tiresome to listen to with how loud it is and especially the fucking hi-hat. Other than that, nothing's lost in the mix, the vocals are upfront enough, the drums although very sample-y sounding (and too loud) are at the very least clear sounding without overtones and other noise. It's essentially a boring modern metal mix done by a band that was known for almost too-polished sound in the 90s.

Funny how that works, both bands just suddenly lost their minds after a decade+ of better and better production and never seemed to recover.

Newsted’s live energy was unmatched in Metallica history. Newsted’s playing, though not as “virtuous” as Cliff or Rob, was the tightest sounding in Metallica’s history.

Mustaine, as a lead guitarist, was absolutely stellar until the last 5-10 years. Physical issues have really plagued him. Otherwise, he’s a better guitarist than anyone in Metallica. Sure, Hetfield is the solid gold standard of rhythm and Kirk in his prime was killer, but Mustaine could play killer rhythms and leads WHILE singing. The difference is that his voice never sounded even half as good as Hetfield’s.
I would have loved for Mustaine to come back as a third guitarist, doubling rhythm with Hetfield, ala Priest, taking over some solos from Kirk or even adding additional solos to some songs. It would be really interesting to see what they could produce in the studio together as well, considering his early contributions to Metallica songs.

Lars' kit hurts my eyes.

Happy to see Holier Than Thou in there, as I've always liked it. Fun little upbeat gem of a song with a killer instrumental section (that bass!) and fiery riffs.

Helloween are probably the only band that had openers that are 12-13 minutes long.
Dream Theater would like a word.

I’m pretty sure Hetfield has always played the rhythms on albums?
Kirk played rhythm on Load, Reload, and (I believe) Garage Inc. He's panned pretty far right while Hetfield is left. Hammett's parts actually added a lot of depth to the songs. I have no clue (and no care) about St. Anger, but I think with the band's last three albums they went back to only James on rhythm.

Stunning setlist, with the exception of mandatory garbage Fuel. Absolutely genius to start with Orion.
While Load and Reload have their fair share of fillers, Fuel is definitely not one of them.

Yeah what the fuck. They're both meh in their own ways, but Senjutsu's way of being meh is genuinely annoying because it stems from a lack of effort and a warts-and-all approach that does not suit the band at all if you look at how polished their 80s sound was.

Metallica's is just boring and tiresome to listen to with how loud it is and especially the fucking hi-hat. Other than that, nothing's lost in the mix, the vocals are upfront enough, the drums although very sample-y sounding (and too loud) are at the very least clear sounding without overtones and other noise. It's essentially a boring modern metal mix done by a band that was known for almost too-polished sound in the 90s.

Funny how that works, both bands just suddenly lost their minds after a decade+ of better and better production and never seemed to recover.
With Metallica, it's great that they own their label/masters and everything so ultimately they're the heads of the creative process. A lot of artists could benefit from that but don't have the financial backing to be able to do that. The other side of that with Metallica is there's no need for them to get an outside voice to keep them in line and push them to go for the next level. Compare the 'making of' videos of Death Magnetic/Hardwired to the behind the scenes videos of them making The Black Album; Greg Fidelman's just there to make sure everything's tracked in tune and on time while Bob Rock was actively pushing them creatively.

With Maiden, I imagine EMI/Parlophone just went "Here's your advance. You guys know how to make your records. Do whatever you want so long as we get it by this date."

Regarding the sample-y sound of the drums on 72 Seasons, I'm certain Lars is using the same triggers he has on his drums live in the studio now as well.

Back