Metallica

Okay, Hardwired... is pretty awesome. I have a feeling it’ll be something like TBOS - a modern day classic. It’s Metallica knowing that they’ve nothing to prove but want to make at the very least a good and enjoyable album. They succeeded as far as I’m concerned.

Hardwired and Death Magnetic are pretty much interchangeable to me.

Hardwired and TBOS are similar in some ways. Both contain some of the best songs of their respective careers and everything else is just average. Not bad, just average. I'd give TBOS the edge though, because nothing on that album is as bad as "Murder One".

It’s Metallica knowing that they’ve nothing to prove but want to make at the very least a good and enjoyable album.
What I meant more or less with this is that they're playing to their strengths. They'll never release another Master Of Puppets, but they're using what they can do to craft a great record. There are a lot of throwbacks to their classic albums, it's heavier than basically every since at least The Black Album, and it also feels more inspired. It's a modern Metallica record rooted in the old stuff, which I think is pretty awesome because it has the vibe of both intertwined. Of course others could say that makes it unoriginal, but all I want from them is a good album and I think they really got it here. They also seem like they're just simply having a lot of fun with it too, which shows through in almost every song. All in all, it isn't perfect, but I'm really digging Hardwired.... It also gets better with more listens, so that's a definite plus.

The watery production mars DM's chance to showcase its heaviness. Hardwired... is much tighter and while the influences are a bit lighter, the final product is heavy as fuck.

Back