Metallica

topsters2 (15).png

My Metallica rankings. Load was a 74 while Beyond Magnetic was a 75, but I really like Load despite its flaws and would probably give it closer to an 80 personally. Not quite sure if I like it less than Lulu, though. Both albums are close to each other.

Now to rank all the songs so that I can fulfill the request Wiz had that kicked this whole thing off... :innocent:

View attachment 8610

My Metallica rankings. Load was a 74 while Beyond Magnetic was a 75, but I really like Load despite its flaws and would probably give it closer to an 80 personally. Not quite sure if I like it less than Lulu, though. Both albums are close to each other.

Now to rank all the songs so that I can fulfill the request Wiz had that kicked this whole thing off... :innocent:
You have got to be kidding me.

I dont have a lot of effort to put into this right now, but I think Metallica has stayed big because theyre the best fast food thrash metal band of the 80's. They had pop sensibilities as far back as Kill Em All. They knew how to write the hook and a good chorus and pack in some good sing along lyrics all in a 3 minute and 30. You dont have to sit through sub par song after song just to get to the satisfying bits like a few other B Class thrash metal outfits I could name. Metallica delivered all the good sides of 80's thrash metal into a tight nifty package from Kill Em All to MoP.

And ya know what, they figured out that sometimes people like to wear flannels and feel misunderstood, and they rode that for a bit into 90's. Come the 2000's they were already titans of the genre. They didnt need another album. And thats where we're at now.

View attachment 8610

Give Kill Em All another listen if you can fit it in. Way too low on there.

Give Kill Em All another listen if you can fit it in. Way too low on there.
Well I did listen to it thrice. I'll be listening to the albums again in future, certainly (I'm considering reviewing them on the Metal Archives and I'd go through the discography again for that).

Besides finding the title track incredibly childish, I'm with you on your review of Disc One, @Diesel 11. If the album were just those first 6 tracks + Spit Out the Bone it would be a top 3 album for me. Unfortunately Disc 2 is mostly filler. There's nothing bad at all, it's just kind of samey and boring for me.

Finished my first ever Metallica ranking. Only difference between the list and my scores is that "The Thing That Should Not Be" is a 10 and "Fight Fire With Fire" is an 8. Both have grown on me a bit and the list reflects that. Otherwise it's straight from how I rated the songs in this thread.

1. ...And Justice For All (live '89)
2. For Whom The Bell Tolls
3. Disposable Heroes
4. Damage, Inc.
5. Master Of Puppets
6. Battery

7. Spit Out The Bone
8. Enter Sandman
9. One
10. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
11. Orion

12. Creeping Death
13. Fuel
14. The Unforgiven
15. Moth Into Flame
16. Leper Messiah
17. Atlas, Rise!
18. Until It Sleeps
19. Nothing Else Matters
20. Now That We're Dead
21. Sad But True
22. The Thing That Should Not Be
23. Wherever I May Roam
24. Hardwired
25. The God That Failed
26. Ride The Lightning
27. Hero Of The Day
28. The Call Of Ktulu
29. The Four Horsemen
30. ManUNkind
31. Ain't My Bitch
32. Iced Honey
33. Blackened
34. Halo On Fire
35. Junior Dad
36. Prince Charming
37. Fixxxer

38. Holier Than Thou
39. Dream No More
40. I Disappear
41. Brandenburg Gate
42. Cheat On Me

43. Here Comes Revenge
44. Don't Tread On Me
45. Lords Of Summer
46. Hate Train

47. Where The Wild Things Are
48. King Nothing
49. Fade To Black
50. Of Wolf And Man
51. Wasting My Hate
52. Through The Never
53. The Outlaw Torn
54. Fight Fire With Fire
55. Motorbreath
56. Bleeding Me
57. Pumping Blood
58. The View

59. Suicide & Redemption
60. Confusion
61. Cure
62. Low Man's Lyric
63. Frustration
64. Hell And Back
65. Hit The Lights
66. My Friend Of Misery
67. Trapped Under Ice
68. Thorn Within
69. Mistress Dread
70. That Was Just Your Life
71. —Human
72. No Leaf Clover

