Metallica

I've started now with DM, as I said. So far so dull. Just sounds like standard Metallica fare. James is saying stuff that isn't that interesting & the music is trundling along in so-so fashion. With any normal band I might have looked forward to a stellar solo, but Metallica have Kirk, so that's out too.

Isn't the Guitar Hero version of Death Magnetic the fan-preferred way of listening to that album? I was under the impression that it was indeed the case...
If you don't like the album production, try live versions of the songs. After that move to Hardwired.
I'm listening to this "remastered from the unmastered Guitar Hero III mix" version on YouTube.

I don't think it sucks but it's definitely weak. "Am I Savage?" is also in that category.

Ah, now I like "Am I Savage?", I'd put the title track in that category instead. Also, that song was completely ruined for me once I heard Andrea Boccarusso's (the guy who was playing Metallica and Megadeth songs at the same time in that video I posted) version.

Did I imagine it or did someone here say "Hardwired" was a last minute addition to the album? If not, it certainly sounds like it. I enjoyed the hell out of it when it was first released, but it didn't take long for the fun to wear off. Now when I listen to the album I completely skip it and start with "Atlas, Rise!".

Did I imagine it or did someone here say "Hardwired" was a last minute addition to the album? If not, it certainly sounds like it. I enjoyed the hell out of it when it was first released, but it didn't take long for the fun to wear off. Now when I listen to the album I completely skip it and start with "Atlas, Rise!".
Yeah, it was. I'm happy they added it.

So I went through and watch all of the music videos released for Hardwired.... My thoughts:

1. Hardwired - 6/10
It's just a revolving vid of the band performing the song, but it's decent enough.

2. Atlas, Rise! - 5/10
Kinda cool seeing the band working together, but it gets a little long-winded.

3. Now That We're Dead - 6/10
Filmography is pretty excellent, the band is performing the song and there's some decent stuff but not much else.

4. Moth Into Flame - 8/10
This is yet another band performance vid, but I liked it a lot more than the others. Playing with among all the lights brings up the atmosphere.

5. Dream No More - 7/10
Fairly cool vid with a blank human walking amidst the world. No Cthulhu though, sad jams.

6. Halo On Fire - 6/10
Firstly, the band playing here ruins a lot of the mood, and secondly... that underground fighting thing sort of felt like a let down. The beginning of the vid was decent otherwise (seemed to be about domestic abuse) but it led to absolutely zero payoff.

7. Confusion - 8/10
Quite a fascinating video about a woman struggling with PTSD. Filmography was again excellent and there were some nice twists and turns on display.

8. ManUNkind - 9/10
I really liked this one. It's a Mayhem-inspired performance and that black metal act doing a Metallica song was quite an interesting combo. May actually make me appreciate the song more.

9. Here Comes Revenge - 9/10
Whew, this was pretty great and pretty fucking creepy too. Humanoid animals getting revenge on a monster, what's not to like?

10. Am I Savage? - 7/10
Pretty decent video about a guy either going insane or suffering from a split personality disorder. Kinda interesting given that the actual song is about werewolves.

11. Murder One - 7/10
Loved the animation, actually content wasn't the absolute best, but I'm treating this video and the song itself as more of a novelty than anything else, so on that basis it's kinda nice.

12. Spit Out The Bone - 8/10
The cheese factor runs high with this one, but that makes it an enjoyable watch. Fun times, long live machine.

Meanwhile I didn't even know there were videos for every song.
tenor.gif

Collin's thoughts on Hardwired:

The album is a disappointment, there are some good songs, there are bad songs, there are mostly meh songs. Definitely after listening to Death Magnetic the content is just not there. The bar was set high and they fell really short. I was glad though I got to see some of the songs live, especially 'Confusion'. (Saw the tour twice) Some of them are better live like 'Atlas 'and 'Now That We're Dead'. While 'Halo' and the title track just don't work at all, the latter being a jumbled mess that makes no sense. History will not look fondly on this album, but it will still be better than the Load & Reload albums. Of course it's better than St. Anger too!

While I'm here I'm going to say this. Why does everyone like 'Halo On Fire'? It's a total snoozefest live and there is nothing exciting about it. Someone please explain.

Here's how I would rank the songs. (Best to worst)
Great:
Confusion
Here Comes Revenge
Atlas, Rise!

Good:
Spit Out The Bone
Now That We're Dead

Meh:

Moth Into Flame
Dream No More
ManUNkind
Hardwired