Metallica

I really don't see what Newsted adds to it. Anyone can do cookie monster vocals. Get someone who can actually harmonize with James and plays the bass as well as Rob and you'd have something. Also Mustaine is overrated.
Newsted’s live energy was unmatched in Metallica history. Newsted’s playing, though not as “virtuous” as Cliff or Rob, was the tightest sounding in Metallica’s history.

Mustaine, as a lead guitarist, was absolutely stellar until the last 5-10 years. Physical issues have really plagued him. Otherwise, he’s a better guitarist than anyone in Metallica. Sure, Hetfield is the solid gold standard of rhythm and Kirk in his prime was killer, but Mustaine could play killer rhythms and leads WHILE singing. The difference is that his voice never sounded even half as good as Hetfield’s.

Newsted’s live energy was unmatched in Metallica history. Newsted’s playing, though not as “virtuous” as Cliff or Rob, was the tightest sounding in Metallica’s history.

Mustaine, as a lead guitarist, was absolutely stellar until the last 5-10 years. Physical issues have really plagued him. Otherwise, he’s a better guitarist than anyone in Metallica. Sure, Hetfield is the solid gold standard of rhythm and Kirk in his prime was killer, but Mustaine could play killer rhythms and leads WHILE singing. The difference is that his voice never sounded even half as good as Hetfield’s.
This, and anyway I think it's a bit silly to yearn for Metallica songs to be played by anyone other than Metallica themselves. They are who they are, they are what they are. Still, if you wanted to assemble the best musicians of the Big 4 and see them play music together, Hetfield/Mustaine/Newsted/Lombardo really is just about the best lineup possible.

This, and anyway I think it's a bit silly to yearn for Metallica songs to be played by anyone other than Metallica themselves. They are who they are, they are what they are. Still, if you wanted to assemble the best musicians of the Big 4 and see them play music together, Hetfield/Mustaine/Newsted/Lombardo really is just about the best lineup possible.
That’s 2 massive egos and 2 workmanlike egos too many.

Of the Big 4, I’d go: Hetfield, Friedman, Benante, Newsted. That wouldn’t work either, but oh well!

As above, dynamics is the main thing. About 8 of the tracks start of with a buildy up intro before kicking into a groove

Funny to see this complain by a devoted Maidenfan :D

1. Orion
2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
3. Holier Than Thou
4. King Nothing
5. Lux Aeterna
6. Screaming Suicide
7. Fade to Black
8. Sleepwalk My Life Away
9. Nothing Else Matters
10. Sad But True
11. The Day That Never Comes
12. Ride the Lightning
13. Battery
14. Fuel
15. Seek & Destroy
16. Master of Puppets

Stunning setlist, with the exception of mandatory garbage Fuel. Absolutely genius to start with Orion.

New tour kicked off in Amsterdam tonight...

1. Orion
2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
3. Holier Than Thou
4. King Nothing
5. Lux Aeterna
6. Screaming Suicide
7. Fade to Black
8. Sleepwalk My Life Away
9. Nothing Else Matters
10. Sad But True
11. The Day That Never Comes
12. Ride the Lightning
13. Battery
14. Fuel
15. Seek & Destroy
16. Master of Puppets

Thought they'd do 4 songs each night from the new album, so, that's a bit of a surprise it's only 3.
Wow, opening with an instrumental! Weird.

I think they will play at least half of the new album live, or maybe more. The other 2 singles + Room Of Mirrors/Too Far Gone/Inamorata/You Must Burn! (I guess).

That’s 2 massive egos and 2 workmanlike egos too many.

Of the Big 4, I’d go: Hetfield, Friedman, Benante, Newsted. That wouldn’t work either, but oh well!

I agree not to put Hetfield and Mustaine in the same dream team, since Friedman is better lead and Hetfield better riff guitarist & vocalist, but Lombardo is a mandatory part of that team. And don’t get why you’ve chosen Newsted over Burton or even Trujillo.

I really don't see what Newsted adds to it. Anyone can do cookie monster vocals. Get someone who can actually harmonize with James and plays the bass as well as Rob and you'd have something. Also Mustaine is overrated.
To me Newsted became the soul of the band. I'd say it had more to do with the looks and the stage presence. I'm sick of the crab walk and drumming I could do better myself

Last edited:
Has anyone already compared the production of Senjutsu to that of 72 Seasons?

:ninja:
Yeah and Senjutsu’s is far better. Like, it’s a Steve/Kevin job, so it’s not gonna have a perfectly stunning sound, but the drums are heavy, the guitars are weighty, there are moments here and there that needed a bit more work (the muddy instrumental section in “Death of the Celts”), and maybe the keyboard is too loud. Otherwise it sounds good, it’s a stronger production than The Book of Souls and the vocals aren’t as dry as on The Final Frontier.

72 Seasons has guitars that are both slightly sharper and way more watery; the drum production is shite and that’s already enough to make it worse than Senjutsu. Somehow every production job from after St. Anger has been worse than the one before (DM has an atrocious vocal mix and the loudness war shit, but the guitars sound better than on the last two records).

Yeah and Senjutsu’s is far better. Like, it’s a Steve/Kevin job, so it’s not gonna have a perfectly stunning sound, but the drums are heavy, the guitars are weighty, there are moments here and there that needed a bit more work (the muddy instrumental section in “Death of the Celts”), and maybe the keyboard is too loud. Otherwise it sounds good, it’s a stronger production than The Book of Souls and the vocals aren’t as dry as on The Final Frontier.

72 Seasons has guitars that are both slightly sharper and way more watery; the drum production is shite and that’s already enough to make it worse than Senjutsu. Somehow every production job from after St. Anger has been worse than the one before (DM has an atrocious vocal mix and the loudness war shit, but the guitars sound better than on the last two records).

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one! :lol:

Back