73. Ronnie
74. Harvester Of Sorrow
75. The Struggle Within
76. (Anesthesia)—Pulling Teeth
77. The Day That Never Comes
78. 2 X 4
79. Dragon
80. Dyers Eve
81. Am I Savage?
82. Just A Bullet Away
83. To Live Is To Die
84. The Frayed Ends Of Sanity

85. The Unforgiven III
86. The House That Jack Built
87. Escape
88. Phantom Lord
89. Poor Twisted Me
90. The Unforgiven II
91. The Memory Remains

92. The End Of The Line
93. Whiplash
94. Rebel Of Babylon
95. Better Than You
96. Little Dog
97. Murder One
98. Broken, Beat & Scarred
99. Slither
100. No Remorse
101. The Judas Kiss
102. Eye Of The Beholder
103. Jump In The Fire
104. All Nightmare Long
105. Devil's Dance
106. Carpe Diem Baby

107. Metal Militia
108. Attitude
109. Cyanide
110. Mama Said
111. Seek & Destroy
112. The Shortest Straw
113. My Apocalypse
114. Bad Seed
115. Frantic
116. The Unnamed Feeling
117. Sweet Amber
118. St. Anger
119. Invisible Kid
120. Dirty Window
121. Shoot Me Again
122. Some Kind Of Monster
123. My World
124. All Within My Hands
125. Purify

Hopefully that's the last bit of blasphemy you read in this thread for a while. Megadeth, on the other hand.... :D

Finished my first ever Metallica ranking. Only difference between the list and my scores is that "The Thing That Should Not Be" is a 10 and "Fight Fire With Fire" is an 8. Both have grown on me a bit and the list reflects that. Otherwise it's straight from how I rated the songs in this thread.

1. ...And Justice For All (live '89)
2. For Whom The Bell Tolls
3. Disposable Heroes
4. Damage, Inc.
5. Master Of Puppets
6. Battery

7. Spit Out The Bone
8. Enter Sandman
9. One
10. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
11. Orion

12. Creeping Death
13. Fuel
14. The Unforgiven
15. Moth Into Flame
16. Leper Messiah
17. Atlas, Rise!
18. Until It Sleeps
19. Nothing Else Matters
20. Now That We're Dead
21. Sad But True
22. The Thing That Should Not Be
23. Wherever I May Roam
24. Hardwired
25. The God That Failed
26. Ride The Lightning
27. Hero Of The Day
28. The Call Of Ktulu
29. The Four Horsemen
30. ManUNkind
31. Ain't My Bitch
32. Iced Honey
33. Blackened
34. Halo On Fire
35. Junior Dad
36. Prince Charming
37. Fixxxer

38. Holier Than Thou
39. Dream No More
40. I Disappear
41. Brandenburg Gate
42. Cheat On Me

43. Here Comes Revenge
44. Don't Tread On Me
45. Lords Of Summer
46. Hate Train

47. Where The Wild Things Are
48. King Nothing
49. Fade To Black
50. Of Wolf And Man
51. Wasting My Hate
52. Through The Never
53. The Outlaw Torn
54. Fight Fire With Fire
55. Motorbreath
56. Bleeding Me
57. Pumping Blood
58. The View

59. Suicide & Redemption
60. Confusion
61. Cure
62. Low Man's Lyric
63. Frustration
64. Hell And Back
65. Hit The Lights
66. My Friend Of Misery
67. Trapped Under Ice
68. Thorn Within
69. Mistress Dread
70. That Was Just Your Life
71. —Human
72. No Leaf Clover

73. Ronnie
74. Harvester Of Sorrow
75. The Struggle Within
76. (Anesthesia)—Pulling Teeth
77. The Day That Never Comes
78. 2 X 4
79. Dragon
80. Dyers Eve
81. Am I Savage?
82. Just A Bullet Away
83. To Live Is To Die
84. The Frayed Ends Of Sanity

85. The Unforgiven III
86. The House That Jack Built
87. Escape
88. Phantom Lord
89. Poor Twisted Me
90. The Unforgiven II
91. The Memory Remains

92. The End Of The Line
93. Whiplash
94. Rebel Of Babylon
95. Better Than You
96. Little Dog
97. Murder One
98. Broken, Beat & Scarred
99. Slither
100. No Remorse
101. The Judas Kiss
102. Eye Of The Beholder
103. Jump In The Fire
104. All Nightmare Long
105. Devil's Dance
106. Carpe Diem Baby

