Metallica

It's admitting to a fuck up, that's why they haven't done it and may never do it.

Lars got Jason's bass removed from the mix because he wanted his bass drums, which he had utilized much more proficiently on that album, to fully command the low range. It's the douchiest thing Lars has done in his career imo, not Napster or any other jazz.

When I first heard it, I thought it sounded amazingly great. After a few listens the bass wasn't as powerful as I thought it was though. Definitely an improvement though.

It's still only barely there.

To be honest you can't really expect them to do the bass justice in the mix anyway. It's not an AFJA-specific issue, it's just the most extreme offender.

Aside from Kill 'Em All and the Bob Rock produced albums, the bass never had a distinction in the band's sound.

Well they've got a lager coming out soon too, Enter Night Pilsner, which is apparently a 'hoppy 5.7% pilsner pale lager'. That sounds quite nice, I look forward to trying it

Sometimes I hear Jason loud and clear and sometimes I don't, depends on what part of the song it is.

Hardwired is a very high quality album with too many songs.

Death Magnetic has very high quality riffs/parts, but a severe lack of songwriting/editing.

Death Magnetic for me falls in the same category as St Anger ("unlistenable")
Hardwired is "not bad at all" category

Death Magnetic for me falls in the same category as St Anger ("unlistenable")
Hardwired is "not bad at all" category
I found Death Magnetic to be overbloated and mostly boring, with a few decent songs. It was very clearly a group of men who'd lost touch with what made them great trying to dig the old mojo back out.

That being said, my immediate response when I listened to St. Anger was, and remains, "nuke it from orbit".

Death Magnetic suffers from bad arrangements, terrible production, boring drumming and soloing. But it's still good because it has an abundance of great riffs. The band hadn't written that many great riffs in ages and they couldn't replicate it on Hardwired either. All Nightmare Long is a top-shelf Metallica song, a few others on the album could've gotten there with better polishing.

It was very clearly a group of men who'd lost touch with what made them great trying to dig the old mojo back out.

To me it sounds more like a great musician (James Hetfield) trying to carry a shitty band (no disrespect to Robert Trujillo) on his shoulders.

Back