Metal with female vocals

I think you've touched on a good point there, Sixes, it's good to see some frontwomen from a completely different mould.

Yep, I think so too. There's a lot of "casting" going on for female symphonic metal singers. They pretty much all have to look like a cross between Brünnhilde and a Disney Princess. It's nice to see some, excuse the wording, REAL frontwoman in metal as well...Real as in "they are just themselves"

I only really like female vocals in symphonic/gothic/power metal. Doesn't matter to me how they look like. Female vocals in pure heavy metal don't work for me (like Doro).

Yep, I think so too. There's a lot of "casting" going on for female symphonic metal singers. They pretty much all have to look like a cross between Brünnhilde and a Disney Princess. It's nice to see some, excuse the wording, REAL frontwoman in metal as well...Real as in "they are just themselves"

Well, I don't think I'm quite as sceptical as that. There's some good music, good musicians, good songwriting, and amazing frontwomen...but it looks like there's a particular formula that the industry is concentrating on.

I prefer last 2 albums, I like the setlist :p
Facade of Reality and Seif al Din were by far some of their most popular songs. It's like they left off Hallowed Be Thy Name or Phantom of the Opera.
But this comes from a fan who followed them intensely in their first 6 years. I thought that this period deserved better representation on a DVD that is called Retrospect.

Already a new song with Alissa:
Mediocre song, but Alissa sounds almost the same as Angela. If no one told me, I wouldn't have noticed a change.

I like her sound a bit less than Angela (and I hear she sounds a little bit different, it's not easy to describe it, but I'd say Alissa sounds more guttery).
I really like the song. Catchy mid-tempo banger. Great guitar melodies (that stay in my head afterwards) and solos.

Yep, I'd also say Alissa's voice is a bit deeper and and as you said "guttery". And the song is pretty cool. They have great catchy songs on every album, but only Rise Of The Tyrant is great from start to finish.

Found these awesome videos while looking for links for the Short Song Survivor:

My God, am I excited for new Nightwish. Tarja sounds amazing on the records, but man, Floor sounds so much better in concert. So much more confidence and clarity. It also helps that she speaks better English than Tarja.

Listening to the new DVD and Floor made me forget about Tarja and Annette completely. Masterful performance. They should re-record some of the old songs or do a DVD with more older songs. One thing I noticed is that Floor's voice goes much better with Marco's than her predecessors. Tarja could probably reach higher notes, but Floor has 1000 times more power in her voice.

Also,
tumblr_mib79lmJXI1qimi3zo1_500.gif
:hello:

Not that knowledgeable about Nightwish, but based on these videos, my impression is that Tarja sounds like a Broadway singer, whereas Floor (what kind if name is that??) sounds more like a rock singer. Advantage: Floor.

Both sing falsetto, at least on these clips, whereas the singer on the one Nightwish song I know ("Amaranth") has a more natural vocal. Was that Floor or someone else? I liked that more.

Not that knowledgeable about Nightwish, but based on these videos, my impression is that Tarja sounds like a Broadway singer, whereas Floor (what kind if name is that??) sounds more like a rock singer. Advantage: Floor.

Both sing falsetto, at least on these clips, whereas the singer on the one Nightwish song I know ("Amaranth") has a more natural vocal. Was that Floor or someone else? I liked that more.

It's a Dutch name!

That would be Annette. She definitely had the most natural voice, but her range and performances were very weak. That said, the first album they recorded with her is probably my favorite Nightwish album, even though she is my least favorite singer of the three. Tarja is a trained opera singer and she sings operatically on every single song. Floor is also trained in operatics, though probably not as studied as Tarja. However, she also embraces every aspect of her voice and I find that extremely appealing and talented. She does many different things with her voice, i.e. rock, opera, grunts, wails, screams, whispers, etc.

Message from Epica's Coen Janssen:

You've all probably got the message by now but just to be sure: Epica is not going to come over to USA and Canada this October since Machine Head decided to cancel the tour at the last moment. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this. Let's hope the opportunity to rock with our North American friends (by which I mean our fans) presents itself as soon as possible!!

On the brighter side; there are now more burgers and beers left for you guys! So get them while you can cause I will be there someday!!

Check Machine Head's statement to know how to get refunds.

Cheers C

Alas, earwax.

I am currently hooked on Delain after seeing them open for Sonata Arctica, since this thread does need some discussion. On album, they are a little more regular metal, but they rock pretty hard in concert.

Back