Metallica to enter studio in March or April

Re: Metallica writing material for new album

portermoresby said:
It takes them a while to start writing new stuff, but they also tour a LOT. I think that's the main reason behind the long gaps between albums. I'd be happy if they came up with a record that equals DM. I really like that record.

The band does tour...alot.  The next album I'm sure will be even better than DM.

portermoresby said:
It takes them a while to start writing new stuff, but they also tour a LOT. I think that's the main reason behind the long gaps between albums. I'd be happy if they came up with a record that equals DM. I really like that record.
I agree, but with actual care given to production value.

Genghis Khan said:
I agree, but with actual care given to production value.

This, and also the mix should be quieter.  The difference in volume to the rest of my songs is astounding; I actually have to turn down the volume on my ipod when a DM song comes up on shuffle, and turn it up again when the song's over.

Death Magnetic is on the same class with the first four albums for me. It's just a masterpiece but the bad production worsened it's quality. I hope next album will be in the same class.

Masterpieces : Kill'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, Death Magnetic
Worth Listening : Metallica
Average : ReLoad
Bad : Load
Terrible : St. Anger

Masterpieces : Master Of Puppets
Very Good : Ride The Lightning, Metallica
Good : Kill'em All, AJFA
Bad : Load, Reload, Death Magnetic
WOPS (Worst Piece Of Shit Ever) : St. Anger.

Masterpieces: Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning
Very good: Kill 'Em All, ...And Justice for All
Good: Death Magnetic, Metallica
Bad: Load, Reload
Terrible: St. Anger

IMO:

Masterpieces: ...And Justice For All, Master Of Puppets
Very good: Death Magnetic, Ride The Lightning
Good: Kill 'Em All, Metallica, Load & Reload (with some exceptions)
Ghastly, to say the least: St. Anger

The only thing that really bothers me about DM is the sound of drums: they're too high in the mix. Aside from that, I think it just needs a bit of trimming (in TDTNC and S&R) but overall it was a huge surprise for me, and it's gotten even better in time.

Masterpieces: Ride the Lightning
Very Good: Master of Puppets
Good: AJFA, Black Album, Kill 'Em All, some of Load
Bad: Reload, Death Magnetic
Terrible: St. Anger

Masterpieces: RTL, MOP, ...AJFA
Good: Metallica, Death Magnetic
Bad: Reload
Terrible: Load, St.Anger

not for me. I'm gonna skip this one just like the last 2.

^ i gave up on them around Reload. Musically, Death Magnetic is a good metal album. However, i can't stand that band for what they are. A bunch of people that cut their hair, re-invented their visual style and changed their music when they thought that metal is going to die.

They've played Lollapalooza, for god's sake  :down:

That's a generic rock festival. On the other hand, acts such as Kanye West do Lollapalooza  :D

Zare said:
That's a generic rock festival.

Maybe you'd call the following generic but just in case:
According to wiki
---
the programme is noted for its wide variety of alternative music, spanning styles such as rock, pop, electronic, dance, hip-hop, punk and heavy metal.
---
I was there and -until Maiden started- I felt quite out of place to be honest. Have a chunk at the 2010 line-up.

Zare said:
On the other hand, acts such as Kanye West do Lollapalooza  :D

---
Wiki: Lollapalooza is an annual music festival featuring popular heavy metal, alternative rock, hip hop, and punk rock bands, dance and comedy performances, and craft booths. It has also provided a platform for non-profit and political groups.
---

Musically not that different, biggest difference is the comedy, craft and political stuff.

We're going too far off-topic. Just take a look at performers throughout the years at those two festivals.

Might be off-topic indeed, but I'll answer once more (in this topic).

I stick to my point: Just like Metallica (did in the past) I think Maiden -from time to time- tries to appeal to a broader audience (which isn't necessary imo). Another example of that is the selection of an edited version of Coming Home, as a radio single. See my post about that here.

Back