Metallica

Once I got through, everything was sold out but the absolute nosebleeds (in a stadium where those are notoriously bad) and the $650 tickets close to the field.
Jesus. I might be willing to go as high as $250 for a two-show ticket, but not for shit seats. I guess I'll see what's left when the Ticketmaster presale starts tomorrow, since I'm not cool enough to qualify for the earlier presales...

Hmm, to me you perfectly fit 'play the classics' crowd :D

I saw them only once, Abu Dhabi* in 2011, it was a no album tour concert and what they played was just this: Classics! From all the setlist there were just 2 songs I didn't know (Fuel, All Nightmare Long) meaning that almost everything they played was Black Album or before. Play Classics! is good in the case of Metallica :D
(In all fairness I now like post St. Anger material, but at that time I hadn't discovered yet)

Take a look, a really DREAM setlist (everything is great except Fuel)
  1. Creeping Death
  2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
  3. Fuel
  4. Ride the Lightning
  5. Fade to Black
  6. Cyanide
  7. The Memory Remains
  8. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
  9. Sad but True
  10. All Nightmare Long
  11. One
  12. Master of Puppets
  13. Blackened
  14. Nothing Else Matters
  15. Enter Sandman /Encore:
  16. Am I Evil?
    (Diamond Head cover) (Half)
  17. Motorbreath
  18. Seek & Destroy

*I have no recollection of a ridiculously high price I don't think that was more than 200$ maybe even less.

I saw them only once, Abu Dhabi* in 2011, it was a no album tour concert and what they played was just this: Classics! From all the setlist there were just 2 songs I didn't know (Fuel, All Nightmare Long) meaning that almost everything they played was Black Album or before. Play Classics! is good in the case of Metallica :D
(In all fairness I now like post St. Anger material, but at that time I hadn't discovered yet)

Take a look, a really DREAM setlist (everything is great except Fuel)
  1. Creeping Death
  2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
  3. Fuel
  4. Ride the Lightning
  5. Fade to Black
  6. Cyanide
  7. The Memory Remains
  8. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
  9. Sad but True
  10. All Nightmare Long
  11. One
  12. Master of Puppets
  13. Blackened
  14. Nothing Else Matters
  15. Enter Sandman /Encore:
  16. Am I Evil?
    (Diamond Head cover) (Half)
  17. Motorbreath
  18. Seek & Destroy

*I have no recollection of a ridiculously high price I don't think that was more than 200$ maybe even less.

Here’s the setlist from when I saw them back in 1999 (Garage Remains the Same Tour):

Except albums have been in the 77 min ballpark since the 90s when about 4 people would have bought the LP.
In the late 80's and early 90's, CD's cost more than vinyl. Record labels were pushing artists to cram as many tracks on an album as they could to push the CD format as superior (more songs = better album in record label logic). This is why FOTD has so much filler.

Yeap same here, it was a fantastic concert, great sound, staging*, James was great! It beats easily more than half the Maiden concerts I've been. I would love to see them again -but god, not for 500$.

EDIT: I like so much more Metallica's staging production approach than Maiden's, more modern and relative.

In the late 80's and early 90's, CD's cost more than vinyl. Record labels were pushing artists to cram as many tracks on an album as they could to push the CD format as superior (more songs = better album in record label logic). This is why FOTD has so much filler.

Fair point.

I mean, the cheapest two day tickets here are 129 euros and the ones that I'm getting are 212 euros. Reasonable prices if you ask me. Tickets for both days of Maiden in Tampere were 200e combined, so there's no difference really.

I would argue that Fear of the Dark also has so much filler because the band had lost their mojo back then. :p

Reactions: Jer
600$ to see them, 1500$ AirBnB + expenses for 3 days, 10000$ to greet the whole lot, 500$ round trip travelling & fuel. That's the price of a car in some countries.

That if you are single. Imagine having a wife and kids who also want to shake Metallica's hands, something to eat, something to buy, man we are talking apartment here! :D

Posh traveller alert!

The former is posh, the latter is insane! :lol:

You need to see the context. I wouldn't give 600$ for 2 concerts 3 days apart from each other in the first place. But if I did, I wouldn't eat apples and stay in a shitty hotel all day. That would make me feel miserable.

Metallica poshes fans to go insane.

A guy on YouTube posted his reaction to the new tune and apparently thinks Hetfield's using autotune on his vocals. Unfortunately, I can't speak French (so I let the funky music do the talking) and can't understand his video. I can't make out any evidence of Autotune on the song, but I'm now curious if anyone else does? I've heard that the S&M tracks were Autotuned, never heard of Hetfield using it for studio tracks though.

For the French-speakers:

I'm not trying to make any deal out of it and I don't really care if it's true, it just piqued my interest and I'm wondering if this guy's onto something or talking crap.

Even in metal most bands these days are using autotune or at the very least pitch correction. I'm not sure why that person needs to point it out in Hetfield's case.

Back