Metallica

The beer gut is a funny thing since he only developed it well after he quit alcohol. I suppose being in your 50s tends to do that. That said, he was really slim in 2011 and 2012, and pretty slim even in 2013, so it's probably just a diet thing.

Spit is pretty good, although Kirk keeps fucking up the solo, as per usual. Lars also simplified the song down to the most bare he can, but that's normal so oh well. They've actually been playing it in the encore for the current leg, which means seven (!) new songs in the set each night. Combine that with rotating one of the new song slots and also rotating a few other tunes and I'll admit it: I'm impressed. This is what you get when you don't script and rehearse every single detail in your show.

He’s expressed regret over it a few times over the years.

It has increased my respect of Lars honestly. It takes a lot to admit your mistakes, especially at that level of infamy.

Lars Ulrich is now saying that the whole Napster thing wasn't a good PR move.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/la...s-maybe-not-the-smartest-pr-move-of-all-time/

I didn't know that he turned up to Napster HQ with a 60,000 page list of usernames of people who were sharing Metallica's music. Fair play to him for that. :lol:

One of them was one of my best friends, who had bought all the band's albums up to that point. He didn't buy anything from the band after that.

I had bought two Metallica records pre-Napster and zero afterwards. I used Napster to get b-sides, bootlegs, live versions I didn't knew existed.

Kirk Hammett said:
Back then, I was really into composing the entire solo, beginning to end. I wanted to have it at least 80 to 90 percent complete before going into the studio. I didn't improvise in the studio. I was young, and I didn't really have the development in my playing or the ability to show up with nothing and then put down 500 ideas. I can do that now because I'm so much more of a musician now; with "Hardwired" I had no idea what I was gonna play and I figured it out within 90 minutes.

Yes, it shows....

Anyone check out the new Master of Puppets deluxe edition? In addition to the expensive boxset, there's a 3CD version with demos for every track, some instrumental run-throughs of a couple covers, and a CD of live recordings. The demos are pretty fascinating, they range from full band with vocals to just Hetfield riffing. A couple things that stood out to me. The big one is that Sanitarium was going to be a big 9 minute epic with a longer instrumental section. Part of that instrumental was instead used on Orion. Also, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, but I'm still constantly impressed at how tight his rhythm guitar playing is. The demo for Damage Inc. is just a double tracked rhythm guitar with some singing. It is so insanely accurate that you can barely tell it's two guitars.

Live stuff is decent although the sound quality varies. I guess all these shows are complete in the box set, but the "highlights" give the illusion of one complete concert. That's good enough for me and, given the quality, I'm not going to be rushing out to hear the individual concerts. It's cool hearing them so young and hungry though. There's a ton of sloppiness, but something about it is charming.

I haven't heard it, but I will make a point of checking it out! The previous two were great.

Also, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, but I'm still constantly impressed at how tight his rhythm guitar playing is. The demo for Damage Inc. is just a double tracked rhythm guitar with some singing. It is so insanely accurate that you can barely tell it's two guitars.

Honestly, if James Hetfield won the "Best Guitarist" Survivor - I'd be fine with that.

Sanitarium was going to be a big 9 minute epic with a longer instrumental section. Part of that instrumental was instead used on Orion.
Ouch. :facepalm:
epic-fail.jpg

Metallica's co-manager Peter Mensch about the ludicrous increase in ticket prices:

"Demand went through the roof and ticket prices soon followed. We hadn't made a record in years. This is just what we do — we play in front of our fans. Rock bands have always had to bring it to the fans. We did some tests in the last couple of years. We realized the top price for a METALLICA ticket could be much higher than it used to be, and we charged it — and there was no audience pushback on it... The ticket price thing has changed everything."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-manager-explains-how-band-tripled-ticket-prices/

Back