Metallica

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say grading system is pointless.
I suggest thumb/toe ups and downs.
But seriously, 4-s and 5-s on Death Magnetic while you have 9-s and 10-s on Load and Reload?!
Luckily, I don't care about Hardwired that much, so I guess my days of bedazzlement in this thread are over.

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say grading system is pointless.
Agreed. Rating, say, Death Magnetic and Reload songs (the same goes for: TNOTB/AMOLAD; Sin After Sin/Painkiller; Awake/ADTOE; Walls of Jericho/Gambling With The Devil; The Book of Taliesyn/Now What?!; Operation: Mindcrime/ Hear in the Bow Frontier...the list goes on) at the same time is pointless because the bands who have created them have evolved so much -in terms of line-up sometimes, but especially as musicians, persons and professionals of the music industry- that they are just different bands altogether.
Besides, what makes this system pointless is that we appreciate songs in absolute value (as though we were bound to have ONE shot at expressing our opinions about them)...but the fact it translates into marks renders comparisons inevitable...though meaningless.

[Constitutional peasant mode On] If I went round saying "Where the Wild Things Are" is better than "Fight Fire With Fire", they'd put me away![Constitutional peasant mode Off]. And yet, as of now, I prefer the former to the latter. ;)

Last edited:
Okay but like... this is my opinion and you don’t have to agree with it. “Prince Charming” makes me feel happy, and while that’s not necessarily proof that something is good, it helps out. I really, really like that song. “All Nightmare Long” just feels like Metallica going through the motions. You could probably say the same for “Prince Charming”, but personally I like it way more.

It's a matter of taste of course, but it'd be a very, very unpopular opinion no matter where you go. All Nightmare Long is held in very high esteem among Metallica fans and Prince Charming is pretty much down in the gutter in that regard.

'All Nightmare Long' to me is like a more improved version of 'Disposable Heroes'. It's chaotic, the riffs are massive too! The chorus is absolutely devastating.

Back