Metallica

21/365
Ridetl.png

Ride The Lightning - Metallica

Fight Fire With Fire - I really like the acoustic intro a wonderful little piece of music which I'm sure stumped fans on their initial listen. Once the peaceful intro is done this song kicks into high gear with full on speed and thrashing. I'm not a fan of the vocal delivery on this track but the musicianship is top notch. - 7/10

Ride The Lightning - Seamlessly transitioning from the previous song the title track has much better vocals from James, although still not on par with his vocals he does in the next two songs. The midsection where the main riff vanishes for a little bit is a nice touch before the solo and it helps stop the song from being overly repetitive. Overall I can say my initial thoughts from previous previews of the song are quite wrong a strong song although it doesn't quite reach the brilliance of the next two songs. 8/10

For Whom The Bell Tolls - A perfect song, brutal riffs, not too many vocals throughout but those that are in it outright are amazing. A masterpiece - 10/10

Fade To Black - Coming off for whom the bell tolls into Fade to black is a brilliant transition and honestly this is the only Metallica song that can properly follow it up aside from maybe One. Fade to Black ends side 1 with an amazing acoustic intro into heartfelt lyrics of sorrow ending with a killer solo. Honestly the song feels short. - 10/10

Trapped Under Ice - Beautiful and fast guitar work. Strong song I honestly think this song suits Fight Fire With Fire's acoustic intro more, although no use speculating on what could of been. - 8/10

Escape - Not your typical Metallica song, but I like it overall. I like the sirens in it it adds a nice touch - 7.5/10

Creeping Death - Heavy drums introduce the penultimate track, a heavy riff soon follows definitely a reason this song is such a popular track, great vocals from James and amazing instrumentation - 9/10

The Call of Ktulu - A calming and almost soothing introduction opens up the final instrumental track. The track quickly kicks off into a more rock focused tune. I personally am not a huge fan of instrumentals, a lot of them I feel need to be part of a larger song and used as an instrumental outro. However I don't quite feel that is the case with Call of Ktulu, although I do miss vocals of some sort. Overall I can appreciate the artistry shown but it just doesn't mesh with what I like from rock music. - 7.5/10

Overall 84%

Don’t understand that either. It’s only 77 minutes, it can fit on one disc. Load was 78 minutes and one disc.
79, really. The full running time of a CD. They claimed that the second disc in Hardwired... was due to the sound quality, part of which would supposedly be lost if the CD was too long, but, as far as I'm concerned, that is only true for vinyl records.

So I finally listened to Lulu...and it was awkward. Painfullly cringeworthy. The first half of the album was not bad actually, but the second half was a real shitfest. Especially Frustration and Dragon sounded incredibly cringy. 70 year old guy repeating "spermless like a girl" over and over.

4/10. I might return to it just for laughs.

Back