Metallica

I'm gonna build a wall around Meaningless Polls and make Diesel pay for it!
Unfortunately, it’s the hard-working mainstream posters that want that sweet content from the Meaningless Polls forum who have to pay for it through extra navigation clicks. Sad!

Obviously Maiden's songs are often better but Metallica utilizes their catalog quite well in my opinion.

About the setlist rotation:
The encore opener is always either Battery, FFWF, Spit Out the Bone or Blackened. These rotate all the time
10th song of the show is usually something from Kill em all. Most likely Hit the Lights, Whiplash or Motorbreath
The 4th song is likely either something from Black Album or Ride the Lightning(the song). Could also be a random rarity/less played song
The 9th song rotates between Halo on Fire and Sanitarium
The Unforgiven used to rotate with Fade to Black. (Fade was dropped recently so now it's just Unforgiven)
Songs 7 and 11 are a Reload single and Creeping Death. These switch places depending on whether they play Fuel or Memory. They may also play something from Hardwired instead.

These are the main things that came to mind, but it's complicated and there are a lot more.

I was wondering if their rotation pattern had a rhyme to it. I really wish Fade to Black was a permanent setlist fixture, but I understand the want to rotate it

If there's something that will never decline its Metallica's ticket sales. They'll sell out arenas and stadia as long as the juggernaut keeps ploughing on no matter what turgid sludge they release - if anything at all.

Their sales are impressive, but there are still plenty of tickets available for Twickenham...

Metallica's issue is that they know full well fans would still fall over their feet to buy tickets that cost £100, so that's exactly what they do. Then they knock it up even more to be even more because it worked the first time round. I love Metallica but I couldn't bring myself to pay £140 for Manchester

The thing is, with Maiden you know what you'll get. Metallica is quite inventive with the setlist, in comparison. You know there's going to be at least 45 minutes of new music, if not more, if Maiden is on the album tour. You basically know what's going to happen on the theme/history tour. Some people will get bored, and together with the inflated ticket prices, decide now's not the time.

I did not go to History pt3 tour, because the Maiden England setlist was half-arsed, as expected, the stage show lousy, as expected, and the performance reserved, as expected. Frankly I would not know what Metallica would do on such night. There would be a chance of Shortest Straw, Frayed Ends, Disposable Heroes, etc...even if it was a Lulu-promoting tour.

Especially if your target date is down the list, and you have enough shows prior that'll end up on YT and setlist.fm...yup, after a few dates, 0 chance of Still Life, 0 chance of Infinite Dreams. And the highlight, SSOASS performance, reminded me of the moments when my old walkman's batteries started dying down or when I put a 45rpm single on the deck but the switch is on 33. Sorry, I'll pass.

Metallica does this in a smart way. There's no problem if Lars (or anyone else) fucked up something they have tons of alternatives. They actually rehearse a lot, as a full band, before the shows.

Maiden is extremely lazy in this regard.

Metallica does this in a smart way. There's no problem if Lars (or anyone else) fucked up something they have tons of alternatives. They actually rehearse a lot, as a full band, before the shows.

And yet their playing is much tighter than Metallica's! :D

Let's not forget that someone lost the ability to count back in 2010. Paschendale dropped.

:lol:

That was definitely one of Nicko's worst examples of nearly turning into Lars Ulrich! I have not forgiven him because I should have witnessed Paschendale live twice on that tour in 2010 and ended up getting Dance of Death instead.

Maybe they don't approach their instruments in spare time. I know I was bedazzled at a Lars interview where he talked drums as an instrument, he obviously isn't into it much. And seeing Kirk's home on video, you'd think it's a movie director house and not Metallica's lead guitar guy's den.

The thing is, with Maiden you know what you'll get. Metallica is quite inventive with the setlist, in comparison. You know there's going to be at least 45 minutes of new music, if not more, if Maiden is on the album tour. You basically know what's going to happen on the theme/history tour. Some people will get bored, and together with the inflated ticket prices, decide now's not the time.

I did not go to History pt3 tour, because the Maiden England setlist was half-arsed, as expected, the stage show lousy, as expected, and the performance reserved, as expected. Frankly I would not know what Metallica would do on such night. There would be a chance of Shortest Straw, Frayed Ends, Disposable Heroes, etc...even if it was a Lulu-promoting tour.

Especially if your target date is down the list, and you have enough shows prior that'll end up on YT and setlist.fm...yup, after a few dates, 0 chance of Still Life, 0 chance of Infinite Dreams. And the highlight, SSOASS performance, reminded me of the moments when my old walkman's batteries started dying down or when I put a 45rpm single on the deck but the switch is on 33. Sorry, I'll pass.

I've been to every tour since 1993 (except VXI*) and on every tour they have played at least one track that I hadn't heard before. You'ld have to have been extremely lucky to have gone to every Metallica tour in the same period and heard something for the first time at every one of those tours.

*and if I'd gone to a VXI gig then I'd still have heard 7 tracks that I'd never heard before, 5 of which I will never again.

Also, if you're missing gigs because you can't keep off youtube and setlist.fm then that's on you.

Anyways, turning ten pages back...

And Justice for All > Ride the Lightning > Master > Reload (I just wish they threw out Slither) > > Death Magnetic > Kill 'Em All > Load > Hardwired (would have been higher were it a single album with 2/3rds of the songs) > The Black Album

That should get the blood boiling.

Back