Metallica

Honestly, Hetfield could've used some autotune on Death Magnetic.
There's a fair bit of it, just like there's been on just about everything they've put out since Garage Inc. (which also had some, S&M had a ton, St. Anger being "raw" didn't, but on DM even the demos had the occasional use of autotune). It is pretty noticeable in the chorus to Lux Aeterna to the point it bothers me a little, since they could've just made the line lower to avoid having to tune it. Reminds me of S&M2 where they definitely overused it somewhat, entire passages would just be "fixed" in post.

Worked out to be $600 USD for a 2 day pass in LA,
It just goes to show how massive a band like Metallica are and people basically willing to pay anything to see them, the show is almost sold out already, yep even the 5,000 snake pit tickets gonners

It just goes to show how massive a band like Metallica are and people basically willing to pay anything to see them, the show is almost sold out already, yep even the 5,000 snake pit tickets gonners
170$ for Gothenburg. Hotel prices skyrocketed within half an hour though, but I managed to secure a booking at a fairly good price.

There's a fair bit of it, just like there's been on just about everything they've put out since Garage Inc. (which also had some, S&M had a ton, St. Anger being "raw" didn't, but on DM even the demos had the occasional use of autotune). It is pretty noticeable in the chorus to Lux Aeterna to the point it bothers me a little, since they could've just made the line lower to avoid having to tune it. Reminds me of S&M2 where they definitely overused it somewhat, entire passages would just be "fixed" in post.

Maiden have also used it, haven't they?

Think I'm probably going to each of the weekends that I won't need a hotel. Going with a friend who lives in STL to that weekend next year. Have family in Detroit, so I'll hit that one. Chicago, well, I'm here. May be able to make the opening American weekend at MetLife as I've got a place to stay in Manhattan... but that's a trek.

A guy on YouTube posted his reaction to the new tune and apparently thinks Hetfield's using autotune on his vocals. Unfortunately, I can't speak French (so I let the funky music do the talking) and can't understand his video. I can't make out any evidence of Autotune on the song, but I'm now curious if anyone else does? I've heard that the S&M tracks were Autotuned, never heard of Hetfield using it for studio tracks though.

For the French-speakers:

I'm not trying to make any deal out of it and I don't really care if it's true, it just piqued my interest and I'm wondering if this guy's onto something or talking crap.

He doesn't speak that much of the Autotune. He mentions it in the start and then towards the end he says something like James' voice is too fit to be true. Personally no idea, it's the first time I hear about this thing, I guess it's some kind of software but other that that I don't have an opinion if James is using it.
That guy, as many of you, admits that the whole industry does, so I guess the answer is yes.

He generally "doesn't not like the song", but definitely not the solo, especially its final sequence. Funnily enough he does mention this posh talk we had yesterday and describes it as "thrash for millionaires" (obviously, with 10,000$ the handshake).

I think he did a video for Senjutsu back in the day too.

I don't know how to feel about it, maybe pity for those fans and even Metallica.

In the late 80's and early 90's, CD's cost more than vinyl. Record labels were pushing artists to cram as many tracks on an album as they could to push the CD format as superior (more songs = better album in record label logic). This is why FOTD has so much filler.
This is probably true, but I can't see Maiden listening to a record label. I don't think they ever did. They started wirting longer albums with their first album of the 90's (the only exception is the VXI album). Yeah, Steve thoguht that they should have cutted one or two songs from FOTD (''The Apparition'', ''Chains Of Misery''), but TXF album was with 11 songs (and they wrote 14 songs, something very unusual for them). And the power ballad from 1992 is not that different from the 1990 title track. Although - iirc, some songs from the Killers album were added as a filler.

Tacking an additional 25-30% onto the base ticket price as "service fees"? I knew Ticketmaster did their share of gouging, but I don't ever remember it being quite this bad. Sorry, but I'm not going to pay $300/person for the first section on the far side of the arena, or $200/person for nosebleeds. Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:
Listened to Death Magnetic over the last couple of commutes to work. It's not great is it? Hardwired is a far better album in that most of the songs, while they might not be the best tracks in Metallica's canon are at least arranged like songs. Death Magentic bar a few tracks, is really just a load of riffs all slapped together and "hope for the best". Surprised it's produced by Rubin as it's nearly the antithesis of his usual no fluff style.

Listened to Death Magnetic over the last couple of commutes to work. It's not great is it? Hardwired is a far better album in that most of the songs, while they might not be the best tracks in Metallica's canon are at least arranged like songs. Death Magentic bar a few tracks, is really just a load of riffs all slapped together and "hope for the best". Surprised it's produced by Rubin as it's nearly the antithesis of his usual no fluff style.

I have not listened to the album in ages. I remember some very good riffs but too many overlong songs. I might revisit it on Spotify later.

Back