Metal Essentials I: Grandfathers of Metal (1970 - 1975) - FINAL ROUND - Zeppelin vs Sabbath

vote for your FAVORITE song in each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In Rock

I prefer Tull and Purple to Zeppelin over all and although In Rock has nothing as boring as Misty Mountain Hop, IV just shades it.

I, uhm...misread the voting criteria and missed the "LEAST" in there, so I voted for In Rock which is my favourite album out of these three.

Oops.

And with In Rock out of the game, we reach our final four! The first of two pairings presents the reluctant prog rockers Jethro Tull against the mighty Sabbath. There's a clear underdog here, can Tull pull it off?

War Pigs vs Aqualung
Paranoid vs Cross Eyed Mary
Planet Caravan vs Mother Goose
Iron Man
vs My God
Electric Funeral vs Hymn 43
Hand of Doom/Rat Salad vs Locomotive Breath
Fairies Wear Boots vs Wind Up

"War Pigs" and "Aqualung" are two of my favourite songs of all time, hands down, and it's simply impossible for me to choose between them. For the first time ever in a game like this it's a tie for me - both regarding the aforementioned tunes, and the albums themselves: 3-3.

first 4 paranoid, last 3 aqualung

Aqualung unlucky to have been up against War Pigs.

Gonna have to relisten to both, but I'm predicting an edge to Paranoid, but upon a preliminary listen my version of Aqualung was shit quality so ill be using youtube for that album

Aqualung is thrashed by Sabbath 5 - 2. Next up is Zeppelin IV. A slightly closer match perhaps but still a clear favorite in a Zep.

[8] Black Dog V Brighton Rock [10]
[8.5] Rock and Rol
l V Killer Queen [8]
[8.5] Battle Of Evermore V Medley [8]
[10] Stairway To Heaven V Now I'm Here [9]
[9] Misty Mountain Hop V Stone Cold Crazy [8.5]
[8.5] Going To California V Misfire [7.5]
[10] When The Levee Breaks V In The Laps of the Gods... Revisited [8]

6-1 for Zeppelin​

Black Dog vs Brighton Rock is going to decide this one

6-1 for Zeppelin.
Stone Cold Crazy the only winner for Queen. Misty Mountain Hop is easily the worst Zep song here and Stone Cold Crazy is easily the best Queen song here, for me. Stone Cold Crazy would have beat most other song in the round, too.

I've seen Black Dog played live by cover bands many times and this may just give it the edge; the fact that I've had good times in its company. Brighton Rock has several enjoyable parts but for me it isn't as memorable as the riff in Black Dog.

Not familiar with sheer heart attack other than the songs on the greatest hits album and stone cold crazy due to the Metallica cover, so can't vote.

This has been a real horse race. There was a brief point where Zeppelin had a two song edge on Queen but now it looks like it’ll probably be another 4 - 3 victory with the opening pair deciding it. Personally I don’t think it should be that close. Brighton Rock has some great moments but it’s a bit too noodly for my taste. Black Dog is a tight blues rocker. However, I wish the first two Zeppelin songs switched spots. I much prefer Rock and Roll to Black Dog so it’s a bummer not being able to vote for it (hard to beat Killer Queen).

Surprised Misfire has any votes at all. Queen bias! That song is the ultimate filler track and barely even made it into this game. Going To California is an excellent folksy ballad.

Surprised Misfire has any votes at all. Queen bias! That song is the ultimate filler track and barely even made it into this game.

I... can't agree. It's one of the most unique sounding songs in the discography, it's got a great vocal melody and is a perfect Red Special showcase. I very nearly voted for it, but I like the Zep song just a little tad more.

EDIT: Actually, upon relistening, I'd like to change my vote, if that's possible. -_-

Sheer Heart Attack put up an impressive fight but in the end Zep pulled through. Our final round is perhaps the most predictable and appropriate one for a grandfathers of metal game: Zep IV vs Paranoid. Two major essentials.

Back