107. Metal Militia
108. Attitude
109. Cyanide
110. Mama Said
111. Seek & Destroy
112. The Shortest Straw
113. My Apocalypse
114. Bad Seed
115. Frantic
116. The Unnamed Feeling
117. Sweet Amber
118. St. Anger
119. Invisible Kid
120. Dirty Window
121. Shoot Me Again
122. Some Kind Of Monster
123. My World
124. All Within My Hands
125. Purify

Hopefully that's the last bit of blasphemy you read in this thread for a while. Megadeth, on the other hand.... :D
'Frustration' higher than 'Harvester of Sorrow', 'The Day That Never Comes' & 'The Shortest Straw'. Wow...

I'm sorry, I just can't understand how anyone can actually enjoy Lulu. The lyrics (yes, I've read them all) are a cringe fest, I would never be able to handle listening to the entire album.

I'm sorry, I just can't understand how anyone can actually enjoy Lulu. The lyrics (yes, I've read them all) are a cringe fest, I would never be able to handle listening to the entire album.
It's so fascinating and weird and somehow it works. It shouldn't, but it does.

@Diesel 11 English isn't my native language, so that may be it, but I really lack words how to describe your overall Metallica ratings.

@Collin I agree with most of your points: Death Magnetic = Yay, Hardwired = Nay!

@Number 6 I've also tried to listen to Lulu several times, but I just coulnd't force myself to listen to the whole thing. However, I believe there are people who like that album, or hold it in high regards. What puzzles me is the how can somebody make great differences between very similar albums? I mean, if you put those numbers in a graph, it would look like a mess.

@CriedWhenBrucieLeft One answer to your question: Marketing. Also having a No 1 hit also helps. I think their singles combo from Black album did most of the word: Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters. Those were album sellers and put Black album on pedestal. After you spend some time up top, it's pretty hard to ignore you. Also, I think @Jer had a good point in this thread about Metallica selling out. Not only they scooped the cream from metal audiences but Black and later Load/ReLoad made them go into rock territory more, expanding their audiences.

Considering Hardwired album, I was also disappointed. I ran it once again few days ago and it's a bit better, but to me, that's the "safest" album they ever made. And saying "They don't have to prove anybody anything" doesn't say a thing about album. If you're talking about band in general, then yes, you can use that phrase, but not to describe an album. If they don't have to prove anybody anything, than they just wouldn't publish at all.

The song Hardwired itself, I get. It was meant for younger audiences definitely, simplistic, put a curse word, make it fast - I don't like it that much, but it kinda makes sense. Atlas, Rise came after that I think, and I like that one. It has more Death Magnetic feel. There's a lot going on there and I usually don't mind complicating things but I have a feeling I would like it more if they cut a cymbal or two here or there or a certain riff. Or maybe change the speed. I don't know, its kinda stop-n-go at moment.

Moth into the Flame was the third single if I'm correct and I really like that one. Same can't be said for Now That We're Dead - after really cool intro, song just doesn't go anywhere. Now, when the album came out, most commonly spoken songs (in positive way) were Dream No More and Halo on Fire. Dream No More I didn't like at first, but really is now one of the highlights on the album, it really shows something doesn't have to be fast or complicated to make it heavy. If this was approach on Load/ReLoad maybe I would like them more. Then again, it's been years, if not a decade since I last heard those two albums, so maybe I need to listen them again.

And I don't get all the praise for Halo on Fire. First part is great, but... BUT! It's a 8 min Metallica song that starts slowly yet atmospheric, I can hear/feel things change around 6th minute and than... Nothing. I expected a fireworks a-la One or even Day that Never Comes but I got "Hello darkness, say goodbye". Goodbye James, you and your snoozefest at the end.

I don't remember 2nd disc that much. Only Murder One (but only because of the cool video, song is rubbish) and Spit Out the Bone which sounds like it warped from late 80's and I love it.

And that's the thing with this album. I don't remember a single critic or review said: "This sucks" because no matter which kind of Metallica period you like, you're gone find something here that's right up your alley: Early 80's, Justice, Black, 90's, Death Magnetic - it's all there, but in a bits. And that's kind of thumb down to me.

Back